BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #23
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Gearhead999s - Great sleds, I am jealous.

Sleds, Bikes, Cars, ... are there any toys that you don't own.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #24
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have been driving mine on Wintersport M3s.

Have driven in -30 with no problems starting the car, and up to about 8 in of snow. I drive the car to and from Whitefish Montana every month. Only problem is I got stcuk leaving the driveway after the plow went by!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #25
bmwpwer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Have driven mine all winter with 18" LM 25s. Great so far. One warning though. I got stuck on my street once when we had 15-20 cm fall of snow. The problem was not the tires, it was the ride height. The car is so low (which I love) that the snow built up under and raised it off the road. No grip - no move - no fun. Beware of deep snow!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #26
Alistair83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

This is my first RWD that I am driving through a Toronto winter with OEM 18s and for the most part they've been great. Initially during the first light snow fall, I felt the rear end kick out quite a bit, so decided to save driving the M3 when the roads were dry and clear. However, I had to take the car out during the first major snowfall in 2009 and driving on the snow filled freeways that weren't cleared yet was a little scary. I could feel the rear wheels skid here and there and the back would kick out at times, and to see all the trailers drive by at 100km/hr was definitly frightening, because I'm always fearful of spinning out into their path. But with a little time and practice I got a lot more confident. The good thing is this car doesn't do a 180 like some other RWDs in similar situations. The traction control is quite impressive.

Then as I was returning home, I got stuck on a side street close to home. Just could not move forward. Kicked it in reverse, and the car moved incredibly well. I ended up driving in reverse all the way to my house (about 100 meters) and into my driveway as the snow was quite deep on my driveway too. Driving in reverse is almost better than driving my FWD. I did get some strange looks from people passing by though.

Anyways, I'm driving with MDM on, and in deep snow you almost have to drive in reverse. But I try to avoid taking my car out in 5+ cm of snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are saying about your setup for the winter. You state that you are "driving through a Toronto winter with OEM 18s". Does this mean that you also have the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires mounted?

If so, then this explains all of the problems you state you have had with the tail kicking out and the car being generally scary in the snow. As has been stated many times before on this and other forums.....Pilot Sport 2's absolutely SUCK in snow and ice conditions. They are not designed for that environment and the rubber compound just hardens up and becomes like a brick in cold weather so it provides almost literally no grip. If you are indeed still on your Michelin PS2s then consider yourself one of the luckiest people around for having made it through a snow storm on them.

Now if you meant to say that you are running OEM 18s with a winter tire mounted, then I am at a loss as to why you are having so much trouble keeping the back end of the car from kicking out . I would definitely start with staying away from MDM and driving the car with all driver aids on and as sedately as possible. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 18" wheels on my E90 and it has driven beautifully through snow and ice. The rear wheels only spinning out a little bit on the most extreme of ice conditions so far and certainly no back end wiggling without intentional prodding of the throttle pedal for some fun. Solid and very controllable is the best way I can describe it.

I don't know if this helped. Maybe if you clarify your setup for winter driving I can make some more relevant suggestions.

Drive safe!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #28
Alistair83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand what you are saying about your setup for the winter. You state that you are "driving through a Toronto winter with OEM 18s". Does this mean that you also have the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires mounted?

If so, then this explains all of the problems you state you have had with the tail kicking out and the car being generally scary in the snow. As has been stated many times before on this and other forums.....Pilot Sport 2's absolutely SUCK in snow and ice conditions. They are not designed for that environment and the rubber compound just hardens up and becomes like a brick in cold weather so it provides almost literally no grip. If you are indeed still on your Michelin PS2s then consider yourself one of the luckiest people around for having made it through a snow storm on them.

Now if you meant to say that you are running OEM 18s with a winter tire mounted, then I am at a loss as to why you are having so much trouble keeping the back end of the car from kicking out . I would definitely start with staying away from MDM and driving the car with all driver aids on and as sedately as possible. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on 18" wheels on my E90 and it has driven beautifully through snow and ice. The rear wheels only spinning out a little bit on the most extreme of ice conditions so far and certainly no back end wiggling without intentional prodding of the throttle pedal for some fun. Solid and very controllable is the best way I can describe it.

I don't know if this helped. Maybe if you clarify your setup for winter driving I can make some more relevant suggestions.

Drive safe!
Thanks for your response. Sorry for not clarifying my winter set up. It's the BMW M3 winter package with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires. I don't have the kicking out problem all the time. It was just that day when we had in excess of 20cm of snow and the freeways weren't cleared. I had EDC set to comfort and had the power button off. The traction control light was flickering quite a bit, and I kept the RPMs low too.

