BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-25-2024, 08:47 PM   #1
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question Recaro Sportster install: coding v resistor kit v emulator?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
**Help Requested**

Decided to order/upgrade seats with Recaro Sportster GTs [spec -black leather w/carbon weave].
So prepping to obtain all necessary supporting items, etc to successfully complete install.

After probing via multiple searches, sites, threads...still w/o clear understanding of which options [pros/cons] are 'proven/best solution(s)' to successfully eliminate airbag/occupancy error coded for e9X M3s.

Cost comparisons:
  • Coding ~$125
  • Recaro Resistor kit ~$65
  • Emulators $XX [unclear]

Which is the most cost effective, reliable, and proven selection?

Experienced commentary most welcomed & much appreciated...comments?
Attached Images

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 01-25-2024 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:57 PM   #2
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Coding all day.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 09:25 PM   #3
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Coding all day.
So why???
Care to elaborate?

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:32 AM   #4
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

It’s the most reliable solution. You unplug the modules and code it out. Emulators could be reliable but YMMV depending on who built the emulator. I prefer not adding an addition item to fail and just code it out.

There is a caveat to coding out or emulator , is that the front airbag on the passenger will always deploy. We don’t have the European switch to manually turn on the passenger airbag.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2024, 02:12 AM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Coding is the preferred method, as its quicker and non-invasive.

We're located in Anaheim if you need coding and installation performed. We're an authorized Recaro/Sparco dealer.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:14 AM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

coding is free, buy a cable for $50 and do it yourself. instruction to code recaro seats are on here.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #7
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Coding is the preferred method, as its quicker and non-invasive.
Another +1 for coding for this exact reason.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:24 AM   #8
BP709
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3m, Harrop E90 M3

Coding. Almost too easy if you have protool.
Appreciate 1
derbo3604.00
      01-26-2024, 09:36 AM   #9
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Coding all day.
Curious if Expert mode in Bimmercode provides correct "protocols" since I don't have ISTA.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:00 PM   #10
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Curious if Expert mode in Bimmercode provides correct "protocols" since I don't have ISTA.
Long time ago, I checked Bimmercode's list of supported options and I did not see Airbag module listed and I assume they still don't let you touch the Airbag and DSC modules.

I am also not aware of being able to do this in ISTA as the only cars that would have it, are the E92 GTS, and BMW Perf seats that do not have OC3 sensors.

You have a few options if you DIY:
NCSExpert in BMW Standard tools with updated SP DATEN files
BimmerGeeks ProTools on Android
AutoLogic (Probably not worth the cost of the hardware if you arent part of a shop)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:45 PM   #11
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a few options if you DIY:
NCSExpert in BMW Standard tools with updated SP DATEN files
BimmerGeeks ProTools on Android
AutoLogic (Probably not worth the cost of the hardware if you arent part of a shop)
Appreciate the feedback.
Since don't have time or desire to become a pseudo coder, BimmerGeeks or service provider likely best approach.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:36 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Just get Protools. It's an invaluable piece of any BMW owners tool bag, and probably works out the same as paying someone to do a one time coding.
Appreciate 4
BP709228.50
Brandoch451.00
nah dude237.00
      01-26-2024, 05:58 PM   #13
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Just get Protools. It's an invaluable piece of any BMW owners tool bag, and probably works out the same as paying someone to do a one time coding.
Redd - Concur, 'self-sufficiency' is preferred.
Adept in most 'IT stuff' and unafraid of mid-level coding efforts.

My concern is balance of time, proficiency, risk for 'deeper' coding effort impacting safety features...especially in German

Successfully used tools for tuning, Bimmercode expert mode and Autel for various coding/diagnostics/resets.

That said, request a bit more on what exactly and where are said "Protocols"?
Uncertain of meaning/definition...apologies on topic ignorance.

Last edited by smokinjoe64; 01-26-2024 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:24 PM   #14
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Redd - Concur, 'self-sufficiency' is preferred.
Adept in most 'IT stuff' and unafraid of mid-level coding efforts.

My concern is balance of time, proficiency, risk for 'deeper' coding effort impacting safety features...especially in German

Successfully used tools for tuning, Bimmercode expert mode and Autel for various coding/diagnostics/resets.

That said, request a bit more on what exactly and where are said "Protocols"?
Uncertain of meaning/definition...apologies on topic ignorance.
If you have an android tablet, you can buy Protools app from their store. Master license includes both diagnostics and coding.
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-page/master-license

Here is the bundle that includes the USB connector and the BT dongle.
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...ergeeks-bundle

I've been exclusively using the BT dongle and my android tablet I bought for $250. I bring it to trackdays as a quick and easy diagnostics tablet as well!

It's a pretty straightforward process to remove the items and it is in English. I believe in the Airbag module, there is a popular tab that shows the items to remove. They also have a facebook group where you can ask questions for additional help from the community. Or hit up the discord in my sig and I can always help you there or someone else in the chat that might know how to use ProTools can help you out.

