BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #89
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

My first love when I was 16 was the '98 Cobra and eventually owned a 2002 Mustang GT. I've been a mustang guy my whole life and am happy to see Ford heading in the right direction. I for one am going to test drive the BOSS 302 once it's out!
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #90
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Just some quick impressions on the Laguna Seca Edition: We were at Laguna for the Press intro during the Historics. I sat in the car and spoke at length to one of the Ford employees (he's in one of the videos). The interior is very well done and the Recaro seats are very comfortable, although the padding is a little soft, they seem like they will work well holding you in place. The steering wheel is alacantara , but thin like a stock wheel. Otherwise, much like stock other than trim and gauges. You sit low and you feel you are in a much bigger car than the M3. They gave us the key and let me fire it up and rev the motor- sounded very loud and snarled and backfired when releasing the throttle. Turns out that there are side exhausts that are opened up right by the doors that takes about five minutes. They told us these make it a quad exhaust for track duty (two side and two rear). Obviously they were opened up as the car had been on the track previously that day. He lit up when we told them I was an M3 owner and he proceeded to point out the other track ready features (I think he was surprised to talk to an owner of their target car!). He covered the shocks and brakes and told us that Ford will publish settings for each track for the shocks. As to weight he said "It will be 75 lbs lighter than the M3."

The car we saw was the silver version with orange graphics. Very bright orange graphics- you will not blend with this car. The splitter is just waiting for a low curb but looks very track ready. They told us quite a lot of care was spent on the front splitter and that the under tray gives some additional benefit. If you look at the press information I think you will see the splitter under tray goes all the way past the front axle or close to it. He mentioned that they also spent considerable time directing airflow in the rear and that most of these changes came directly from the race effort. The Corsa Pirellis look like they held up very well to track use, especially compared to the P-Zeros that were on the stock Boss 302's that had similar track time.

All in all, very well done and very tempting package. Good work by Ford and we all laughed reading the press release at the track the next day. We thought the Ford guy just liked us or something, but once we read the comment in the press release about the M3 we understood why he spent so much time with us!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #91
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Just some quick impressions on the Laguna Seca Edition: We were at Laguna for the Press intro during the Historics. I sat in the car and spoke at length to one of the Ford employees (he's in one of the videos). The interior is very well done and the Recaro seats are very comfortable, although the padding is a little soft, they seem like they will work well holding you in place. The steering wheel is alacantara , but thin like a stock wheel. Otherwise, much like stock other than trim and gauges. You sit low and you feel you are in a much bigger car than the M3. They gave us the key and let me fire it up and rev the motor- sounded very loud and snarled and backfired when releasing the throttle. Turns out that there are side exhausts that are opened up right by the doors that takes about five minutes. They told us these make it a quad exhaust for track duty (two side and two rear). Obviously they were opened up as the car had been on the track previously that day. He lit up when we told them I was an M3 owner and he proceeded to point out the other track ready features (I think he was surprised to talk to an owner of their target car!). He covered the shocks and brakes and told us that Ford will publish settings for each track for the shocks. As to weight he said "It will be 75 lbs lighter than the M3."

The car we saw was the silver version with orange graphics. Very bright orange graphics- you will not blend with this car. The splitter is just waiting for a low curb but looks very track ready. They told us quite a lot of care was spent on the front splitter and that the under tray gives some additional benefit. If you look at the press information I think you will see the splitter under tray goes all the way past the front axle or close to it. He mentioned that they also spent considerable time directing airflow in the rear and that most of these changes came directly from the race effort. The Corsa Pirellis look like they held up very well to track use, especially compared to the P-Zeros that were on the stock Boss 302's that had similar track time.

All in all, very well done and very tempting package. Good work by Ford and we all laughed reading the press release at the track the next day. We thought the Ford guy just liked us or something, but once we read the comment in the press release about the M3 we understood why he spent so much time with us!
i really like the dedication that went into the Boss 302, there was a big fear that it was going to be bullit like package. Wow did they delivered
the LS also has Front disc brake cooling ducts.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #92
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeKiller View Post
i really like the dedication that went into the Boss 302, there was a big fear that it was going to be bullit like package. Wow did they delivered
the LS also has Front disc brake cooling ducts.
Yeah, I forgot to mention the Laguna Seca edition has extra cooling for the front brakes with special ducting. Again this is derived from their race effort.

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #93
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Yeah, I forgot to mention the Laguna Seca edition has extra cooling for the front brakes with special ducting. Again this is derived from their race effort.
the LS has a 180mph speedometer, did the guys tell you if it was limited?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #94
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

The standard BOSS 302 has the cooling brake ducts as an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #95
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

So some insiders have hinted that the [what some seem to think is ugly] red color offset on the LS models has more meaning than has been led on. This is highly subjective, but rumor has it that Ford will be offering a 'red' key with the Laguna model which will be encoded with a different ECU map, pushing the redline of the engine well past 8,000 RPM (I think the GA 302R redlines at 8,500 RPM). As the engine in the street Boss' is essentially the same as the GA cars, and some of the press releases that accompanied the Boss and Boss LS read 'redline at or above 7,500 RPM', which is pretty ambiguous language, I think there are more surprises to come for this Boss.

