BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

03-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #89
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

dakar, I test drove an automatic. They are damn nice and so much down low torque its amazing. Rides nice and comfy, don't listen to the haters... its the sedan to have for 2009.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #90
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Stig View Post
dakar, I test drove an automatic. They are damn nice and so much down low torque its amazing. Rides nice and comfy, don't listen to the haters... its the sedan to have for 2009.
Ya by the time i decided to get the V, i had learned how to block the sound of that hater. I meditate, and the haters just fade from my mind.

But ya, i agree, its the sedan to have these days. Sure doesnt act like one!
Anyway man, thanks for the support!

and about telling you whats better, im going to predict ill like the V better, because for all the cool things the z06 can do, it really is quite uncomfortable and jarring to drive over long distances.

The V from what ive experienced thus far in a very limited test drive (in an auto, which im not getting) seemed to be much more comfortable and smooth while retaining allot of the straight-line grunt and lateral composure that the z06 shows in a slightly less obnoxious and flashy package.

I love the tranny they share (except for the shift blocking gas saving feature) which in my oppinion makes it easier to make quick and deliberate shifts then you can with bmw long-throw shifters.

Playing around with the z06 and getting used to its tranny and clutch were one of the reasons i ended up preferring the V to the m3, i just dont like the overly insulated and rubbery shifters that BMW throws into their performance cars, when they really should have short throw shifters.

Plus the interior of the V is incredibly impressive, despite the belief of alot of people, GM's high end caddy interiors ARE up to par with that of any german competitor (with the exception of Audi IMO) and has a really nice looking (touchscreen) gps (which is so much better then idrive)

I CANT WAIT

i just hope this GM's roof doesn't fall off!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #91
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
Ya by the time i decided to get the V, i had learned how to block the sound of that hater. I meditate, and the haters just fade from my mind.

But ya, i agree, its the sedan to have these days. Sure doesnt act like one!
Anyway man, thanks for the support!

and about telling you whats better, im going to predict ill like the V better, because for all the cool things the z06 can do, it really is quite uncomfortable and jarring to drive over long distances.

The V from what ive experienced thus far in a very limited test drive (in an auto, which im not getting) seemed to be much more comfortable and smooth while retaining allot of the straight-line grunt and lateral composure that the z06 shows in a slightly less obnoxious and flashy package.

I love the tranny they share (except for the shift blocking gas saving feature) which in my oppinion makes it easier to make quick and deliberate shifts then you can with bmw long-throw shifters.

Playing around with the z06 and getting used to its tranny and clutch were one of the reasons i ended up preferring the V to the m3, i just dont like the overly insulated and rubbery shifters that BMW throws into their performance cars, when they really should have short throw shifters.

Plus the interior of the V is incredibly impressive, despite the belief of alot of people, GM's high end caddy interiors ARE up to par with that of any german competitor (with the exception of Audi IMO) and has a really nice looking (touchscreen) gps (which is so much better then idrive)

I CANT WAIT

i just hope this GM's roof doesn't fall off!

thats ur opinion not a fact....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #92
ericpd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 C32 AMG, 2009 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
wow, all I inteded to do was make a simple joke with my statement above of "why don't you all just buy a caddy"... and somehow I got personal attacks back acusing me of working on Mommy's computer and living in a dormroom???
that's all. No big deal, I'm done here so don't worry
Well at first read, it kinda sounded like a bash. I've been lurking here for about a month. I first wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the M3. Remember, at that point in time, when I started my lurking here, I had no idea the beast we now know as the CTS-V, even existed. So before the CTS-V, I came to read up on the M3,... yeah, I briefly thought about it. After some thought however, I decided it best to stay home,... to stay with AMG and just graduate to the C63. So back to where I do most of my posting over,... MBWorld. Then mostly by accident or fate, I stumbled across the CTS-V. So back here I came trying to gather impressions of the CTS-V compared to the M3 and M5.