This is a breeze to learn compared to the original BMW software installed on Windows. I'm coming from learning DIS, NCSexpert, INPA, and ISTA from 10+ years ago and manually editing manipulation files in german. You wont regret it!
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2024, 01:28 AM   #15
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

I got the same seats on my car I went with coding everything
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 10:11 AM   #16
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you have an android tablet, you can buy Protools app from their store. Master license includes both diagnostics and coding.
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-page/master-license

Here is the bundle that includes the USB connector and the BT dongle.
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...ergeeks-bundle

I've been exclusively using the BT dongle and my android tablet I bought for $250. I bring it to trackdays as a quick and easy diagnostics tablet as well!

It's a pretty straightforward process to remove the items and it is in English. I believe in the Airbag module, there is a popular tab that shows the items to remove. They also have a facebook group where you can ask questions for additional help from the community. Or hit up the discord in my sig and I can always help you there or someone else in the chat that might know how to use ProTools can help you out.

This is a breeze to learn compared to the original BMW software installed on Windows. I'm coming from learning DIS, NCSexpert, INPA, and ISTA from 10+ years ago and manually editing manipulation files in german. You wont regret it!
Appreciate the detailed feedback and insights...I'll have a look into Bimmergeeks for sure.
Since seats won't arrive for a few weeks, time to familiarize.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:26 AM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I did resistor on my driver seat airbag. It doesn't have to be a Recaro seat resistor, any resistor will work. Mine just has two prongs and plug into the bmw plug for about $10. It has been years without issues.

Don't know about occupancy error as only the passenger seat has that. But Macht Schnell and some other places sell emulators for that.
      01-29-2024, 12:38 PM   #18
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

The number of times I've coded this out for friends in less than 10 minutes... it's pretty insane. Imagine if I charged for this, $50 for a 10-minute job...

So let that sink in as to why you should do it yourself. And ProTools, as mentioned by everyone, is an invaluable tool to have for a DIYer, on-track aid, and overall any BMW owner.

Although one thing to note: sometimes coding can cause your FRM to brick. Not to scare you, it's a small percentage, but just being transparent about it. The FRM is not a vital module for vehicle operation (starting the engine, driving, etc.), but it does cause some annoyances, such as windows won't roll down, doors don't lock, etc.

This can be easily fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:06 PM   #19
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
The number of times I've coded this out for friends in less than 10 minutes... it's pretty insane. Imagine if I charged for this, $50 for a 10-minute job...

So let that sink in as to why you should do it yourself. And ProTools, as mentioned by everyone, is an invaluable tool to have for a DIYer, on-track aid, and overall any BMW owner.

Although one thing to note: sometimes coding can cause your FRM to brick. Not to scare you, it's a small percentage, but just being transparent about it. The FRM is not a vital module for vehicle operation (starting the engine, driving, etc.), but it does cause some annoyances, such as windows won't roll down, doors don't lock, etc.

This can be easily fixed!
so i've got a windows laptop with the whole ISTA suite, but am an iPhone guy and don't have an android phone laying around (that I can think of). is it worth it to get protools given that I've already made an investment and will also need to buy an android device?

also I'm a software engineer in a past life, so the windows / ista bits don't scare me. the non-stop german does, however lol

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:12 PM   #20
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
so i've got a windows laptop with the whole ISTA suite, but am an iPhone guy and don't have an android phone laying around (that I can think of). is it worth it to get protools given that I've already made an investment and will also need to buy an android device?

also I'm a software engineer in a past life, so the windows / ista bits don't scare me. the non-stop german does, however lol
With how cheap Android tablets are, you should just go that route.

But if you are not afraid, you can do the laptop + winkFP route, which is good if you are not afraid of the German language, lol.

In other words, it would be more efficient to get an Android tablet + BimmerGeeks ProTool Master license since it will mostly be translated to English already.
Appreciate 1
kolosy1473.00
      01-29-2024, 01:33 PM   #21
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
With how cheap Android tablets are, you should just go that route.

But if you are not afraid, you can do the laptop + winkFP route, which is good if you are not afraid of the German language, lol.

In other words, it would be more efficient to get an Android tablet + BimmerGeeks ProTool Master license since it will mostly be translated to English already.
kinda tempted to see if i can sideload it onto my Catalyst.. though who knows what all Garmin changed in there...

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:34 PM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post

I might be able to help answer this question as I have both and work as IT as profession haha.

Protools does not have the capability of programming a module. It can code, reset defaults but beyond that, it cann't say reprogram like how WinFKP does.
Protools VO coding is simple. You edit the VO and it actually determines which models needs to recode.
Protools also has popular, standard, expert tabs for each module. Sticking to Popular/Standard usually gets most things unless its an oddball thing like coding anti-dazzle headlights on a F8x/G8x.

That said, my go-to is the Protools tablet cause its signficantly faster to plug in a BT dongle, open the app and tap a few items. Let's use removing TPMS and adding FTM as an example. It requires removing VO, recoding KOMBI, CIC, DSC and unplugging RDS module. In Protools, you can just edit the VO and let Protools figure out what needs to be done. If you do it on the laptop, you will need to open up NCSexpert into a Manipulation profile, edit the VOs, then select Kombi and CIC and DSC individually to default code, or add the changes manually to each module if you don't want to lost other coding per module.

ISTA has good diagnostics and test plans for errors. I didn't install ISTA/P because I don't have an ICOM-B and refuse to program anything on the MOST network without one.
Appreciate 1