BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #23
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

LOL

Cops pull me over all the time.

One claimed to pull me over to ask me about suspicious activity in the area, turned around and played the 'wow your car is nice game' and asked if he can check out how much space the back seats have. I told him he could look to avoid trouble and it was plainly obvious that he was trying to find dirt on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 04:29 AM   #24
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

...to protect and serve. Yeah right. I'd say: to harass and scare.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #25
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Pure profiling. Teenager driving at 4A, must have been drinking, right?

'Fog lights' was an excuse to pull you over.

Of course, profiling worked to get a friend busted in high school. Yeah, we did have beer in the car, he was right. Cop used a lame excuse for pulling us over, but the he got what he wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
my friend said ur not allowed to carry a DL & permit at the same time... wait is this off topic? lol
      03-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #27
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRS4 View Post
thats bull. The law is that for the first year of having your license so lets say your 16. from 16-17 years old or 1 year of having your license you may not transport passengers at all unless someone 25 or older is in the car and you may not drive between 5am-11pm. But after that your free to do what you want.
Don't you mean 11pm - 5am?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRS4 View Post
thats bull. The law is that for the first year of having your license so lets say your 16. from 16-17 years old or 1 year of having your license you may not transport passengers at all unless someone 25 or older is in the car and you may not drive between 5am-11pm. But after that your free to do what you want.
Your statement is true but some area's also have a curfew, in my area its 10pm to 5am I know because last year my daughter got a ticket for around $300 for being out at 3am and she was 17.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #29
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
I found the info on the Curfew.

Curfew in Santa Clarita: Things to Know
Commentary by Sgt. Don Wyman

The city of Santa Clarita and the SCV Sheriff's Station would like to remind everyone about local ordinance 11.56.020, which makes it unlawful for minors (under age 18) to remain in public areas between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily. Restricted areas include public streets, avenues, highways, roads, curb areas, places of amusement, eateries, vacant lots and unsupervised areas.

The ordinance, often referred to as the "curfew ordinance," was created to help keep minors from loitering within city limits. It is not meant to preclude young people from having fun. Additionally, there are several exceptions to the ordinance. These include:

* when the minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian, or by his or her spouse who is over age 18;

* when the minor is on a parent-directed errand without detour or stop;

* when the minor is in a motor vehicle involved in interstate travel;

* when the minor is involved in employment activity or going to or from work without detour or stop;

* when the minor is involved in an emergency situation;

* when the minor is attending an official school or religious activity, or a recreational activity sponsored by the city, a civic organization or a similar entity that takes responsibility for the minor going to or from the event without detour or stop.

A $360 ticket will be issued for the first violation of the ordinance. If left unpaid, the minor's driver's license may be suspended. Alternately, if the minor is not yet licensed, he or she will not be issued a driver's license until restitution is made for the citation.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #30
Neurorad
Major
Rep

$360? What a load of crap.

Lots of good kids like to stay out late, too. I know I did, and was usually good.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 03:44 AM   #31
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
quick q...since the officer took my permit and i got no ticket , etc is that a done deal that night or will he like post it in the station and keep me and my car in memory?
Generally speaking, we just send any licenses we take back to the state of origin. I will only take one if it is expired and they have another form of ID - to keep them from passing it off to someone else as a fake ID.

As far as posting it somewhere, I doubt it. I'm not a ticket kinda guy, so I might pull 2-4 people during a 12hr shift. On the odd occasion I do write a ticket, I usually have to pull my video of the stop to remember it. I will on occasion remember a vehicle stopped previously - and if I do there is an associated reason behind that (ie. criminal activity, prior arrest, etc.).

Quote:
my uncle is a cop and basically, they can pull you over for no reason at all
Basically, if your uncle told you that he was either lying or is a bad cop. We all must have probable cause to stop a vehicle. About the only time I'd pull someone without a violation is when the vehicle matches something we've been told to look for - specific make, model, color, tag. I've seen too much evidence supressed over the years on other's cases for seeing a car matchign a bolo, putting it on the side, then finding something inside. I'll just follow them and get picky about the small stuff. Again, that is when I have a reason to be looking at that car - burglary suspect, etc.

Sounds like the OP ran into a prick of a cop. If you seriously did not have your fogs on and he pulled you for that, I'd make damn sure I documented it somehow. If you run into him again and it's the same thing, I'd be making a call to a supervisor. I've gotten on one of my guys for trumping up BS stops. Thank goodness he's no longer with us. I never liked backing him up on calls because I didn't know if I could trust what he said to be true. Not at all what you want to think of a cop.

Finally, don't let one bad experience ruin us all. Yeah, we're the bad guys with regard to having fun driving... it's just a game. You play your part and I'll play mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #32
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
If you are under 18 in CA you can't operate a vehicle from 11PM til 6AM not sure in NY.
It's stupid in NY. Thankfully I got my license about a year before all this crap went in effect.

In NY, you can't drive between 9 or 10pm to 6am with a juniors license, unless you have a adult at least 21 years of age in the car with you.
And driving on parkway is prohibited.

You can upgrade to adult license at 17 years old when you take a driver study course (avail in most high schools), otherwise wait til you're 18.

Now they have graduated licensing in NY so I don't know the details of it.

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #33
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacked View Post
Generally speaking, we just send any licenses we take back to the state of origin. I will only take one if it is expired and they have another form of ID - to keep them from passing it off to someone else as a fake ID.

