BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
matrocks
Rep
Drives: E93

Maser Gt Or M3 E92

Hey Folks, im owner of e46 than after e60, and right now thinking of changing to M3 E92...but having to see maserGT zooming down e road occasionally,its really a sexy car as well.. im really tempted to deflect...anyone here owns or testdrove both of em before? need your comments . Btw, i dont track
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrocks View Post
Hey Folks, im owner of e46 than after e60, and right now thinking of changing to M3 E92...but having to see maserGT zooming down e road occasionally,its really a sexy car as well.. im really tempted to deflect...anyone here owns or testdrove both of em before? need your comments . Btw, i dont track
I have a similar dillema. I can't decide whether I should spend my vacation at the Ritz Carlton in Paris or the Holiday Inn in Newark, New Jersey.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Maserati. Its sexy!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Interesting comparison that you would throw the M3 in there...
I would have thought either the Granturismo or a Porsche GT3/Turbo, since these cars are in the same ballpark cost wise...
      12-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Faster------------------->M3
Nicer sound------------->Maserati
Better looking----------->Maserati
Much more expensive--->Maserati

So are you go or show?

Everytime I see a Maserati GT I see a poser driving it who never shifts out of second gear so he can make a lot of (beautiful) noise, I always say to myself "I got a better all round car for less money and I can blow you away at the stoplight or on the track."

Sorry to be blunt and I do like the Maser very much, but you asked for opinions.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

so the M3 is faster then the mas? i was curious about this, we have a customer who has a brand new mas GT and when i drove it, it felt hell of a lot faster but i guess its not. good to know. thanks

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post

So are you go or show?

Everytime I see a Maserati GT I see a poser driving it who never shifts out of second gear so he can make a lot of (beautiful) noise, I always say to myself "I got a better all round car for less money and I can blow you away at the stoplight or on the track."

Sorry to be blunt, I do like the Maser, but you asked for opinions.
hit the nail right on the head! I test drove one a few months ago (not the S), and it is sexy. The interior i felt was a bit cheap. It was like a cheap version of a ferrari with all the bright red leather. Performance and fun factor goes to the M3 hands down. So its all about: you want to look good vs. having more fun driving
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
so the M3 is faster then the mas? i was curious about this, we have a customer who has a brand new mas GT and when i drove it, it felt hell of a lot faster but i guess its not. good to know. thanks
Road tests I've seen have said so, but maybe the Maser is real world faster, more low rev torque? I've neve driven one, so I'm relying on the press.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

So now we have the "people who don't like the M3 are jealous haters who can't afford one" crowd telling us about how they got a better all around car for less money.

They are both great cars that and they appeal to different market segments and are rarely cross shopped.

The claims that the Maserati has a cheap interior are ludricous. I have no issue with the M3 interior but it is not remotely in the same league as the Maserati.

The M3 is very likely a faster track car but the Maserati is not being marketed as a track car. It is a luxury GT.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-14-2010 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

My family owns both and I think they are both fantastic cars. I haven't had much seat time in the Maser, but everything about it seems amazing. I think the interior quality is ok.. its not exceptionally great but its not too shabby either. My dad gets most of the seat time in the Maser and he actually prefers my car (E90 M3) more than the Maser. He got the GT version and he complains about the lack of feel that the car provides.. so if the budget allows, get the Maser GTS? Its hard to describe what he means since I haven't driven it before first hand, but sitting in the passenger seat, it does seem more like a refined GT car than a performance car.

If you plan on selling the car anyway, get the Maser. If you plan on keeping it, get the M3. Upkeep and maintenance on the Maser would probably kill you in the long run x.x.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
matrocks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
Interesting comparison that you would throw the M3 in there...
I would have thought either the Granturismo or a Porsche GT3/Turbo, since these cars are in the same ballpark cost wise...
price of maserGT is no where near porky GT3 or turbo ,seriously u cannot compare them. If same , turbo will be the way to go ( no brainer) .
THe reason im askin is therz a 2nd hand MaserGT with 5k mileage, going around 15,000usd more than a brand new m3.....so....u noe...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
matrocks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
So now we have the "people who don't like the M3 are jealous haters who can't afford one" crowd telling us about how they got a better all around car for less money.

They are both great cars that and they appeal to different market segments and are rarely cross shopped.

The claims that the Maserati has a cheap interior are ludricous. I have no issue with the M3 interior but it is not remotely in the same league as the Maserati.

The M3 is very likely a faster track car but the Maserati is not being marketed as a track car. It is a luxury GT.

CA
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
matrocks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
hit the nail right on the head! I test drove one a few months ago (not the S), and it is sexy. The interior i felt was a bit cheap. It was like a cheap version of a ferrari with all the bright red leather. Performance and fun factor goes to the M3 hands down. So its all about: you want to look good vs. having more fun driving
well...its always the case isnt it ? juz cant find the balance...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
matrocks
Rep

Quote:

So are you go or show?

Sorry to be blunt and I do like the Maser very much, but you asked for opinions.
from the way u said, it seems u wld join the poser if ur pocket is deep enuf
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
from the way u said, it seems u wld join the poser if ur pocket is deep enuf
Read what I said. I said I like the Maser, but folks who drive those things in Toronto are posers who drive in gridlock in first gear to make lots of noise then I said I'm happy with my car vis-a-vis the Maser.

By the way, you have no idea how deep my pocket is. As for me wanting to be a poser, I want to own a Ferrari one day so I guess you are right, but I think I'd take it to the track on weekends so that's kind of a mid range rather than total poser no?

But I did say are you go or show? Which I guess could be considered an insult so I'm sorry for that, no wrong decisions in this contest IMO, but the M3 is the right decision for me.

Last edited by AMOCHOSTO; 12-14-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

my pocket is deeper than urs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      12-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
matrocks
Rep

Quote:
Read what I said. I said I like the Maser, but folks who drive those things in Toronto are posers who drive in gridlock in first gear to make lots of noise then I said I'm happy with my car vis-a-vis the Maser.

By the way, you have no idea how deep my pocket is. As for me wanting to be a poser, I want to own a Ferrari one day so I guess you are right, but I think I'd take it to the track on weekends so that's kind of a mid range rather than total poser no?

But I did say are you go or show? Which I guess could be considered an insult so I'm sorry for that, no wrong decisions in this contest IMO, but the M3 is the right decision for me.
sorry i hurt u feelings...my joke was lame...i take it back yea?
noted your opinion . thanks alot !
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
my pocket is deeper than urs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Probly

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
sorry i hurt u feelings...my joke was lame...i take it back yea?
noted your opinion . thanks alot !
I guess I'm too tired, time for bed, to lick my wounds.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I drove Maser GT. Performance wise is on par with 335i stock.

Look wise different story....
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #21
matrocks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
I drove Maser GT. Performance wise is on par with 335i stock.

Look wise different story....
V8 + 1.9ton body = Slow
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
i agree completely with that comparison. The Maserati V8 has all ways sounded amazing but the M3 is much more of a drivers car. I could only see my self in a Maserati if i was taking my golf clubs to the club and parking it in the parking lot and looking at it. beyond that I think the M3 has a lot more going for it as it has more of a complete package and is very well rounded.
Appreciate 0