Long story short,... I ended up in the CTS-V. So far, a sound purchase on every front safe one,... brand snobbery. With about a week in the car, a lot has become clearer. The V is neither a M3 or M5,... or a C63 or E63. It's more like a M4 or a D63. I've driven both M's and both AMGS and this thing tucks in neatly right between the two classes. A sensation that becomes more and more apparent as your time in the V's saddle increases. Right now, there's nothing on the streets that can stand up to the V,... well not as far as showing off from dead or roll, not even the C63. The ride is nimble and quick, and makes to C63 look and feel sloppy,... well hell, the M3 does that! Haven't quite reached my recommended break-in numbers yet, but I couldn't resist the urge yesterday merging onto I95. Man,... I just abused the on ramp. Abused it so, I feared it might call the House of Ruth. Third gear is it's blue collar gear and by the time you got to it, things were already interesting. By the time you finished with it, things were blurry. Said it once,... will say it again. This Thing Is A Beast!

If performance, comfort, style and attitude are what you're looking, then there's not a better value on the planet. A value that allowed me to keep my C32 and remain within budget. The C63 would have required me to leave the ole girl behind. I imagine the M3 would have also. I know damn well the M5 would have,... along with my stereo, fishing gear and license, and maybe even my 1st born. The real question is,... will it retain it's value? The other real question is,... how much American 'designed obsolecense' is built into this thing. But again,... first impression of the CTS-V suggests no more than into the Mercs or the Bimmers. I know for me, running across these last three factoids helped push me off the fence and onto the hood of the V,... 1.) The CTS-V managed to declare itself king of the ring,... no other production 4 door sedan has posted a better lap time,... yet, 2.) The V also bested the M5 at Monticello, bare in mind the M5 is a three year old platform more or less, and 3.) Here's the graddy of 'em all, the V makes more torque at idle than the M3 does at the peak of it's band,... Damn! No,... those three 'Hey, did you know?' bits of info are not why I bought the V, towards the end, I was just searching for anything, no matter how irrelevant or silly, to break the tie between the V and the C63. Any nudge,... one way or the other. One other thing that finally tipped me over was the Super Charger. Coming from the C32, I was a little afraid I might miss the sensation of that extra little kick in the pants,... and the whine.

This thread tells the story of my travels. There's also some other interesting stuff and links there for those considering the V and find themselves comparing it to the M's and AMG's. There's were also posters like you Heat, screaming at any mention of the CTS-V like it was an illegal alien. "Out,... get out!!!

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...-vs-cts-v.html

Good luck.

Last edited by ericpd; 03-09-2009 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #93
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
This is pretty good info, especially on an M3 forum (I would have imagined a more universal discreditation of the caddy). I had disqualified the CTS because it is aimed at the M5 crown, but it's price brings it within M3 pricrange. I am in a quandry whether to up my 335 ove rthe coming summer or scrap it am pick up the M3. Now, if I had the choice of the CTS-V, now, the anwer seems a little more clear-cut.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #94
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpd View Post
Well at first read, it kinda sounded like a bash. I've been lurking here for about a month. I first wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the M3. Remember, at that point in time, when I started my lurking here, I had no idea the beast we now know as the CTS-V, even existed. So before the CTS-V, I came to read up on the M3,... yeah, I briefly thought about it. After some thought however, I decided it best to stay home,... to stay with AMG and just graduate to the C63. So back to where I do most of my posting over,... MBWorld. Then mostly by accident or fate, I stumbled across the CTS-V. So back here I came trying to gather impressions of the CTS-V compared to the M3 and M5.

Long story short,... I ended up in the CTS-V. So far, a sound purchase on every front safe one,... brand snobbery. With about a week in the car, a lot has become clearer. The V is neither a M3 or M5,... or a C63 or E63. It's more like a M4 or a D63. I've driven both M's and both AMGS and this thing tucks in neatly right between the two classes. A sensation that becomes more and more apparent as your time in the V's saddle increases. Right now, there's nothing on the streets that can stand up to the V,... well not as far as showing off from dead or roll, not even the C63. The ride is nimble and quick, and makes to C63 look and feel sloppy,... well hell, the M3 does that! Haven't quite reached my recommended break-in numbers yet, but I couldn't resist the urge yesterday merging onto I95. Man,... I just abused the on ramp. Abused it so, I feared it might call the House of Ruth. Third gear is it's blue collar gear and by the time you got to it, things were already interesting. By the time you finished with it, things were blurry. Said it once,... will say it again. This Thing Is A Beast!

