BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

02-24-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
TheLuky8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Carplay MMI Box Display Issue

So it's been about a year since I have been able to mess with this but I'm going to try and remember what I did the best I can. Life got in the way and got tired of taking out the radio. The issue is I can't get the display to swap over to what the box is outputting. When I hold the menu button, I lose control of the idrive controller. Hold it again, it gains control. I assume it moves over to the MMI box. So something is working, but something else isn't.

I order the Carsara MMI box I believe from this thread. I ordered it on 2/1/21 so it was the model his writeup pertains to. I attached the model my order history takes me to but the box looks different. (Could just be wrong stock photos.)

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788909
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...1cf24c4dtDkSAO

I installed following that writeup, the bimmerpost YT video, and the instructions provided. I feel confident I got the wiring correct but there is always a chance I messed it up somewhere. I've tried every dip switch combination mentioned by anyone. I worked with an aliexpress customer service guy for about a month but got nowhere because of the language barrier and we could only get one email a day because of the time difference. And it just ended up being a loop of him suggesting one thing. I try it. No luck. He suggests another. Try it. Nada. Then back to the first. Rinse and repeat.

During that month, I searched high and low through the forums for help but couldn't find a similar issue. My only guess is a faulty unit but I'm hesitant to just buy another if its something stupid I am missing. I didn't plug in the microphone because I don't desire it. Is that required?

Has anyone had or heard of this issue? Can I factory reset the box from off the car? Car is a 2008 with Nick's CIC retrofit kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Did you double check the LVDS cables aren't reversed going to the box? I vaguely remember having mine swapped at one point and it would pass through but never switch over - but it's been a while.
      02-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
TheLuky8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Did you double check the LVDS cables aren't reversed going to the box? I vaguely remember having mine swapped at one point and it would pass through but never switch over - but it's been a while.
Yeah the labeling is backwards. Made sure to check that. Tried both to be sure though but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 09:16 AM   #4
maxmitzu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

I know it's an old thread, but did you managed to find a solution to this problem? I have exactly the same problem.

Mine worked perfectly for about 3 months, and a couple days ago it just stopped. When I hold the menu button, I lose control of the idrive controller. Hold it again, it gains control.
Appreciate 0