BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #45
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Just so other people reading this don't get confused, Mercedes is not owned by Chrysler and never was. Mercedes is a division of Daimler and was never part of Chrysler. But Daimler once merged with Chrysler, i.e., they bought Chrysler when Jurgen Schrempp was CEO of Daimler. They became DaimlerChrysler AG in 1998. Chrysler became part of Daimler, i.e., it was never called MercedesChrysler AG.

In 2007, they sold Chrysler to Cerberus Capital Management of New York. And in 2007 they changed the name of the company to Daimler AG.

The Mercedes Gelandewagen was originally developed by Steyr-Daimler-Puch. In the 1980's the company was sold off in bits and pieces and Daimler took over the G-Wagen while handing the production to Magna Steyr in Austria. Just a few years ago they signed an agreement to have Magna Steyr build the truck until 2015. Mercedes Benz, which is a division of Daimler AG, is in charge of R+D, production, marketing, and sales of the G Wagon and G series SUVs.
Just to further clarify, Ford also no longer owns Land Rover. They sold them to Tata who also owns Jag.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #46
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

To further clarify, Tata Motors belongs to the Tata group which is the bigest Indian company around. Tata group compose of Tata companies are Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Tata Power, Tata Chemicals, Tata Global Beverages, Indian Hotels and Tata Communications. Their combined market capitalisation of about $96.43 billion. Beside owning Jag and Land Rover, it also owns the Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company.

Last edited by 1BMW4fun; 08-07-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #47
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

At least if you buy a Rang Rover you'll not bump into something that looks identical but is badged as a Peugeot and uses a poxy Peugeot 4 cylinder diesel. A Range Rover is simply a better vehicle, it's also hand trimmed, just like the G wagon

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #48
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
To further clarify, Tata Motors belongs to the Tata group which is the bigest Indian company around. Tata group compose of Tata companies are Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Tata Power, Tata Chemicals, Tata Global Beverages, Indian Hotels and Tata Communications. Their combined market capitalisation of about $96.43 billion. Beside owning Jag and Land Rover, it also owns the Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company.
Id rather get a tata sumo deluxe over a Range Rover, how about that?

I didn't know Tata owned RR, but that's good to know thanks for the information.

I don't know why you guys keep harping on the fact the LR is MSRP'd at 150k in Canada and you can EASILY get one for 110-120 brand new.

Not only that, but their reliability has been terrible from what I understand. Don't get me wrong, I am not buying a German for reliability but all I"m saying is those cars have managed to get the worst consumer report reliability ratings. Even worse than the benz and bmw bungles from the last decade!

Need I mention how little the G depreciates? I know this is, again, a secondary argument as to why I want this SUV instead of others.

With all that being put to the side, I will say with 100 percent certainty that any LR vehicle is not something I"m interested in.

Why are some people continually comparing the Cayenne Turbo to the G55, when in reality they're 2 different types of vehicles? One is a Chachi SUV that drives like a porsche, the other is just an SUV with a hard riding suspension, big engine and nice interior.
Apples and oranges, imo.

Chachi SUVs are off limits as well. If 150k is being spent, it will be on a used r8 v10, g55, or MAYBE a decked out RS5 (will be 30k less, but thats the only other car). If I don't need an SUV (this is a strict WANT, I don't carry or haul anything. I don't have a family either) then I would get a used r8 v10 which would cost as much as brand new Cayenne Turbo.

As I've said before, I"m of the belief that the Cayenne Turbo is a very very good SUV (performance, all that jazz) but it's geared for a family man whose wife forbids him to buy a toy, and instead he's relegated to buying the Turbo so he can go fast while holding a family of 5.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #49
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

They why the fuck did you post at all, you know what you want, you don't listen to other peoples comments, this is the most worthless post in a long while, basically the G series is a turd to drive, if you want a big engine with hard suspension and a nice interior you might as well get a surburban and save dollars for your R8.

People are comparing the Cayenne to the G55 because they play in the same market, the Cayenne is a much better vehicle in every way, as is the RR HSE Supercharged.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #50
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
They why the fuck did you post at all, you know what you want, you don't listen to other peoples comments, this is the most worthless post in a long while, basically the G series is a turd to drive, if you want a big engine with hard suspension and a nice interior you might as well get a surburban and save dollars for your R8.

People are comparing the Cayenne to the G55 because they play in the same market, the Cayenne is a much better vehicle in every way, as is the RR HSE Supercharged.
If somebody gave me the choice of a free G Wagen or a free Cayenne Turbo (or a well-optioned S) as my only car, I'd take the Cayenne in a heartbeat. And I guarantee I'll have maintained my masculinity, too. In my book, worrying about the car you drive in reference to what others may think of your masculinity means you no doubt suffer from a lack of it in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #51
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
If somebody gave me the choice of a free G Wagen or a free Cayenne Turbo (or a well-optioned S) as my only car, I'd take the Cayenne in a heartbeat. And I guarantee I'll have maintained my masculinity, too. In my book, worrying about the car you drive in reference to what others may think of your masculinity means you no doubt suffer from a lack of it in the first place.
Who says I'm worried? I'm just not 40 with 3 kids, so I don't need an SUV that performs.

Secondly, I never said that the car "restores" or "gives" me masculinity. I simply stated that it's a man's car.

ALso, I don't know why the other person got so upset. Did I ever mention a range rover in my original question? No. I didn't even suggest that vehicle, so I feel the frustration is misplaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #52
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
Who says I'm worried? I'm just not 40 with 3 kids, so I don't need an SUV that performs.

Secondly, I never said that the car "restores" or "gives" me masculinity. I simply stated that it's a man's car.
Well, to me the implication is there when you said this: "But when I look at it, I simply ask myself one question: If you are a proud male who hopes to one day provide for his family the best way he knows how, and you want people to know that you're confident that "your way" can succeed, how does this vehicle not embody that?"

Which is why I said, "Worrying about the car you drive in reference to what others may think of your masculinity means you no doubt suffer from a lack of it in the first place."

I think you get it....

But I don't quite understand this: "I'm just not 40 with 3 kids, so I don't need an SUV that performs." Why would a 40 year old with 3 kids need an SUV that performs? What exactly is your implication there? I'd assume being younger and single would be more the criteria for a Cayenne. Older folks with kids might opt for something more sedate. My buddy who's young and single and lives up in Yosemite (and built his house himself) drives a Cayenne for the performance and the needed utility being up in the mountains; the geography isn't conducive to owning a performance sedan or coupe, so the Cayenne does the trick. He likes to drive but he needs the practicality, too.

Anyway, perception about how material objects (like a car) might reflect on your ego is an odd social phenomenon, that's for certain.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #53
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCartney View Post

That's a laugh I've only ever seen women driving them.
Appreciate 0