If performance, comfort, style and attitude are what you're looking, then there's not a better value on the planet. A value that allowed me to keep my C32 and remain within budget. The C63 would have required me to leave the ole girl behind. I imagine the M3 would have also. I know damn well the M5 would have,... along with my stereo, fishing gear and license, and maybe even my 1st born. The real question is,... will it retain it's value? The other real question is,... how much American 'designed obsolecense' is built into this thing. But again,... first impression of the CTS-V suggests no more than into the Mercs or the Bimmers. I know for me, running across these last three factoids helped push me off the fence and onto the hood of the V,... 1.) The CTS-V managed to declare itself king of the ring,... no other production 4 door sedan has posted a better lap time,... yet, 2.) The V also bested the M5 at Monticello, bare in mind the M5 is a three year old platform more or less, and 3.) Here's the graddy of 'em all, the V makes more torque at idle than the M3 does at the peak of it's band,... Damn! No,... those three 'Hey, did you know?' bits of info are not why I bought the V, towards the end, I was just searching for anything, no matter how irrelevant or silly, to break the tie between the V and the C63. Any nudge,... one way or the other. One other thing that finally tipped me over was the Super Charger. Coming from the C32, I was a little afraid I might miss the sensation of that extra little kick in the pants,... and the whine.

This thread tells the story of my travels. There's also some other interesting stuff and links there for those considering the V and find themselves comparing it to the M's and AMG's. There's were also posters like you Heat, screaming at any mention of the CTS-V like it was an illegal alien. "Out,... get out!!!

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...-vs-cts-v.html

Good luck.

I keep on seeing you lurk on m3post and cadillacforums so i figure id just give you a nod, just ordered my v as well. The bmw guys dont take it as badly as youve said your merc freinds did.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #95
ericpd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I keep on seeing you lurk on m3post and cadillacforums so i figure id just give you a nod, just ordered my v as well. The bmw guys dont take it as badly as youve said your merc freinds did.
Yeah,... I know. Wonder why that is? I mean my lurking was an honest attempt at gathering info. To be absolutely honest, I was initially trying to make a decision between the M3 and the C63,... and like I said, didn't even know the CTS-V existed. But once I discovered the V, well it was hard to ignore.

Congrats on your order. As most important things are standard on the V, what did you order? The only non-paying decision to make is whether you're gonna do a manual or automatic trans, and the only really important paying option to drop the hammer on are the Ricaro Sport Seats. After that, you only gotta decide if you want the sun-roof and the updated Bose 5.1 w/40 Gig HD.

I'm still working on my 500 miles, so I've backed off puttin' my foot through the floor pan. Already did it once or twice,... just couldn't resist.

Good luck, and again, congrats. You are now the owner of the "King of the Sedans"! See you over in the Caddy forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #96
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

I just sat in the CTS-V for the first time. The seat I sat in had almost no side bolster support. I didn't realize Cadillac offered seat options so I'm guessing (hoping) those were not the Recaro seats. $3,400 is a lot extra to have to spend to get decently supporting seats in a sports sedan that's advertised as having world class handling. I don't know how useful world class handling is if you can't stay in your seat?

Other than that it was a nice car. I thought the quality, materials, fit and finish, ets... was on par with BMW, Audi and Lexus. They are all different but not in a night/day or good/bad sort of way.

