BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Jaijai
Banned
Rep
Drives: Alpineweiss M3

WTB - Inpact Gun for wheel lugs

Whats the best impact gun that you guys use? easy to use and strong...portable would be nice.....need to take lugs off your wheels....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaijai View Post
Whats the best impact gun that you guys use? easy to use and strong...portable would be nice.....need to take lugs off your wheels....
Actually best thing to get is a breaker bar and socket so you don't do any damage to your wheels. Also a torque wrench to properly install the wheels back on. This is the PROPER & safe way to not over tighten the lugs which frequently happen with impact guns. You won't need ANY air power either!

This is the right way to take your wheels off & on...Please don't let anyone tell you differently
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaijai View Post
Best one I have found is the DeWalt 18V. Will break any lug since it has over 350 lb.ft. of torque. Pick them up on eBay for a decent price, about $150 or so for the tool (kit with battery closer to $225). As others will say, you can spin the nuts back on with this but only tighten with a torque wrench.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=6347
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have horror stories of overtightened wheels because some tech just HAD to buy the best gun money could buy from the MAC salesman...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
To break it, an impact gun is ok, but you need to TQ it down properly with a TQ wrench. Last thing you want are stripped bolts & hubs with your wheels flying down the highway.
      01-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
CSWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: White on black E92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
Actually best thing to get is a breaker bar and socket so you don't do any damage to your wheels. Also a torque wrench to properly install the wheels back on. This is the PROPER & safe way to not over tighten the lugs which frequently happen with impact guns. You won't need ANY air power either!

This is the right way to take your wheels off & on...Please don't let anyone tell you differently
Whats a breaker bar and where can you find one? This is a good thread, I am tired of going to the tireshop to swap my wheels as well....

So, is a breaker bar safer than a gun? Which one is the best torque wrench? Where can I find one other than ebay?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsmoothwildM3 View Post
Whats a breaker bar and where can you find one? This is a good thread, I am tired of going to the tireshop to swap my wheels as well....

So, is a breaker bar safer than a gun? Which one is the best torque wrench? Where can I find one other than ebay?
A breaker bar is essentially a long handled wrench that offer more leverage to break the bolts loose. An impact wrench does the same thing with no effort. No danger in using an impact wrench to break them loose, just don't power them on all the way with it - spin them on then tighten with a torque wrench. Can get them all at Sears, just make sure the torque wrench you buy has wheel bolt torque within its usable range.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

What if you don't have a torque wrench? Think you can just hand tighten them with the breaker bar? As long as you don't go crazy it should work good. I don't think you'll over tighten them that way like you would with an impact gun.
      01-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you don't have a torque wrench, then yes better to tighten manually than with an impact wrench... but I wouldn't recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I'm using a cheap portable impact gun from Harbor Freight that powers from the cigarette lighter (or battery terminals). Only for removal of course.

Altough there was one instance where it wasn't strong enough (tech had torqued the bolts crazily) - so I always carry the breaker bar in my trunk.

For tightening, I bought the BMW kit (from LeatherZ) which contains a torque wrench preset to the BMW spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Wheel tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsmoothwildM3 View Post

A breaker bar is sometimes needed, but usually a good cross-handled 4-ended lug wrench is fine for removal and initial tightening. It also lets you spin it once you've broken the bolt loose for quick removal. Here are a couple:

20" forged: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ion=Lug+Wrench

18" welded: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ion=Lug+Wrench

Griot's Garage has a good set of plastic sleeved lug sockets, for use with a 1/2" breaker bar: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+socket+set.do. As far as bars go, any decent brand will do (S-K, Craftsman, Snap-On, KD, etc.).

For torque wrenches, get a 1/2" click-type of good quality. Tool Warehouse has the Precision Instruments brand. The 40-250 ft lb is a good flexible one and will last your liftime: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW355.html

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Best one I have found is the DeWalt 18V. Will break any lug since it has over 350 lb.ft. of torque. Pick them up on eBay for a decent price, about $150 or so for the tool (kit with battery closer to $225). As others will say, you can spin the nuts back on with this but only tighten with a torque wrench.
The 18V Dewalt is rated at 300 ft lb. They also have a 36V that is rated at 325 ft lb. Milwaukee has a LiIon 28V that is also rated at 325. These latter are pretty expensive for occasional use. There are corded electric options that are less expensive.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I use a Makita 18V LXT lithium cordless impact wrench at the track and finish with a torque wrench. The LXT is small and light and has enough torque to do the job.
At home I use a Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact wrench with a titanium body, it's small and lightweight but has buckets of torque. Both are great tools.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The 18V Dewalt is rated at 300 ft lb. They also have a 36V that is rated at 325 ft lb. Milwaukee has a LiIon 28V that is also rated at 325. These latter are pretty expensive for occasional use. There are corded electric options that are less expensive.
Right you are on the DeWalt, my bad. Still gobs of power in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Griot's Garage has a good set of plastic sleeved lug sockets, for use with a 1/2" breaker bar: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+socket+set.do.
I got those exact same impact sockets from Harbor Frieght for $20. Looks like now they have a different one that's more expensive but it's still cheaper than Griots.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94421
      01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Lug sockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I got those exact same impact sockets from Harbor Frieght for $20. Looks like now they have a different one that's more expensive but it's still cheaper than Griots.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94421
How can you say exactly the same? Those are steel, GG's are aluminum. They look nothing alike. Undoubtedly HF's are Chinese made. Just like knock off wheels look similar to originals, quality varies widely.

That being said, they are probably just fine, and probably a good value. But, they are not the same.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
How can you say exactly the same? Those are steel, GG's are aluminum. They look nothing alike. Undoubtedly HF's are Chinese made. Just like knock off wheels look similar to originals, quality varies widely.

That being said, they are probably just fine, and probably a good value. But, they are not the same.

IME, everything from Griots is overpriced and available somewhere else much cheaper. I've used the sockets I have with an impact gun and they did just fine so I'm sure they're ok. You shouldn't be using enough torque on a wheel lug to break an impact socket anyway. If you are, they were either overtightened the last time they were put on or cross-threaded really bad.