BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #67
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
best of luck to you and thanks for info. maybe you will make a comeback like will at unique. he had a shop that failed to and had to work at some fast food place. but with dedication got back in and look at where he is now.

also the tuning shop is not just for tuning. other sources of income would be dyno sessions, install of exhaust, suspension, etc. fame and recognition of the company is what draws in customers from all over which lead to clientele, more magazine spreads, etc.
Isnt that what tuning is??

anyways, you cant really compare yourself to other people. I used to be one of those people who think "look at Bill Gates, he dropped out of college and is now filthy rich. If he can do it then I can do it." The reality is that most of us cant.

Also Unique failed because the manager did something wrong. That's why he went to work at a restaurant to maybe gain some more knowledge and experience before giving it another shot. I suggest you do the same because no investor is going to give you the money when you've shown no experience.

It's easy to say "yeah i'll learn or pick it up along the way" than actually doing it.

Last edited by BMWE90; 10-26-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #68
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
Is that what tuning is??

anyways, you cant really compare yourself to other people. I used to be one of those people who think "look at Bill Gates, he dropped out of college and is now filthy rich. If he can do it then I can do it." The reality is that most of us cant.

Also Unique failed because the manager did something wrong. That's why he went to work at a restaurant to maybe gain some more knowledge and experience before giving it another shot. I suggest you do the same because no investor is going to give you the money when you've shown no experience.

It's easy to say "yeah i'll learn or pick it up along the way" than actually doing it.
thanks but in no way am i comparing myself to them. they are more like idols to me rolemodels in the tuning world. i don't see myself as bill gates at all. i am going to stay in school and get my mba but just saying if anything happens im outy.

props to will for making it work. but i will continue on my journey and we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #69
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
money is not gone LOL. i still have most of it in my bank account. the only downside was i had to continuasly keep updating the hacks, bots for games. all in all you buy other peoples hacks, bots, etc and you list yours for $2-3 less.

i posted before why i can't continue selling. ebay suspended all the auctions affiliated in the same group as in their opinion it violated ebay policy. plus i was selling burned copies of programs on ebay for $100-$500 maya, cad, pshop, all the expensive stuff. this lasted about a year until ebay got strict. and till this day they only keep getting stricter.
See I think you have gotten this twisted view on business and think it is easy because of one thing that worked well according to you.

Now if you still have that money how come you cant use some to get things moving? Maybe work on your car make it a nice show car for parts or just something with that money you have. You have kept saying you have none.

Also you buy other peoples things and sell for 2-3 less? how did you make profit then?

Also I know friends who sold stuff like that before and they had stuff they themselves made and coded etc. And trust me they didnt make 100k.

Also you say you made a lot of cash off of burned copies. First off that was completely stupid and could of gotten your parents easily screwed over. Secondly you made money off highly illegal items. So it was easy since you sold it for cheap compared to the real thing.

Now if you try and do a legit business it gets harder and if you even try and do some illegal shit you will get owned by the government this time around.

Also again what is your Ebay ID?
      10-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #70
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
you giving your ideas away?! bad way to approach i think, but the plans seems neat
      10-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #71
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Also you buy other peoples things and sell for 2-3 less? how did you make profit then?
Because, he was selling hacks and other text and software based items which he bought once and sold many times over and over again. He was one of those guys who was selling stuff for 99 cents or just a few dollars and would list it a 100 times so his ads were the only one everyone saw since he had so many.

Not to pick on this guy but he is one of the many reasons why ebay sucked for years, and why people hardly use it anymore. I liked it better when it was individuals selling things they had laying around their house and stuff and maybe a few businesses off loading extra inventor.

So when software and hardware companies' lawyers began sending legal notices about these guys selling illegal hacks and copied software ebay had to shut them down.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #72
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
the balance sheets i learned last year in college on quickbooks (much better then doing it by pen paper).
As other have pointed out this answer shows how much you do not know, you asked about investors, and the balance sheet an investor wants to see is part of an overall business plan that shows multi-year cash flow, it you estimates on how much up front money you need and all your costs yr to yr and estimates on income and when you see braking even. I can tell you quickbooks can not provide this.

