BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Bluedoor2002
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - Interlagos Blue

1500 miles & First Service Complete

Just completed 1,500 miles and my first service a couple days ago and I’m starting to take of the kid-glove. Since the day I picked up the car, I have been beyond pleased with my purchase. Every day I’m excited to have the opportunity to drive it and have been finding myself looking for excuses to go out and drive around. Some quick impressions and surprises:

1. I didn’t really expect so much attention from any sports sedan. While I absolutely love the new M3’s appearance, I didn’t know how popular the car was. Almost daily, I have people chasing me down to look and wave. Most of the attention has been positive but I’ve also had quite a few people insist on “challenging” me. While the M3 may not be the fastest car on the street, there isn’t a typical passenger car that would even come close. I noticed that I had a minivan chasing me along a highway this weekend. I was just looking to have fun on a long sweeping curve and watched, in my rearview mirror, the minivan’s under-steer almost plough the car completely off the road.
2. The car is insanely fast for a daily driver and I love it. I have yet to hit WOT but I have started exploring the higher revs and HP curve and cannot stop smiling. Highway acceleration is stupidly quick. I have the opportunity to drive on some pretty good and fast one-lane highways with limited passing lanes. The car practically leaps from 45 to 80 in a blink of the eye. Unlike my G35 which felt heavy under hard acceleration, the M3 seems to lighten when accelerating hard.
3. The DCT is super fun and changing the way I drive. My last car was a 6-MT and it’s taking a while for me to really understand the DCT. It’s immediately apparently that the DCT acts like an automatic transmission but it really wastes the beauty of the DCT to let the computer control the shifts. Now that my break-in is over, I’m enjoying being able to play with the engine revs. Yesterday, I was blipping gears to keep the tachometer at between a fixed RPM range (ex.3,000 and 3,500) regardless of speed or throttle. The DCT allows the gear shifts with a perfectly constant throttle which allows you to access the engine’s HP without surges in velocity. It seems on the surface to be a gimmick but it really feels like you’re able to access and enjoy the engine’s strength.
4. The M3 engine is fantastic. I know there has been endless debate about the lack of torque but to me it’s the appeal of the engine. Anyone can make 400+hp with 400+ ft-lb. The ability of the car to turn 295 ft-lb into 414 hp is amazing. I really appreciate great engineering and design and this engine epitomizes both for a fantastic experience.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Nice write up..enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

great write up. enjoyed the read.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
R2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Nice write up! Are those the Sport Edition AS7's> If so with what tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Enjoy the car! I totally echo the "challenge" comments.
      12-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Bluedoor2002
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - Interlagos Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2M3 View Post
Nice write up! Are those the Sport Edition AS7's> If so with what tires?
You don't like my rims and groovy treads?
Appreciate 0