Personally, now that I've seen both I wouldn't trade my M3 for the Cadillac but there's a buyer for every car. It wouldn't surprise me if someone preferred the Cadillac's obvious objective advantages (power, price, size) or even the subjective choice it offers given it's in the same price range as our M3s.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #97
ericpd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
I just sat in the CTS-V for the first time. The seat I sat in had almost no side bolster support. I didn't realize Cadillac offered seat options so I'm guessing (hoping) those were not the Recaro seats. $3,400 is a lot extra to have to spend to get decently supporting seats in a sports sedan that's advertised as having world class handling. I don't know how useful world class handling is if you can't stay in your seat?
Actually, the Ricaro option contains some other important performance stuff,... not just seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
Other than that it was a nice car. I thought the quality, materials, fit and finish, ets... was on par with BMW, Audi and Lexus. They are all different but not in a night/day or good/bad sort of way.

Personally, now that I've seen both I wouldn't trade my M3 for the Cadillac but there's a buyer for every car. It wouldn't surprise me if someone preferred the Cadillac's obvious objective advantages (power, price, size) or even the subjective choice it offers given it's in the same price range as our M3s.
Yeah,... I too was surprised at the fit-n-finish coming from this American offering. I'm coming from the AMG family, so like you I found the interior quality in line with the German,... in some areas a notch up, especially compared to the C63. Which I found a little on the plasticky and cheesy side. When I sat inside the M3, I thought that was well done. But I urge you to drive the CTS-V. Sitting in one is one thing,... driving it is another. For me, the M3 lacked the kick-n-da-pants acceleration offer by the C63, and the CTS-V bested that. I think it's ability to dance in the twisties will surprise you. I did me! And as far as price goes, well that's the only reason it is compared with the M3 and C63. GM would rather have it compared to the M5 and E63, but they are two totally different buying demos in my opinion. But choosing the CTS-V allowed me to keep my C32, which was a good thing. So for the first time in life, I can be like some of you guys and claim ownership or two highly coveted performance cars,... at the same time. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #98
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah,... I know. Wonder why that is? I mean my lurking was an honest attempt at gathering info. To be absolutely honest, I was initially trying to make a decision between the M3 and the C63,... and like I said, didn't even know the CTS-V existed. But once I discovered the V, well it was hard to ignore.

Congrats on your order. As most important things are standard on the V, what did you order? The only non-paying decision to make is whether you're gonna do a manual or automatic trans, and the only really important paying option to drop the hammer on are the Ricaro Sport Seats. After that, you only gotta decide if you want the sun-roof and the updated Bose 5.1 w/40 Gig HD.

I'm still working on my 500 miles, so I've backed off puttin' my foot through the floor pan. Already did it once or twice,... just couldn't resist.

Good luck, and again, congrats. You are now the owner of the "King of the Sedans"! See you over in the Caddy forum.
As you said, theres not many options on the V, but i got all of em. The Recaros, the spiffy trim on the steering wheel and shift knob, the panaramic sunroof, and the navi. Got it in a manual, which i seem to be in the minority who've done so, i just test drove the auto and wasnt impressed, it may be high performance but feels pretty rough to me.

Manual FTW
Ya and its red with black interior.

and you would see me in the caddy forum, but they wont allow my gmail account for registration, so i dont know what to do about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #99
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

GM's come a long way in improving their vehicles. Congrats on the purchase!

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #100
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

lmao

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #101
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
lmao
SICK BURN!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #102
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
SICK BURN!
lol
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #103
ericpd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I, for one did.

My CTS-V is on order.
woot. It was a hard choice, because it came down to the wire between the m3 and CTS-V and they are both so great, i finally resolved it by thinking its impossible to go wrong either way, so why not try out the one with 556 horsepower
I know exactly how you felt. My "down to the wire" was between the C63 and the CTS-V. It's funny,... that tug-o-war was supposed to be between the M3 and the C63! Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #104
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know exactly how you felt. My "down to the wire" was between the C63 and the CTS-V. It's funny,... that tug-o-war was supposed to be between the M3 and the C63! Oh well!
The V may be the new kid on the block, but hes got game.