Quote:
target client wise don't you think is not just in your neighborhood but all around the states. that is what the shipping companies are for. my main idols are d/a, aa, and cec. i don't see much in wcc or unique but all the tuner shops don't just get business from their area its clientele and reputation that give you customers around the states.
This is different then what you said before, you say you were going to tune and customize high net worth people's cars, so these people will be local to you, you not going to have people shipping there cars from all over the states to you that is for sure, it not like you Fosse Designs who have world wide name recognition. So are you selling parts or modding people cars.

Like i said my friend does this, but people do not ship him cars, he has a network of places around the country that he uses to get work done. He does sell some parts but the majority of his business is car restoration.

my suggestion is take that 100K you have and put it to work for you, start small and build from there. I can tell you this much, people will lean you money if they see you putting your own money at risk. I can also tell you banks usually do not loan money unless you have collateral and they do not see cash as collateral, they rather you put up a home or property, people tend to not to want to loose their home. But again if you can show a bank a number of years of positive cash flow they will give you money.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #73
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i don't see it easy from what i did. other experiences, friends/family, etc long story to explain

i will use my money to start it. but $100k isn't going to do much. a tuned 335 is nothing lol. you need something special like the m3 csl. 55k and 100k in parts but end result is

yes you buy other people things and sell for 2-3 less. profit is all profit. note these were DIGITAL items. for example a world warcraft leveling guide. its a document on the computer. once yours get outdated you buy other for $13 and i sell for $10. $10 is all profit from each sale. my outlook automatically e-mails you the product once paid.

not everybody can make 100k on ebay lol. there are even millionairs on ebay. the world is not small. took me some time to get used to it too.

at the age of 13.5-14 i started the burned copies. ebay wasn't as strict back in the day and i wasn't the only one doing it. so once ebay stopped all my auctions for programs all i had was the gaming stuff hacks, bots, etc. and having bad days of 10 sales to a holidy of like 30 you can see the profit margin there.

im in no way comparing what i did with me starting a business lol. the work enviroment and play is different. we'll see what happens in the future.

sry, i wish not to share my personal info like on forums
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #74
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
you giving your ideas away?! bad way to approach i think, but the plans seems neat
thanks man appreciate it..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #75
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Because, he was selling hacks and other text and software based items which he bought once and sold many times over and over again. He was one of those guys who was selling stuff for 99 cents or just a few dollars and would list it a 100 times so his ads were the only one everyone saw since he had so many.

Not to pick on this guy but he is one of the many reasons why ebay sucked for years, and why people hardly use it anymore. I liked it better when it was individuals selling things they had laying around their house and stuff and maybe a few businesses off loading extra inventor.

So when software and hardware companies' lawyers began sending legal notices about these guys selling illegal hacks and copied software ebay had to shut them down.

.99 cents man? world of warcraft leveling guides were like $15-$20 lol. maple story hacks another $6, gunbound aimbot another $6, lol .99 cents were for those damn ebooks. and no it wasn't b/c of me ebay sucked. i only listed 1 auction per with quantities of 50 w/ auction lasting 7 days. i didn't sell those .99 ebooks more legit stuff people actually bought. simple logic on supply and demand
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #76
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

from start you need to develop recognition of your work and relation with all your customers. so at first would be slow do local jobs like dynos, exhaust, suspension install, etc and for the few that want their car tuned done. months-years later more recognition through magazine spreads etc and you will eventually got a person from another state that wants your services. clientele later you keep growing and growing, show your work, and grow. im not expecting people shipping overnight lol.