All I can say is
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #96
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
So some insiders have hinted that the [what some seem to think is ugly] red color offset on the LS models has more meaning than has been led on. This is highly subjective, but rumor has it that Ford will be offering a 'red' key with the Laguna model which will be encoded with a different ECU map, pushing the redline of the engine well past 8,000 RPM (I think the GA 302R redlines at 8,500 RPM). As the engine in the street Boss' is essentially the same as the GA cars, and some of the press releases that accompanied the Boss and Boss LS read 'redline at or above 7,500 RPM', which is pretty ambiguous language, I think there are more surprises to come for this Boss.

All I can say is
that would be really cool
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #97
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

All I can say is
Red Key? If that turns out to be true, how freakin' awesome would that be? Like I've said before in this thread, Ford has really stepped up. I really respect that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #98
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Red Key? If that turns out to be true, how freakin' awesome would that be? Like I've said before in this thread, Ford has really stepped up. I really respect that.
Key is real, lets thank Jay leno for blurring it out in his 302 visual review
link:http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...-seca-edition/ o the sound is AWESOME!

Last edited by SnakeKiller; 08-25-2010 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #99
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

How exciting...the red key map deal reminds me of my friends Honda NSR 250. The race bike cames w/ 3 keys, street, sporty, and HRC race spec.
      08-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #100
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckistryke View Post
How exciting...the red key map deal reminds me of my friends Honda NSR 250. The race bike cames w/ 3 keys, street, sporty, and HRC race spec.
3 keys wow
ford has the MyKey for the regular mustang, maybe its something like that
but with special secret settings For the track. something like the GTR in Japan, were if you go to the track the limiter's switch off. The LS does have a 180mph speedometer and 9k tachometer.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #101
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

bush-art? You paint neked ladies? LOL.

Anyway, yeah, that is some crazy rumor indeed. I do have my doubts, especially with regard to the this alternate ECU program being opened by a key rather than activated by a button or menu-driven interface. I also doubt that it would be tied at all to the red color on the car. It all sounds rather far fetched.

I am also very skeptical about the Grand Am 302R running as high as 8500RPM. AFAIK, the cars run restrictor plates and the power is far from RPM limited. Pushing it to 8500 RPM would not seem to make any sense.

All that being said, I strongly hope that there is more RPM to be had in the production engine, and that Ford builds a car with the ability to reach it.

Quote:

All I can say is
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #102
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Anyway, yeah, that is some crazy rumor indeed. I do have my doubts, especially with regard to the this alternate ECU program being opened by a key rather than activated by a button or menu-driven interface. I also doubt that it would be tied at all to the red color on the car. It all sounds rather far fetched.

I am also very skeptical about the Grand Am 302R running as high as 8500RPM. AFAIK, the cars run restrictor plates and the power is far from RPM limited. Pushing it to 8500 RPM would not seem to make any sense.

All that being said, I strongly hope that there is more RPM to be had in the production engine, and that Ford builds a car with the ability to reach it.
Great way to get pressI am also pretty sure that the Continentals cars are not running to 8500.

I want one!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #103
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
I would love to add one of these to my stable.
+1!

Ford is really stepping it up... The Germans better do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #104
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

i think its more of a limiter's off type of deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #105
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeKiller View Post
i think its more of a limiter's off type of deal.
I would think warranty concerns would make that a no-go though. Personally, I would never want to drive a car with no rev-limiter at all. I'd rather be able to rev it up without worrying about blowing the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #106
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The GrandAm Mustangs don't rev to 8500rpm, as has been stated before the Mustangs were forced to run a restrictor plate after the 2005 season because when the Mustangs hit the straight aways they were GONE!! Anyone who saw these races in 2005 new that the rules would have to be tightened to keep the Mustang from dominating this series due to the fact these 5.0L Cammer motors (not the 5.0L that is in the Mustang now) were putting close to 450-475hp output. With the restrictor plates they were down to the 400-425 range. I want to point out in the current series the Mustangs that have been winning aren't the 5.0L Coyote motor equipped cars but the older 5.0L Cammer motors. The 5.0L Coyote teams are going through some teething problems and they will have it ironed out for next year.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #107
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Nice!

Any word on prices? Not that I'd run out to buy one, but I'm very curious...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #108
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I know I'm going to be in the minority here (no denying the performance aspects and the interior isn't bad as well) but I think the exterior of that car looks like hell. Play the video with Jay and look at that tail light area and all those "shelves" in the front fascia...

Go buy one and enjoy it; I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #109
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

That car is going to be a bad ass.
      08-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #110
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
I know I'm going to be in the minority here (no denying the performance aspects and the interior isn't bad as well) but I think the exterior of that car looks like hell. Play the video with Jay and look at that tail light area and all those "shelves" in the front fascia...

Go buy one and enjoy it; I'll pass.
Yea you're right, one of the minority.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0