BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

07-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
i could agree with you guys on this one to a certain extent... yes there are guys who have m3s and just frown upon anything that isn't an m3 etc etc etc...

i guess some maybe took this thread the wrong way...

i love all cars period. Like i said, i came from mustangs..
Me too. I use to own a 2001 Cobra that I loved. It was my first and only mustang, but I'm a big mustang fan. always will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #24
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
Great post Bholloway
+1.....

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
PutterMcGavin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 M5, '08 E61 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Before the 13 gt500 came out I disliked American cars alot and I only gave credit to the zr1 acknowledging what it was capable of but that's about it. Idk what it is about the new gt500 that got me but im in love. I would totally get one if I could I mean the selling price alone is ridiculous. The fact that a little more money will get you even more power is insane and makes me respect this car so much. It's fact gentlemen that American cars are catching up to the German fleet and some have already matched or outdone the German cars. Having said this I wouldn't choose the gt500 over the m3 but I sure as hell would have them sit side by side in my garage. Chris Harris said the engine is amazing but it's still looking for the right chassis...I think I could care less that's how much I like this gt500
I completely agree with this.

It seems within the past year or so MANY companies have really stepped up with some unique true performance vehicles yet BMW hasn't done much more than a couple marketing exercises (*cough Lime Rock Edition *cough). Chevy put out the ZR1 and now the ZL1, Ford has the Boss and now GT500 and Porsche has the ridiculous GT3 RS4.0. Albeit not necessarily in the same "class", the M3 is the bread and butter go to performance model and should hold its own up there...

I see two sides, yes BMW has had some other nice "models" out (CRT, GTS, etc.) and yes it is a chassis was designed in the early/mid 2000's with an engine that began life around the same time (as the S85), I just hope M anticipated the bar being raised as high as it has in the past few years. Would hate for the next iteration to hit under it. Especially with MB and Audi putting out some good stuff lately in addition to americans...
      07-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

bmw is for car enthusiasts only
      07-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burakkose View Post
bmw is for car enthusiasts only
Please explain........

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
It's funny how so many M3 owners on here are such upper middle class elitests.People who work hard to buy a nice M3, but then start bashing everything else, even though they haven't driven or will probably ever have the means to drive or afford a real high end sports car. Yes I know that there are some people on this forum who own or have driven Ferraris, Porches, etc yet they seem to be the ones with the most balanced and realistic opinions. It's one thing to love your M3 as it is a great car, but theres no reason to bash on Mustangs, especially when most of the newer ones are faster than in M3 both in the straights and around the ring.

Some M3 owners (and most on this forum) have such a tendency to to look down on anything that's not a M3 which really doesn't make sense. The M3 is really just factory modded 3 series with a big engine...ok stop your bitching and let me explain (becasue I know that's what you're doing in your head). The M3 isn't designed to be a true performance car and thats the god damned truth. Is it a great sportscar... yes it absolutely is, but its not a car that was purely designed for performance the way a Porsche is, or the way a Ferrari is, or even a GT500. Its pretty fast, and good in turns, but it's not beating any true sportscar around a track. Its a jack of all trades and master of none.

Some M3 owners might concede this, and then point to how the M3 is more sophisticated and way more luxurious than any mustang or corvette could ever be and that's somewhat true. But again whats the price range for the M3. 40k at the low end used to around 80k new? The interior of your M3 isn't Bentley or Rolls Royce quality and its largely the same as any other BMW sedan. Sure the interface is clean and the leather is nice, but let's not fool ourselves by extolling the BMW interior and build quality because the leather thats in the M3 is the same thats in any 328i you see on the road.

The BMW M division has gone waaayyyyy downhill and no longer are they building true performance cars, but rather a car for a middle aged man to buy for around 50-60k to pretend he has an awesome car. And for that price it is. But no one who has 200k to spend on a car would look at an M3 over any other sports car. Its good for its price range, but lets leave it at that.
Can I get an Amen?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
Dave07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

I wish I didn't develope my love for bmw.s ... I'd be a whole lot richer! They just look so good..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #30
UR not fast 'till 600
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Coupe, K1200RS

I'm probably one of the few that has owned, driven and lived with both an E92 M3 and a 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra, which with the right add ons, (subframe connectors, strut tower brace etc) was very close to the M3 in performance and not much inferior in handling, but at that point the similarities end. That group of SVT's had independent rear suspension so were much closer to the M's than the current G500's.

There is or would be no question as to which car you'd take a 1000 mile drive in, and for those that keep referring to track times that's the real difference. Which car can you live with and as long as you're comparing the Boss or G500 there isn't that much difference in price.

Keep the silly emotion out of it and ask yourself . . . "which car would I rather live with?"

Besides the new Mustangs are so darn big.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #31
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

I think the next generation Mustang will be the one to watch. Hopefully they will move away from the played out cheesy retro styling and come up with a world class design that matches the performance. Based on what I am seeing from Ford these days, I'm sure they can do it if they want to.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
JDM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

a lot of car for the money but the build quality is still questionable. Considering the amt of HP it has and the acceleration numbers in a straight line....I'm not impressed. I do like the looks of it (exterior) but thats it. My car would walk it in any race (dig, roll on, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Quote:
longer are they building true performance cars, but rather a car for a middle aged man to buy for around 50-60k to pretend he has an awesome car.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

On the other hand, to all of those bitching and moaning about how the M3 is just a tarted up 3 series that can't beat any sports car around a track, I have just one question: what the hell are you guys still doing here on this forum? Why aren't y'all on the Mustang or Camaro boards boasting about the latest pulley or headers?

