BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #419
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Shark grey c7z06
Yeah the Tiger Shark Gray Z06 is amazing looking.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #420
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
From a similar thread in a similar topic a couple years back...

And yes the new C7 car still uses a leaf springs and I'll guess the Z06 will as well. There are a plethora of advantages to this design including, lower center of gravity, less weight, less reinforcement structure/weight in the shock tower, built in anti-roll function meaning less weight in the formal roll bar. They system also offers height/corner weight tuning. The only draw back I see to the design is lack of ability to easliy change the spring rate.
As a former Corvette owner, both C4 and C5 I can tell you that they are not the best cars in the twisties. European suspension is miles above in sure footedness... Is this due to the leaf springs, IDK.... I can't speak for the C6-7's as I have never driven one. At the track it's the same ol' story with the Vettes, advantage on the straights and getting passed by hopped up Euro cars and Miata's in the corners. I still appreciate the Corvettes for what they are and bang for buck, you probably can't do any better. But after owning ///M cars, I'll probably never go back... just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #421
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post
As a former Corvette owner, both C4 and C5 I can tell you that they are not the best cars in the twisties. European suspension is miles above in sure footedness... Is this due to the leaf springs, IDK.... I can't speak for the C6-7's as I have never driven one. At the track it's the same ol' story with the Vettes, advantage on the straights and getting passed by hopped up Euro cars and Miata's in the corners. I still appreciate the Corvettes for what they are and bang for buck, you probably can't do any better. But after owning ///M cars, I'll probably never go back... just my opinion though.
I think your views are somewhat outdated... especially with respect to the C7 and its abilities in the "twisties". That may have been true of the C4/5 but the C7 is not even a comparable car. I don't think drawing conclusions on the C7 based on experience in cars from two generations ago is even worth while IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #422
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
C4 and C5 vettes are terrible. You need to update your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #423
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
C4 and C5 vettes are terrible. You need to update your opinions.
I don't know if I would go as far to say they were "terrible". They were both fun cars especially owning them in my early 20's.

But yes my opinions are outdated, that is why I said this

Quote:
I can't speak for the C6-7's as I have never driven one.
To be honest, the C6 does nothing for me but the C7 Z06 is intriguing...

Last edited by ///M3AN; 02-14-2014 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #424
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
I don't know if I would go as far to say they were "terrible". They were both fun cars especially owning them in my early 20's.

But yes my opinions are outdated, that is why I said this

To be honest, the C6 does nothing for me but the C7 Z06 is intriguing...
BTW, c6 z06 is one of the fastest cars right out of the box.
They dominate HPDE events when driven properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #425
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, c6 z06 is one of the fastest cars right out of the box.
They dominate HPDE events when driven properly.
yep, never said they weren't fast...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #426
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
From a similar thread in a similar topic a couple years back...

And yes the new C7 car still uses a leaf springs and I'll guess the Z06 will as well. There are a plethora of advantages to this design including, lower center of gravity, less weight, less reinforcement structure/weight in the shock tower, built in anti-roll function meaning less weight in the formal roll bar. They system also offers height/corner weight tuning. The only draw back I see to the design is lack of ability to easliy change the spring rate.
Uhhhhmmm....my c6z06 obliterated the corners and the straights. And the c5z was also quite a handler. In fact id love to build a c5z as my dedicated track car in the near future.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #427
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
yep, never said they weren't fast...
You sort of did. You said they were slow in the corners.

The c6 z06 is fast everywhere on the track. With a good driver they are always the fastest at hpde and are very capable.

Plus the magnetic ride shocks rival anything anyone from Germany has
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #428
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Shark grey c7z06
Yeah the Tiger Shark Gray Z06 is amazing looking.

I hate corvettes for some reason but they look awesome in the vid. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #429
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

I am not sure if this was posted on this forum yet, but take a closer look at the competition seats and engine bay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lv2F1slIyWw
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #430
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

It is a little disappointing that GM did not design the competition seats with a pass thru to accommodate a 5 or 6 point harness.

I guess you will have to just swap out the seat for a fixed bucket.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #431
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430
It is a little disappointing that GM did not design the competition seats with a pass thru to accommodate a 5 or 6 point harness.

I guess you will have to just swap out the seat for a fixed bucket.
That's true, especially given that the new vipers are all harness ready from the seats to the chassis! Maybe indicative to the type of customers they want to attract since moving over to forced induction.

Honestly, for me, I think the new viper holds a pretty good argument to the c7 z06.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #432
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Honestly, for me, I think the new viper holds a pretty good argument to the c7 z06.
Maybe as a pure track car... but even then I bet the Z06 is faster everywhere and in most, if not all, measureable ways. Having said that, the Viper is a great car too... not my cup of tea but I understand the attraction for some.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #433
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here is another video. Warning! Sexy content

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #434
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

I love how keyboard warriors talk about these cars as if they drive 10/10ths on the track. From what I've seen, very few people do.

First learn to be a good driver using a car such as a BRZ or a Miata. Understand the driving line first and then once you master speed & handling these cars on any given track......then MOVE ON UP.

Getting a Z06 and hitting the track right off the box means you'll be chicken shit for the most part when driving on track with most smaller and slower cars dominating you on HPDE's. With great power comes great responsibility

Keep in mind that most sports cars today have so many electronic nannies that inhibit or mask your mistakes. Train yourself at a HPDE with NO ABS, TC etc, then check back and start talking about 500hp/500TQ upgrades.....

I will always respect someone who can drive an old school viper/vette/exige (with no ABS/TC etc) at the absolute limit and ropes in a fast lap. That's real driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #435
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley
Could that be the lemans race version pictured? Take off a few of the body mods and is take one. Front is over done w the splitter.
No. The C7.R has a HUGE wing.
      04-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #436
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #437
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
I think your views are somewhat outdated... especially with respect to the C7 and its abilities in the "twisties". That may have been true of the C4/5 but the C7 is not even a comparable car. I don't think drawing conclusions on the C7 based on experience in cars from two generations ago is even worth while IMO.
+1