BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
lxada269
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Help! Someone screwed up, but not sure who.

Problem: The tires that are on my car are not the ones I ordered, and are rubbing.

What happened: I ordered, from TireRack, 245/35R19 Pilot Super Sports for the front, and 265/35R19 Pilot Super Sports for the rear. They were delivered to a local autoshop that said they could install the tires. The local tireshop received the tires, but told me they actually did not have the equipment to install 19 inch tires. He recommended I go to Discount Tire. I took his advice - I went by his shop, picked up the tires, and took them to Discount Tire. When I picked up the tires I looked at the invoice for the tires - it was correct. I'm not sure I checked the actual tires though. Anyway, the tires waited at Discount Tire for my wheels to come in (about a week). The wheels came in, and on Friday I had the wheels and tires installed. I noticed today (Sunday, 2 days later) that the tires were rubbing. I checked the tires, and they are actually 275/35R19 tires! However, I'm not sure whose fault it is - I *think* it was TireRack, but can't confirm. It's also possible Discount Tire put the wrong tires on. Discount Tire is closed on Sunday's, so I can't call.

A.) Any advice?
B.) Think it's ok to drive for a couple days with tires rubbing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It depends how bad they are rubbing. If its not bad then you should be ok for a couple days. If you're hoping to have them swapped out by whoever mad the mistake I would avoid any kind of wear though. This includes rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

In most cases the 275/35 19's will work fine on the rear.
What wheels are you using?
What is the width and offset?
Do you have a sedan (E90), Coupe (E92), or convertible (E93)?
Can you tell where the contact is?
      02-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
lxada269
Rep

I ordered the genuine OEM ZCP wheels (from dealership).

I have E92.

The contact is in the front wheels, but back part, and only when turning. I think the backs should be fine.

As far as width, etc., I just ordered the 19s and had them put on - no spacers or anything.

Last edited by lxada269; 02-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: excluded info
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

My CH-Rs with 255
rub very slightly when turning (full lock). Over time, it is nearly gone away. There is a small rub mark on the fender liner and it doesn't appear to be hurting anything so it doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxada269 View Post
I ordered the genuine OEM ZCP wheels (from dealership).

I have E92.

The contact is in the front wheels, but back part, and only when turning. I think the backs should be fine.

As far as width, etc., I just ordered the 19s and had them put on - no spacers or anything.
So, what you actually have on the car is 4 275/35's? If that's the case, the 275's will rub hard on the front.
      02-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
So, what you actually have on the car is 4 275/35's? If that's the case, the 275's will rub hard on the front.
+1 275/35 will rub on the front, definitely at full lock!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
lxada269
Rep

yes, they rub hard. I'm hoping either Discount Tire or TireRack will fix this for me but I'm not sure exactly how to approach it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes, they rub hard. I'm hoping either Discount Tire or TireRack will fix this for me but I'm not sure exactly how to approach it.
On Monday,
1. Check with the Discount Tire that installed your tires. Find out if there was any way they could have installed any tires but yours (ie: some others that they had in stock).
Once you've confirmed that your tires were installed:
2. Check with the local tire shop that received the tires from Tire Rack. Ask if they had any other PSS tires on hand other than yours.
Once you've confirmed that the tires on your car are the ones that were shipped from Tire Rack to the extent that you can determine:
3. Call Tire Rack and tell your story.

I recall that tires are tracked by serial number. It's possible Tire Rack will have a record of what you were sent. It's equally possible that someone else got your tires due to a shipping mix up (either by Tire Rack or the shipper) leaving the paper trail correct, but the tires wrong. I'd be extremely surprised if Tire Rack didn't take care of you provided that you can confirm that your tire shop received the wrong tires.
      02-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
lxada269
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
On Monday,
1. Check with the Discount Tire that installed your tires. Find out if there was any way they could have installed any tires but yours (ie: some others that they had in stock).
Once you've confirmed that your tires were installed:
2. Check with the local tire shop that received the tires from Tire Rack. Ask if they had any other PSS tires on hand other than yours.
Once you've confirmed that the tires on your car are the ones that were shipped from Tire Rack to the extent that you can determine:
3. Call Tire Rack and tell your story.

I recall that tires are tracked by serial number. It's possible Tire Rack will have a record of what you were sent. It's equally possible that someone else got your tires due to a shipping mix up (either by Tire Rack or the shipper) leaving the paper trail correct, but the tires wrong. I'd be extremely surprised if Tire Rack didn't take care of you provided that you can confirm that your tire shop received the wrong tires.
That's what I plan to do, but I'll have to drive it tomorrow. Can the rubbing mess up the car at all, or will it just mess up the tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's what I plan to do, but I'll have to drive it tomorrow. Can the rubbing mess up the car at all, or will it just mess up the tires?
Depends on how bad and where the tire is rubbing. It's very likely you could wear thru the fender liner due to rubbing. Less likely, you could damage the fender if you fully compress the suspension. Rubbing also could create a ridge and/or lip around the circumference of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As long as the tire isn't hitting any suspension components, there's only the plastic fender liner to hit. It will wear through eventually. Primarily the tire is at risk. Should be ok with a couple of days of careful use. Your issue is going to be how Tire Rack is going to be about taking back tires that you've used.
      02-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

OP, feel free to email me to ben@tirerack.com with your order # and I can look into this. 275/35R19 will almost certainly rub on the front.
      02-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
lxada269
Rep

Thanks guys!

I called Discount Tire today, and it was them who made the mistake. I was thinking it would not have been their mistake, but sure enough, it was. No problem for me - they installed the correct tires this morning. Problem for the guy who was supposed to have the 275s. Discount Tire said it was an expensive mistake on their part, so I'm assuming they are going own up to their mistake and tell the guy. I had driven about 50 miles on them. Doesn't look like there is any damage to my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Glad to hear it all worked out, and that Discount was upfront about their mistake. Enjoy your new PSS!
      02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I called Discount Tire today, and it was them who made the mistake. I was thinking it would not have been their mistake, but sure enough, it was. No problem for me - they installed the correct tires this morning. Problem for the guy who was supposed to have the 275s. Discount Tire said it was an expensive mistake on their part, so I'm assuming they are going own up to their mistake and tell the guy. I had driven about 50 miles on them. Doesn't look like there is any damage to my car.
Thanks for the feedback. Many times we have no idea what happens. I'm surprised your local Discount Tire had a similar sized set of PSS's sitting around to wrongly put on you car. Definitely the simplest outcome for you.
      02-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Glad to hear it all worked out, and that Discount was upfront about their mistake. Enjoy your new PSS!
+1 Glad to hear things worked out!
Appreciate 0