As far as posting it somewhere, I doubt it. I'm not a ticket kinda guy, so I might pull 2-4 people during a 12hr shift. On the odd occasion I do write a ticket, I usually have to pull my video of the stop to remember it. I will on occasion remember a vehicle stopped previously - and if I do there is an associated reason behind that (ie. criminal activity, prior arrest, etc.).

Basically, if your uncle told you that he was either lying or is a bad cop. We all must have probable cause to stop a vehicle. About the only time I'd pull someone without a violation is when the vehicle matches something we've been told to look for - specific make, model, color, tag. I've seen too much evidence supressed over the years on other's cases for seeing a car matchign a bolo, putting it on the side, then finding something inside. I'll just follow them and get picky about the small stuff. Again, that is when I have a reason to be looking at that car - burglary suspect, etc.

Sounds like the OP ran into a prick of a cop. If you seriously did not have your fogs on and he pulled you for that, I'd make damn sure I documented it somehow. If you run into him again and it's the same thing, I'd be making a call to a supervisor. I've gotten on one of my guys for trumping up BS stops. Thank goodness he's no longer with us. I never liked backing him up on calls because I didn't know if I could trust what he said to be true. Not at all what you want to think of a cop.

Finally, don't let one bad experience ruin us all. Yeah, we're the bad guys with regard to having fun driving... it's just a game. You play your part and I'll play mine.
Thank you for chiming in, officer. What kind of radar does your department use? Which county in AL?

You pulled us over for an improper turn? The rear tire crossed the double yellow of the road we were turning onto? Yes, that green thing by my foot IS a bottle of beer; it wouldn't fit under the seat with the rest of them. No, they're not mine (my 5 cans are in my pockets). Why are you handcuffing my friend?

Buying some 335's for the department? That would be classy, being pulled by an e93.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

We just got rid of our radars and went laser. I let my cert expire about 4yrs ago so I didn't have to carry one - don't know what type we have now. I have not done the training on the laser, so I couldn't tell you what it is, either. Again, I'm not a ticket guy - call 911 on a domestic and I'm hammer down your way.

I wish we had some 335s for patrol. We have a few M-Class' marked up. They drive great but seem small as hell inside when wearing a vest and gun belt. The turbo diesel runs hard, too.

Quote:
You pulled us over for an improper turn? The rear tire crossed the double yellow of the road we were turning onto? Yes, that green thing by my foot IS a bottle of beer; it wouldn't fit under the seat with the rest of them. No, they're not mine (my 5 cans are in my pockets). Why are you handcuffing my friend?
Ridin dirty... LOL. Don't forget that small baggie of pills in your change pocket. The sucker and glow-stick gave it away.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #35
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Okay Okay seriously. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But can you REALLY get pulled over for FOG LIGHTS!? Am i the ONLY one that didn't notice that!? It's against the law to use my foglights!?
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Okay Okay seriously. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But can you REALLY get pulled over for FOG LIGHTS!? Am i the ONLY one that didn't notice that!? It's against the law to use my foglights!?
No!

And people, stop asking if you can get pulled over for having your fogs on!

Per NY state law, no more than 4 white foward facing lights can be on at any given time.

This is also the reason why the fogs turn off when you use your high beams.

Yes there is a workaround for this to have them remain on while the high beams are on.

Serisouly what kind of a cop looks out for those things? I'm sure there's ricers and cars driving around with "off-road" blue tinted bulb lights.
I have never heard of a cop giving them one ticket for that, even for a different headlight housing which is not US DOT approved.

AFAIK, I do know someone in VA who got their ride height measured because the law says OEM ride height.
You can't even have a cowl hood more than 4" in VA...

And there's one town in another state (don't remember which) which cops are 100% idiots and assholes, they even ticket those with 100% stock cars even with OEM light bulbs that have never been changed, and the judge in that town is also plain stupid, down to the same level the cops; telling all of them guilty.

The news even ran a report on them and many motorist surveyed by them avoid driving through that town due to that and they take the long way around it.

Far as they go, I know they do random checks once in a while in diesel trucks by putting a clear tube in the tank and see if the fuel is dye colored red or blue which means taxable or non-taxable fuel (hint, they take the fuel out of their home heating oil which is also diesel fuel but untaxed).

And at a ricer meet, they even check the engine block VIN# when they suspect it has a stolen engine.

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #37
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

VA blows. SRT-4s regular get exhaust tickets around here when they're bone stock, because officers think they sound too loud. The law in virginia says no aftermarket parts... period. I got a ticket for comptech exhaust on my TL, and anyone who's ever heard comptechs knows that they're not loud at all. When it comes to vehicles, VA is utterly ridic... unless you drive a domestic at which point cops ride your jock.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 04:22 AM   #38
AGIO_330i
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Jet Black

Pulling you over for fog lights is the gayest excuse I have ever heard a cop use. I feel sorry for you bud. That's straight-up profiling.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #39
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
VA blows. SRT-4s regular get exhaust tickets around here when they're bone stock, because officers think they sound too loud. The law in virginia says no aftermarket parts... period. I got a ticket for comptech exhaust on my TL, and anyone who's ever heard comptechs knows that they're not loud at all. When it comes to vehicles, VA is utterly ridic... unless you drive a domestic at which point cops ride your jock.
Quite frankly, I don't want to listen to those coffee-can exhausts driving up my street all day, so I wish they'd have even better enforcement of this....
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0