BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #23
trvplvrdBOI
Many men...wish death.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: at 14mpg

45 minute HIIT Plyometric sessions twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #24
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Is anyone a personal trainer in here and or has anyone ruptured their Achilles tendon?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #25
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bilzerian View Post
Is anyone a personal trainer in here and or has anyone ruptured their Achilles tendon?
I fucked up my right Achilles tendon a long ass time ago, don't remember if it was 'ruptured' though, why?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #26
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
I fucked up my right Achilles tendon a long ass time ago, don't remember if it was 'ruptured' though, why?
I ruptured mine 2 months ago and I'm finally able to walk on it slowly. I was just curious if anyone could recommend some routines to follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #27
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
I ruptured mine 2 months ago and I'm finally able to walk on it slowly. I was just curious if anyone could recommend some routines to follow.
Oh shit, honestly I can't remember anything specific I did for it... Was when I was playing club soccer and I just wore a special brace on the ankle for it. Really just time, rest and protein.. Cuz it's a tendon I'm not sure of how to strengthen a tendon back up, sorry
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:29 AM   #28
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Well, before I hit 30, I decided it would be a good idea (not the best idea) to try out for a Semi Pro Football Team in my area. on the team now after a lackluster tryout, but good football awareness and I need to start training so I dont look like the old guy out there.

Im 5-9, 195lbs. Background on me is I have been weight training for years, with little cardio, and have gotten very stiff (Back, Knees, Hips) and have lost all explosiveness I had back in the day. Recently started running everyday, ~1-2miles depending on how cold it is, as well as doing 30minutes - 1hr on a stationary bike and doing about 15-20 minutes of core exercises. Do roughly 1.5-2hrs of working out a day.

Weekly Routine is
1 Day Chest/Arms - Regular, Incline, Decline Bench 5x5, Close Dumbell Regular/Incline, Flys, Tris, Bis
1 Day Back - Deadlift 5x5, Rows, Pull Downs, Reverse Flys
1 Day Shoulders/Arms - Dumbell Overhead, Arnold Press, "Circuit" with 4 lifts x5 for 4 sets with 60 seconds rest, tris, bis
1 Day Legs - Squats 8x5, Leg Press 5x5
1 Day Chest/Shoulders/Arms - Regular, Incline, Overhead press, Tris, Bis
Weekends are either all cardio or half cardio/half core. Ill do some sprints and agility drills as well.

My question is, what are other guys doing for more of an athletic training vs strength/size training? More Olympic Lifting? Crossfit?

Ive read and researched several routines that I may start trying, but if someone has some good experience, Id rather start with that vs jumping in blindly till I find something that works.
You definitely want to keep up with the lifting, and not substitute HIIT for lifting.

1. HIIT can be very hard on your body, specifically your joints. It's worse as you age. 1-2 HIIT workouts per week are fine. If you're carrying a decent amount of mass >30 years old, and you have a large volume of other training (cardio + lifting), you can start doing damage if you're not careful.

2. Lifting is good because it allows you to target specific weak areas in order to maintain muscle balance. As you age past 25, muscles you use less often get weaker due to atrophy. If you don't target those muscles, you'll eventually have a muscle imbalance that leaves you prone to injury. You need a very specific routine to identify and target weak areas before they cause an injury. IMHO, age is less of a factor than muscle imbalance caused by years of doing the same exercises that don't hit all the muscle groups from various angles.

3. Read The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger. While it's focused more on winning bodybuilding competitions, the diet and exercise knowledge can be applied to any sport.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:02 AM   #29
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Oh shit, honestly I can't remember anything specific I did for it... Was when I was playing club soccer and I just wore a special brace on the ankle for it. Really just time, rest and protein.. Cuz it's a tendon I'm not sure of how to strengthen a tendon back up, sorry
No worries! I'll probably go into PT anyways, just wanted to see if we had any here
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #30
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
No worries! I'll probably go into PT anyways, just wanted to see if we had any here
Kelly Starrett's youtube videos for ankle mobilization are going to be your best resource.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #31
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
Kelly Starrett's youtube videos for ankle mobilization are going to be your best resource.
Thank you!!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #32
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

So everyone says train your ass off and then play in the game hard. Don't you need to dial your training down so you actually have strength during the game??
      05-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
So everyone says train your ass off and then play in the game hard. Don't you need to dial your training down so you actually have strength during the game??
s
Interval training and running hills (stadium steps) are good for skill players (especially RB, DB and LB).

Here's a real @sskicker :

10 X (25 push-ups, sprint 100 yards, 20 vertical squat jumps). Shoot for no rest between sets.

I hope for the best for the OP and I hope he works on his vertical and ability to cover half the field (think safety in Cover 2) because at 5'9" 195 he's built more like a RB rather than a DB. He doesn't need to be super strong but he needs to be fast and able to jump.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0