A friend of who has the same tires as me, and has the same issues, while another friend with the Blizzaks claims it drives beautifully. So I wonder if it has anything to do with the tires in these extreme conditions.

I guess I also had to get used to driving a RWD in snow, since all my previous RWDs were in places where the coldest it got was 10 degrees celsius.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #29
darkseid2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 E71, '11 E92

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
How many of you guys (if any) opted for a rust spray/protection on your cars? Didn't do it with mine as I didn't think I'd drive it through the winter. Had my last car done at Krown but don't like the fact they have to drill some of the panels to coat it properly.. and it's a yearly thing too.

I opted for an 'elecontric static/rust protection' option from the GM dealership when I bought an SUV couple months back.. apparently life time and no spraying required. Not sure if BMW offers something as I dismissed their post purchase options.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #30
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

I took delivery of my M3 in MN end of Nov, just 1 day before the first snow of the season. With that, I didn't want to risk any PS2 time so swapped to Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. Initially, they were not my first A/S tire choice as I've favored Pirelli A/S on my 03 540-6 M Sport, but due to availability went with them. I've been pleasantly surprised with performance to-date given the severity of this winter. No issues to date...I just hope they are favorable in civilized warmer temps.

Anyone else have experience with the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season's?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #31
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseid2k View Post
How many of you guys (if any) opted for a rust spray/protection on your cars? Didn't do it with mine as I didn't think I'd drive it through the winter. Had my last car done at Krown but don't like the fact they have to drill some of the panels to coat it properly.. and it's a yearly thing too.

I opted for an 'elecontric static/rust protection' option from the GM dealership when I bought an SUV couple months back.. apparently life time and no spraying required. Not sure if BMW offers something as I dismissed their post purchase options.
Rust proofing is a waste of time.... specially if you are leasing.

This thread is encouraging. I am thinking of going to an M3 as my only car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #32
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Mine is a daily driver year-round and had no problems. It's actually way better then my 2006 Lexus IS350 was. I'm on the staggered set-up (18's)with LM-25's
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

Hi have driven thru the last 2 storms with no issues...actually find it alot of fun
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #34
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Hi have driven thru the last 2 storms with no issues...actually find it alot of fun
Same, my only issue is trying to pull into my garage off my (unplowed) alley, there is a solid 8-10" of mushy snow back there so its a bit of a mess to say the least!
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
M3biker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Anybody get wheel shake at high speeds in cold weather? (speed > 100)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #36
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

not yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
awdriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza

very interesting topic which is most important for as i live in Alberta and i am looking at one car to do it all.

does anyone who drives an M3 in the winter also have experience with an awd car? how would an m3 compare to something like a s5 in the snow assuming the same tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Awd will always be better cause of more traction but the real question is do you really need awd... I drove my m3 on the worst weather days last winter and it hanlded it like a champ. The only days I don't drive it is when the snow is too deep and I don't want to rip the front bumper off. This would also be a problem in a s5...
      06-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
awdriver
Registered
Rep

Well I currently drive a 2010 Subaru impreza and love it. It's a shame Subaru doesn't make luxury cars. I like the rally esque feel of awd cars. I think I read somewhere that M is designing something with awd and so is AMG and jaguar. Which has been a long time coming as Audi has really been the only place to look for awd performance luxury
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
Awd will always be better cause of more traction but the real question is do you really need awd... I drove my m3 on the worst weather days last winter and it hanlded it like a champ. The only days I don't drive it is when the snow is too deep and I don't want to rip the front bumper off. This would also be a problem in a s5...
+1
I avoid driving it in deep snow or when they are spaying salt to avoid damage, but on the rest of the days with winter tires its not that different from my 335xi.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #41
awdriver
Registered
Rep

what about vs an STI or an EVO in the snow? wouldnt they have similar ground clearance? i know they definitely arent luxury cars but performance wise wouldnt they be in similar categories?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #42
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Plan on driving mine year round.

What's this car like in terms of rust? Have their been any reports of it yet? Generally a pretty new car e9x wise and I've yet to see any complaints?
      06-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #43
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post
Plan on driving mine year round.

What's this car like in terms of rust? Have their been any reports of it yet? Generally a pretty new car e9x wise and I've yet to see any complaints?
I had a 2008 that I sold in March. No rust whatsoever. I did not get any rustproofing etc. done and it had 55,000 km on it.
Appreciate 0