BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #67
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
Ignore the idiots that bash the 1M.

I'd love your opinion on the 1M as opposed to the E92 M3. I've been seriously considering switching as well. I drove a 1M once and boy it felt a lot lighter.
sure

pluses vs the m3 (imo)

-feels much faster stock under 80 mph, and is much faster tuned
-easier to tune / modify (which i enjoy)
-better clutch feel and transmission (6mt in both)
-smoother engine, easier to drive around town
-more direct steering with IMO less understeer
-smaller and more nimble
-more exciting to drive BC of oversteer tendancies and more flexible powerband on the street and on the track
-love the wide fenders and more extreme look vs the m3 (do love the look of the m3 as well)
-love how rare it is

minuses vs the m3

-m3 has better leather and interior materials (though i like the alcantara dash in the 1m)
-m3 intake sound is awesome (1m sounds good too with some midpipe mods)
-m3 rides smoother
-with competition package, the m3 has a better stance in the front, 1m has high wheel gap stock

Overall, i find the 1m more engaging and confidence inspiring. I love it on the street and the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I'm glad you like your 1M and I have to admit I'd be very tempted to try one out for a few years if prices weren't ridiculously high. (I guess that's good for current owners though).

Still, I doubt you track a sufficient number of miles to be able to forecast the engine longevity...

What are your oil temps on track in the summer?
who really knows with longevity, that is always a question that cannot be answered. id say the same is true of the m3.

i paid less than 50k for mine, and paid less than an equivalent m3 of the same year.

oil temps are less than 250 from what I can remember. Slightly lower than the midpoint on the temp guage. I was more concerned about IATs, which with my FMIC have been pretty well controlled.

I do track for fun more than for racing times at this point, so these issues could become more apparent when i become faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Says who? What, is there some secret online dictionary for M cars where the 1M isn't listed? Some secret club where it is denied access? The era of truly bespoke M engines with a separate and distinct characteristic from every other BMW engine is gone. End of story, please form an orderly mourning line on the left.

Go drive one, and come back to report if you think it's a fraud.

Frankly I'm more concerned that M hasn't produced any homologation specials in a very long time. Just mostly luxo barges with incresingly high prices and convenience features. It's not important what engine would power such a homologation special, as long as the intent and execution are crystal clear.
agree totally. the difference between m cars and non m cars to me has always been the chassis. the LSD and stiffer chassis components is what transforms the car the most. and all m cars have those characteristics.

the lack of a z4m is particularly saddening. i would love to see what they could do with that platform.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #68
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Edit to add:

I love the M3. I love the 1M. Both are great cars and come with all the bits you need to enjoy a car. An M car is more than just an engine. Before you go bashing a car I think you need to have it and use it for atleast 2-3 months.
      04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #69
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za

Edit to add:

I love the M3. I love the 1M. Both are great cars and come with all the bits you need to enjoy a car. An M car is more than just an engine. Before you go bashing a car I think you need to have it and use it for atleast 2-3 months.
Fucking J. Jonah Jameson...I'm pissing my pants over here. CTFU
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #70
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

The 1M is pretty awesome and rides on the m3 suspension which alone is enough to make it legit.

Do the same fanboys remember the e36 US car that didn't have the same solid lifter motor the euros got? That was still a legit M car.
      05-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #71
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

You can tell who the insecure people in this thread are LOL.

I love how people claim it isn't a real "M" car... Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better at night. None of the other "real" M cars have unique engines either... Oh wait, does that also make the other M cars fake too?

I own both and don't kid yourself, the 1M is fast. Faster then it is on paper. The N54 is an amazing engine. Over engineered which is why BMW only uses it for special applications now days.

I love how one guy claims his M3 puts down 410 at the wheels without cats... Wishful thinking. My M3 put down 370ish at the wheels, stock. My 1M put down nearly 340 stock, with way more torque.

If you roll race the two cars at highway speeds, the M3 will mostly walk away for various reasons. The M3 breathes better and is designed for high speed, high rpm.

Race the two from a stop. Different story. The M3 will only catch up at very high speeds.. Most races are over by then, or you'll be going into a corner on most tracks by then.

The 1M has all the right parts from the M3, has additional oil cooler to keep tracking temps in check (I've never had the car go "limp" on hot summer track days).

Oh, and lets talk about modifying. What are you going to do to your S65? Slap on a turbo/SS for $15k? For $850 I'm already making more HP then an M3... Slap on downpipes and perhaps an upgraded FMIC and you aren't going to touch the 1M.

Like I said, it has all the right bits from the M3 (LSD, aluminum suspension bits and drive train, shocks and springs(?), brakes) but in a lighter (3200) chassis with a great engine with tons of potential

Anyways, now that I've reverse-hated, I'm not gonna lie. I love my M3 as well, but for different reasons. One of them being its more tame Anyone that talks trash about the 1M doesn't own one!
      05-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #72
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
I love how one guy claims his M3 puts down 410 at the wheels without cats... Wishful thinking.
Think you got that a little wrong, my man.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=49

Dude has a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #73
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
The 1M is pretty awesome and rides on the m3 suspension which alone is enough to make it legit.

Do the same fanboys remember the e36 US car that didn't have the same solid lifter motor the euros got? That was still a legit M car.
To be honest, I never considered the US E36 M3 as a "true" M car because of its engine. It was sort of a bastard.

In Canada we had the opportunity to have a limited numbers of euro editions of the 3.0L E36 M3 with 286hp, which I had the chance to drive. I totally fell in love with that car. A few years later, when they introduced the NA model with 240hp, I hurried for a test drive. The car had such a different feel because of the engine that it was huge let down for me. The true M3 came back to NA with the E46.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #74
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Think you got that a little wrong, my man.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=49

Dude has a 135i.
My bad, 410 on a catless N54 car makes sense.
Appreciate 0