BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

12-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #23
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Try eating potatoes and beans for more K

And you say you get in the jacuzzi after you workout? Probably need to stop doing that, will dehydrate your body even more plus doesn't help your 'swollen' muscles.

And yea Romanian deadlifts, start competing with those women! Lol
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
And you say you get in the jacuzzi after you workout? Probably need to stop doing that, will dehydrate your body even more plus doesn't help your 'swollen' muscles.
Start in the cold pool (mid 50s?) for 3-4 min, then into the Jacuzzi to warm up again, with some stretching,5 min, then back into the cold. Always end in the cold then off to the rinse in a shower and change outside in the cold. Bottle of water and/or water fountain with every trip between the two.

Some days, I go just for the cold/hot treatment. I consider the pool in the winter to be my personal ice tub A few people have had shocking experience because they see me sitting in the pool so they jump in. "It's COLD!" they say
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #25
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Legs last night. Put 270mg Potassium and 1500mg Magnesium in breakfast and dinner.

Squatting 185, I felt twinges in the left ham/groin area, so dropped back to 135 and went wide stance.

Was able to complete 2 rounds of 5 sets, 12 reps, both leg curls and extensions with no issues. Went right to the cold water afterwards. Walking OK this morning

Belgie, maybe I was Mag deficient.
If your supplementing magnesium, spend the extra couple of bucks to get magnesium citrate over magnesium oxide. Your body just doesn't absorb oxide well.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17809.50
      01-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Romanian deadlift
This.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #27
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

After spending 6 days @ 7000' and returning Sunday, I went and ran last night. OK, something that sorta resembled running. I figured I had some extra red blood cells floating that would help me out. Covered my typical 2.6 but was going at 10:45 pace. The last record I had of that same distance was last May, and I was doing 9:25 then. Last night felt a LOT slower, but no issues with hammies cramping this morning.

I did go out before we left for the cabin and got the Mag citrate
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've found I like doing them on the smith rack. Allows me to push ass back and get better stretch without having it bug my back as much

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 01-04-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #29
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Allows me to push ass back and get better stretch without having it big my back as much
Alien physiology obviously different than human?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #30
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Ran again last night. Broke into the 9's, but I am a big, lumbering gordo!!! Didn't take the Pot/Mag BEFORE my run, and could feel the right hamstring getting really tight. Spent most of the Farewell address stretching out both sides and didn't get any cramps. Ate a banana with dinner, then put the Pot/Mag into me belly at bedtime. Also added some joint mixture the wife picked up due to the pounding on the joints. I need to drop about 25 to really be ready for Machu Pichu in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #31
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
I have been at a loss at what to do to strengthen my hams. I can't seem to do curls with more than maybe 40lbs on a machine without getting WICKED cramps on about the 2nd set. It's freaking embarrassing to get stuck on a machine because you are screaming (inside) and can't straighten your leg.

I work on warming up, stretching different angles, and spend my time after almost all workouts in the Jacuzzi trying to stretch a little more.

It all started during AYSO soccer30+ years ago. I'd play midfield and run my ass off. Come home after game, and invariably one or both hams would cramp up. A double is a special kind of hell!

Supplements of potassium, more bananas and milk than I should consume, additional stretching.
I played D1 soccer in college and in my junior year we got this beast circuit. I still have stretch marks from the growth.

Edit; you start with the squats 20, 40 kneeling lunges (20 each side), then 40 jumping lunges (20 each side) (start in a lunge position with your knee 1 inch off the floor and jump and switch to the same position on the other knee, no rest between jumps), then 20 squat and jumps.

3 sets

I too had issues with torn HS and cramps but after this training I was on a different level of speed and power than i was ever.

Work your way up from no weight. Your legs will burn like a mofo and you will feel worked. I lifted no weights on my legs. It was this and track fitness and my legs got very powerful over 1 spring season. Unfortunately I had a non sports injury that wound up really ruining my college career.

Found this variation.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/le...ithout-weights

Last edited by StatenEye; 01-11-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Quote:
I have been at a loss at what to do to strengthen my hams. I can't seem to do curls with more than maybe 40lbs on a machine without getting WICKED cramps on about the 2nd set. It's freaking embarrassing to get stuck on a machine because you are screaming (inside) and can't straighten your leg.

I work on warming up, stretching different angles, and spend my time after almost all workouts in the Jacuzzi trying to stretch a little more.