$100k won't even get me a small building around nj/ny area. very true on the bank. i have very good credit. don't know the exact #s but pay all my bills on time. if this interview doesn't go well i will keep searching but till then i will also try to find a shop or a store i can work with on the side for their customers and help build their name and eventually i bail out and start on my own.

only time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #77
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I said it before I'll say it again this is a cool idea for someone young, but the money factor is probably the only thing that is going to stop you I mean yeah you need 100k for the m3 you had in mind, but then you need a shop, tools, machines, workers, and other cars to work on. It's an expensive business to get into probably run you well over a million. If I were you and was serious I'd go to like custom car shops that are successful and ask how they got started but thats just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #78
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

money is the problem lol. i know that my 100k isn't going to get me nowhere nor can i finish the m3 project. only way is if i ask my parent's for help which i really don't want to do.

thanks for the help man. appreciate your idea
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #79
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I have better ideas
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #80
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
I have better ideas
on a tuning shop? care to share?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #81
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i don't find ammusement in college. i know for a fact that cars and tuning shop is the way to go for me. i can go hours talking about cars and eventually have to be told to shutup from friends haha.

but i have had business experience. started ebay at 13 opened store at 14 and made about a good $100k from that. learned from pops too uncles, and rest of family who does business. i stopped ebay last year though to prep for college etc but now that im here i see no reason to spend $40k in tuituion if i know what i want to do and how im going to do it. so as soon as i can get this up and running im dropping out of college and 100% focus is on that.

you don't need college for everything now days. you have the skills, mindset, etc and you can achieve anything. keep it simple, be organized, plan ahead, and be devoted.
I am amazed that you are in College yet still spell worse than my 7 year old daughter
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #82
AHY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e70 3.0 m-sport

Sorry for digging this up, but I think your business ideas could use a little work:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77116

here is decent example of a business plan I found online:
http://www.bplans.com/Sample_Busines...ve_summary.cfm

As you can see, they've got the basics all covered (market research, expenses reports, forcast, strategy...etc.). Keep working on it and you'll get there.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #83
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
I am amazed that you are in College yet still spell worse than my 7 year old daughter
lol i don't type accurately online.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #84
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHY View Post
Sorry for digging this up, but I think your business ideas could use a little work:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77116

here is decent example of a business plan I found online:
http://www.bplans.com/Sample_Busines...ve_summary.cfm

As you can see, they've got the basics all covered (market research, expenses reports, forcast, strategy...etc.). Keep working on it and you'll get there.
the laptop reformat service was just for the heck of it, whoever need it.

thanks for the linky for the bplans man. VERY good site.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #85
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
lol i don't type accurately online.
You want to find this business partner / investor. Time to step up your grammar skills so you can be taken seriously.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #86
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
You want to find this business partner / investor. Time to step up your grammar skills so you can be taken seriously.
true but his is just a forum; misgrammar is alright. i was posting my ideas and wanted feedback for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #87
leejoobin
help
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i just came across this and thought u might be interested.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470769
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #88
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoobin View Post
i just came across this and thought u might be interested.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470769
^ thanks for that, it is an amazing car he got. i know about the loaded csl guy. but that CSL is in sweden. Nobody in the states has a csl. sure there are people that got the vorstiner parts, etc but nobody actually completed it.

getting oem csl parts in the states is hard enough. you can't just go into a dealer and say here are the oem csl part # i need can you get them. you need a connection in europe or a owner of a csl who has the certificate and all documents needed to get you the parts.

so if anyone wanted this one of a kind csl it would have to be with a twist. normal csl is silvergray. our so called csl type m3 is competition which main color is blue.

so the custom US csl would be a m3 competition pack and from there i would get oem csl front bumper, diffuser, roof, front+rearseats (mucho importante), vorsteiner vented hood for a twist, c/f int trim for a twist, delage c/f airbox with cams but w. custom aa/d-a software for stage 1 and stage 2 would be with a fully built head, stage 3 being a s/c. this is just some of the things we would do for the csl. suspension would be MOTONS CS!!!
Appreciate 0