If you're still here and not owning an M3 anymore, then you're just wasting your life. And if you're here and still own an M3, then there's got to be a reason for it?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The M3 is more than a tweeked up 3 series buddy, they changed to whole car and they do that everytime they bring out a new shape. look at the E46 for instance and the E92 now its totally different. there are few cosmetics that are the same but who cares. the whole car is much beefed up and the motors are totally different BMW doesnt need to make these high hp engines and torquey engines because thats not there goal I think most M3 owners should know this by now. the dude on top gear said it best balance is what sells the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

i got to sit in the new Camaro ZL1 the other day... yeah, I pretty much fell in love LOL. they changed the exterior design a little and I just think its bitchin!

having said that, im having a blast in the M. Considering making the switch to the V10 R8 next year, but we'll see. Anyone have any experience in the R8?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #37
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
i got to sit in the new Camaro ZL1 the other day... yeah, I pretty much fell in love LOL. they changed the exterior design a little and I just think its bitchin!

having said that, im having a blast in the M. Considering making the switch to the V10 R8 next year, but we'll see. Anyone have any experience in the R8?
I got to sit in one.... Haven't showered since... Jk.... Sick car, please get one!

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
Speedy Gonzales
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
a lot of car for the money but the build quality is still questionable. Considering the amt of HP it has and the acceleration numbers in a straight line....I'm not impressed. I do like the looks of it (exterior) but thats it. My car would walk it in any race (dig, roll on, etc).
You shouldn't be so quick with your claim. There's a better chance of you running up against a supercharged Mustang than a F/I M3 or any other sports car <insert brand/model here>. I personally would love to give your car a try with my 2010 Mustang.. and mine is a 4.6 liter.

I agree the Bimmer is a piece of art. A beautifully refined car with luxury. My Mustang can't compare in that aspect. I guess that's why I love teasing the Bimmer owners when the opportunity avails itself. Plus, most M3, M5, and M1 owners can't stand it and take the bait.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #39
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Ugly, cheesy and cheap looking!
Yep... This pretty much sums it up. It'll take a lot of redesigning by Ford and GM to shake that red neck stereotype associated with the Mustang and Corvette. BMW is more than just a car... its prestige, its classy, its refined, its "The Ultimate Driving Machine!!"

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
You could take a 2013 GT500? That car has enormous amounts of torque.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Powerful engine but to me it looks like Las Vegas on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #42
E Pluribus Unum
...trying to enjoy life...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

I checked out a Camaro ZL1 yesterday and have to admit, its a beast. Inferno Orange in color and a true spartan on the interior which was surprisingly a welcomed sight. 580 Hp/556 lb-ft torque, 0-60 4.0 secs (manual), quarter mile in ~12.1 secs (manual), Brembo brakes 6 piston (F) calipers...14.6" front rotors and 4 piston (R) calipers...14.4" rear rotors, 3rd gen magnetic ride control suspension, monster tires (F: 285/35/20, R: 305/35/20).....so yeah a lot to be desired. The sound it makes is amazing as well; undoubtedly an awesome machine. With all that said I couldn't see myself giving up my M3 for it, because its the all around winner for me. It may not be the most powerful car on the block but its definitely balanced. It has good power, great interior room especially in the rear (something lacking in most of its competitors), and has a level of sophistication integrated in all facets and components. Its funny though because even with my strong commitment to the M I still find myself checking out the Camaro.......funny.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #43
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
It's funny how so many M3 owners on here are such upper middle class elitests.People who work hard to buy a nice M3, but then start bashing everything else, even though they haven't driven or will probably ever have the means to drive or afford a real high end sports car. Yes I know that there are some people on this forum who own or have driven Ferraris, Porches, etc yet they seem to be the ones with the most balanced and realistic opinions. It's one thing to love your M3 as it is a great car, but theres no reason to bash on Mustangs, especially when most of the newer ones are faster than in M3 both in the straights and around the ring.

Some M3 owners (and most on this forum) have such a tendency to to look down on anything that's not a M3 which really doesn't make sense. The M3 is really just factory modded 3 series with a big engine...ok stop your bitching and let me explain (becasue I know that's what you're doing in your head). The M3 isn't designed to be a true performance car and thats the god damned truth. Is it a great sportscar... yes it absolutely is, but its not a car that was purely designed for performance the way a Porsche is, or the way a Ferrari is, or even a GT500. Its pretty fast, and good in turns, but it's not beating any true sportscar around a track. Its a jack of all trades and master of none.

Some M3 owners might concede this, and then point to how the M3 is more sophisticated and way more luxurious than any mustang or corvette could ever be and that's somewhat true. But again whats the price range for the M3. 40k at the low end used to around 80k new? The interior of your M3 isn't Bentley or Rolls Royce quality and its largely the same as any other BMW sedan. Sure the interface is clean and the leather is nice, but let's not fool ourselves by extolling the BMW interior and build quality because the leather thats in the M3 is the same thats in any 328i you see on the road.

The BMW M division has gone waaayyyyy downhill and no longer are they building true performance cars, but rather a car for a middle aged man to buy for around 50-60k to pretend he has an awesome car. And for that price it is. But no one who has 200k to spend on a car would look at an M3 over any other sports car. Its good for its price range, but lets leave it at that.
I still think it can beat a few cars on the track.

it's my wife's DD and easily fits 2 car seats. Think it's the most "versatile"car out there
      07-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Yep... This pretty much sums it up. It'll take a lot of redesigning by Ford and GM to shake that red neck stereotype associated with the Mustang and Corvette. BMW is more than just a car... its prestige, its classy, its refined, its "The Ultimate Driving Machine!!"

Appreciate 0