BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #45
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

ZCP. But no decision was very hard.
      08-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #46
H2887
Private
Rep
Drives: M235I/ 01 z3mrdstr

Extended leather,but I went without it,didn't think it was worth the money,very happy with my AW FR
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #47
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Color Combo and if i should go Extended or not.
      08-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #48
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Tranmission and Color.
I absolutely love the DCT (had manuals all my life), but I was a little nervous about potential issues.

Color, I really wanted MCB, but the dealer I ordered from didn't know how to go about it (wish I'd of read forums sooner ). My next choice was going to be AW, but it sure seemed like there were a shit ton of them out there. So...I went with MR. I still wouldn't mind the MCB, but I'm very happy with the MR. It's a fantastic color.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #49
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Not sure I understand anyone who in 2010/2011 leased an E92 M3 with a sunroof when the E93 was cheaper
And a 335is was probably cheaper again? But some people like the extra ventilation without the performance trade off..
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #50
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Ditto on transmission. I thought long and hard about the DCT. I drove both and was impressed with it. In the end my wife told me I was a p*ssy if I ordered a sports car with an automatic. She was right but I was also worried about long term maintenance cost with the DCT.

I was also on the fence as far as color. I was thinking an easier paint like white or silverstone but I am glad I got Jerez. It looks good for at least a half hour after I wash it.
I'm glad I stayed with my 6MT choice. The other day I had my Porsche Cayenne in for routine service and they gave me an Audi S4 with dual clutch as a loaner. I took advantage of the opportunity to really put some time in with this dual clutch system. No question that the shifts are lightening fast, but beyond that it is no different from a torque converter automatic which also meant (to me) that it was as boring as a torque converter automatic.

There is still nothing as gratifying (at least for the experienced manual driver) as the physical motions of using the clutch and the shifter and the satisfaction that comes when you pull it off all perfectly. It is almost like a type of achievement. That said, the M3 is not my DD. If it was my DD and/or my only car, I think I would have opted for DCT. My Porsche Cayenne is my DD and it is an automatic.
      08-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #51
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

not sure, i knew exactly what combo i wanted and can't ask for more
      08-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #52
Sean91
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 AW ZCP

i wanted to get fire orange but ended up with alpine white
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #53
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I'm glad I stayed with my 6MT choice. The other day I had my Porsche Cayenne in for routine service and they gave me an Audi S4 with dual clutch as a loaner. I took advantage of the opportunity to really put some time in with this dual clutch system. No question that the shifts are lightening fast, but beyond that it is no different from a torque converter automatic which also meant (to me) that it was as boring as a torque converter automatic.

There is still nothing as gratifying (at least for the experienced manual driver) as the physical motions of using the clutch and the shifter and the satisfaction that comes when you pull it off all perfectly. It is almost like a type of achievement. That said, the M3 is not my DD. If it was my DD and/or my only car, I think I would have opted for DCT. My Porsche Cayenne is my DD and it is an automatic.
Audi DCT...not even in same ballpark. The M3's is phenominal. Nothing boring about it.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #54
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
No question that the shifts are lightening fast, but beyond that it is no different from a torque converter automatic which also meant (to me) that it was as boring as a torque converter automatic.
I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
Audi DCT...not even in same ballpark. The M3's is phenominal. Nothing boring about it.
+1... I owned a paddle shifter automatic with a torque converter for a VERY short 9 month a few years ago. When I went from a 328i to my G37S coupe, I bought it in an auto (it was the only one they had and I got a great deal). Within 2 months I really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y regretted my decision. It was fast shifting and rev matched but the car felt nothing like a manual... and I mean nothing like a manual even with the paddle shifters. The M-DCT is absolutely NOTHING like a torque converter equiped auto. The M-DCT feels, acts and performs like a manual without a clutch pedal because that is exactly what it is. I knew within months I made a mistake with the G37S coupe (and traded it for a G37S coupe with 6MT)... the M3 with DCT is a different beast and an absolute keeper.

You don't have to prefer the DCT to 6MT but please do NOT compare it to a auto with torque converter... that is just ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

You don't have to prefer the DCT to 6MT but please do NOT compare it to a auto with torque converter... that is just ridiculous!
i would like one of each please. i will take my 08 6mt blacked out and a alpine white with bamboo interior and DCT.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #56
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
You are missing my point. I have driven M3 DCT, 3 different Porsche PDK vehicles and the Nissan GTR. The mere fact that there is no physical action for you to have to do other than blip a paddle is what makes it boring. There is nothing gratifying about the shifting experience. You can not feel through your foot when the engine and driveline begin to mesh together like you can with a proper manual. Perfecting the interplay between a shifter and a clutch in a given car is an artform, and, as I said, very satisfying when one gets it just right. I also drive with my DSC off a fair amount of the time. Again, it is very satisfying learning and modulating the car's dynamics myself, without the electronic gizmos coming into play. So while I fully appreciate the capabilities of dual-clutch automatics, I enjoy the physical interactions with the manual much more.
      08-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #57
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are missing my point. I have driven M3 DCT, 3 different Porsche PDK vehicles and the Nissan GTR. The mere fact that there is no physical action for you to have to do other than blip a paddle is what makes it boring. There is nothing gratifying about the shifting experience. You can not feel through your foot when the engine and driveline begin to mesh together like you can with a proper manual. Perfecting the interplay between a shifter and a clutch in a given car is an artform, and, as I said, very satisfying when one gets it just right. I also drive with my DSC off a fair amount of the time. Again, it is very satisfying learning and modulating the car's dynamics myself, without the electronic gizmos coming into play.
All good points and I get what you are saying. Just don't compare the DCT to a torque converter auto again or I'll have to send my cousin Vinny down to have a chat with you