It took me about 3 months from being sure i wanted an m3, then i was thinking about a GTR, then a z06, then i thought about the m3 again, and then i found about the V. Researched it, test drove it and havent looked back since. Greatest deal on wheels out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #105
ericpd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The V may be the new kid on the block, but hes got game.

It took me about 3 months from being sure i wanted an m3, then i was thinking about a GTR, then a z06, then i thought about the m3 again, and then i found about the V. Researched it, test drove it and havent looked back since. Greatest deal on wheels out there.
Z06??? Are you serious? It's hard to see the Z06 in the same pool as the M3, C63, GTR, and CTS-V. Then again,... I'd never would have believed I would be considering a Cadillac in company with these contestants,... particularly the M and the AMG! And oh yeah,... she's got plenty game. Well, I must confess, every now and then I run across a C63 or an M3 that is just absolutely gorgeous. And when I do,... I catch myself saying,... "Daaaaamn! But you know what? You can't tell me these guys driving those M's and AMG's ain't singing the same chorus,... "Daaaaamn" when they see this cold Black CTS-V I'm driving. Time will tell though,... will the V prematurely fall on it's face, following true to course the American reputation for building cars? Or will it hold it's own and fall at just about the same rate the Germans fall. If the later,... well that's all I ask for. Just can't wait to get past 600 on the ODO, so I can put my foot through the floor pan. That highly anticipated NASA launch ought to even things up a bit! I hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #106
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Z06??? Are you serious? It's hard to see the Z06 in the same pool as the M3, C63, GTR, and CTS-V. Then again,... I'd never would have believed I would be considering a Cadillac in company with these contestants,... particularly the M and the AMG! And oh yeah,... she's got plenty game. Well, I must confess, every now and then I run across a C63 or an M3 that is just absolutely gorgeous. And when I do,... I catch myself saying,... "Daaaaamn! But you know what? You can't tell me these guys driving those M's and AMG's ain't singing the same chorus,... "Daaaaamn" when they see this cold Black CTS-V I'm driving. Time will tell though,... will the V prematurely fall on it's face, following true to course the American reputation for building cars? Or will it hold it's own and fall at just about the same rate the Germans fall. If the later,... well that's all I ask for. Just can't wait to get past 600 on the ODO, so I can put my foot through the floor pan. That highly anticipated NASA launch ought to even things up a bit! I hope!
The z06 was the wild card, the only reason i was thinking about taking it over all the other cars was because i could have had instant gratification. That phase passed relatively quickly after the z06 in question roof fell off.

Anyway despite the GTR's 4 seats i would put it in the same category as the z06 (both uncomfortable race cars for the street.) The other 3 are more closely bound in the luxury performance market.

Anyway, i dont think the V will hold its value quite like an m3, but i dont think anything loses its value like an AMG. They lose like 10 grand when you roll off the lot.

Im kinda hoping that this car gets discontinued so its really rare and cadillacs best car EVER. That me and you had the wits to buy.
only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #107
ericpd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The z06 was the wild card, the only reason i was thinking about taking it over all the other cars was because i could have had instant gratification. That phase passed relatively quickly after the z06 in question roof fell off.

Anyway despite the GTR's 4 seats i would put it in the same category as the z06 (both uncomfortable race cars for the street.) The other 3 are more closely bound in the luxury performance market.

Anyway, i dont think the V will hold its value quite like an m3, but i dont think anything loses its value like an AMG. They lose like 10 grand when you roll off the lot.

Im kinda hoping that this car gets discontinued so its really rare and cadillacs best car EVER. That me and you had the wits to buy.
only time will tell.
yeah,... I guess you're right. I just always considered Z06, or any Corvette, a step up from the small rocket sedans/coupes dominated by the likes of M3, C-class AMGS, RS's and now the CTS-V. A different line of DNA altogether,... so much so, hardly ever considered in the same decision process. But I see where you were going. Oh wouldn't you love to have that ZR1 in your garage? And the rear seat in the GTR is just a mirage!
Appreciate 0