2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 08-26-2011 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #58
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Interior color ...

Le Mans Blue + ??? + Titanium Shadow or Carbon Leather Trim

My build is in 112 status now, so I need to decide very soon. My dealer said that it could go into 150 status at any time. Argh!

Bamboo Beige? <-- current build choice
Palladium Silver?
Black?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #59
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Interior color ...

Le Mans Blue + ??? + Titanium Shadow or Carbon Leather Trim

My build is in 112 status now, so I need to decide very soon. My dealer said that it could go into 150 status at any time. Argh!

Bamboo Beige? <-- current build choice
Palladium Silver?
Black?
Not Palladium Silver Bamboo FTW or Black for the second place finish.

To me, Lemans + Carbon leather + Bamboo is
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #60
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

To me, Lemans + Carbon leather + Bamboo is
yes i second this bamboo is great color on blue, or red especially.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #61
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Fox red or fox red extended. I went with non-extended as the footwell is vulnerable to scuffing and it was just too much red.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #62
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are missing my point. I have driven M3 DCT, 3 different Porsche PDK vehicles and the Nissan GTR. The mere fact that there is no physical action for you to have to do other than blip a paddle is what makes it boring. There is nothing gratifying about the shifting experience. You can not feel through your foot when the engine and driveline begin to mesh together like you can with a proper manual. Perfecting the interplay between a shifter and a clutch in a given car is an artform, and, as I said, very satisfying when one gets it just right. I also drive with my DSC off a fair amount of the time. Again, it is very satisfying learning and modulating the car's dynamics myself, without the electronic gizmos coming into play. So while I fully appreciate the capabilities of dual-clutch automatics, I enjoy the physical interactions with the manual much more.
If you'd driven an M3 DCT...then you shoulda referenced an M3 DCT...not an Audi.
I've owned manuals all my life, including an E46 M, and despite the fact I have no pedal to push, I still get the same grin on my face when I "whack a paddle" as I did when I popping a clutch pedal in the E46.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #63
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
I think that getting the sunroof on the E92 shows a complete disregard for the performance aspect of the car; hence the E93 is a better choice for less money since performance is obviously not the #1 priority.
You are missing the point entirely, but I'm not going to argue with you. If you think opting for a moonroof shows a disregard for performance then you are just ignorant.

Go the the 'Ring and see a BMW instructor walk you in a *gasp* 4 door BMW *with* a moonroof in your hotrod E92 with CF. That's called ability. And your inability to commandeer your car at the limit will for sure relent before the limitations of the structural rigidity and centre of gravity of having a moonroof affect your lap time.

Good day.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #64
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I respectfully disagree

+1... I owned a paddle shifter automatic with a torque converter for a VERY short 9 month a few years ago. When I went from a 328i to my G37S coupe, I bought it in an auto (it was the only one they had and I got a great deal). Within 2 months I really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y regretted my decision. It was fast shifting and rev matched but the car felt nothing like a manual... and I mean nothing like a manual even with the paddle shifters. The M-DCT is absolutely NOTHING like a torque converter equiped auto. The M-DCT feels, acts and performs like a manual without a clutch pedal because that is exactly what it is. I knew within months I made a mistake with the G37S coupe (and traded it for a G37S coupe with 6MT)... the M3 with DCT is a different beast and an absolute keeper.

You do know that Audi DSG is a dual clutch system, right? This is totally different from their torque converter automatics that do also now come with paddle shifters. The Audi S4 has the dual clutch system.
      08-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #65
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All good points and I get what you are saying. Just don't compare the DCT to a torque converter auto again or I'll have to send my cousin Vinny down to have a chat with you

Actually, you should take a drive in the 550i with sport package. It has a torque converter auto, but, damn, it shifts quickly. VERY close to dual clutch performance.
      08-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #66
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you should take a drive in the 550i with sport package. It has a torque converter auto, but, damn, it shifts quickly. VERY close to dual clutch performance.
It isn't just the shifting speed that I'm referrring to... DCT's actually "act" like traditional manuals in feel, character, etc with the exception of the clutch pedal. Even great true automatics don't "feel" like a manual in how the car decelerates when you lift on the trottle, etc.
Appreciate 0