It all started during AYSO soccer30+ years ago. I'd play midfield and run my ass off. Come home after game, and invariably one or both hams would cramp up. A double is a special kind of hell!

Supplements of potassium, more bananas and milk than I should consume, additional stretching.
I played D1 soccer in college and in my junior year we got this beast circuit. I still have stretch marks from the growth.

Edit; you start with the squats 20, 40 kneeling lunges (20 each side), then 40 jumping lunges (20 each side) (start in a lunge position with your knee 1 inch off the floor and jump and switch to the same position on the other knee, no rest between jumps), then 20 squat and jumps.

3 sets

I too had issues with torn HS and cramps but after this training I was on a different level of speed and power than i was ever.

Work your way up from no weight. Your legs will burn like a mofo and you will feel worked. I lifted no weights on my legs. It was this and track fitness and my legs got very powerful over 1 spring season. Unfortunately I had a non sports injury that wound up really ruining my college career.

Found this variation.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/le...ithout-weights
That sounds way more like quads than hams!
      01-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #33
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

After running the best time since last May, I did some lunges up/down the driveway with the dog's supervision. I found my new, best groin stretch! Groin being the portion way up high into the belly area. I had a name at one point but have since forgotten it. With the left knee bending and stretching the right side that I had an injury, I can't reach the ground. But OHHH, the stretch there!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #34
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, as part of my grand plan, I decided that pulling up all the dead weeds on the back side of the house, in preparation for laying groundcover and bark, it would be a good idea to do so in my work boots and with stiff legs. 5x77 stretch of ground done all just bending at the waist. Woke up Sunday just barely able to walk, but no cramps. With the extra doses of Magnesium (citrate) and potassium, not a cramp to be had.

///M Power-Belgium Thank you Phillipe for the Mag recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #35
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So, as part of my grand plan, I decided that pulling up all the dead weeds on the back side of the house, in preparation for laying groundcover and bark, it would be a good idea to do so in my work boots and with stiff legs. 5x77 stretch of ground done all just bending at the waist. Woke up Sunday just barely able to walk, but no cramps. With the extra doses of Magnesium (citrate) and potassium, not a cramp to be had.

How many mg is the Magnesium citrate you got? I was about to purchase magnesium oxide the other week but remembered this thread so held off on it.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #36
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:

How many mg is the Magnesium citrate you got? I was about to purchase magnesium oxide the other week but remembered this thread so held off on it.
200 per tablet. I take 2-4 per dose with the pot. I have a funny thing where I think about the supplements as I unscrew the cap then tilt and let the bottle suggest how many I need. Today (before I head out for some road work) the bottle said I only need one. Maybe the beans for dinner and lunch have me set
      03-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Romanian on hack squat face in works also
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #38
trvplvrdBOI
Many men...wish death.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: at 14mpg

Quote:
Romanian on hack squat face in works also
I'll hack squat on ya alright.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #39
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Compression socks, where have you been all my running life??!!!!!!!

I wore some last night after my run, from about 8:30 until I had to pee about 1:30. The slight pain I was experiencing in the ankles/calves was gone when I took them off at 1:30.

Classic picture, my wife had them on both arms and legs last night
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #40
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, Mr Tonka I remember you talking about coconut water. I bought a can a couple weeks ago, and left it in the parking lot for the ants. Figured it was just that particular brand. This past weekend, I ran in the morning then went to my grand-niece's soccer game. On the way in wife ordered a fruit salad from the truck, and the guy gave her the water right out of the coco into a glass.

I tried my best, throughout the game, to drink it but just couldn't get it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #41
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
So, Mr Tonka I remember you talking about coconut water. I bought a can a couple weeks ago, and left it in the parking lot for the ants. Figured it was just that particular brand. This past weekend, I ran in the morning then went to my grand-niece's soccer game. On the way in wife ordered a fruit salad from the truck, and the guy gave her the water right out of the coco into a glass.

I tried my best, throughout the game, to drink it but just couldn't get it down.
Eh, it's not for everyone. The benefits are substantial in regards to hydration, but for some reason, people really turn their nose up at the taste while others love it. Fresh out of the coconut in Barbados was amazingly good. I don't mind the flavor of coconut water, but straight out of a young fresh coconut was fantastic. Make it a cold coconut and it's even better.
      03-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah its yucky even straight from the tap like milk
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #43
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Eh, it's not for everyone. The benefits are substantial in regards to hydration, but for some reason, people really turn their nose up at the taste while others love it. Fresh out of the coconut in Barbados was amazingly good. I don't mind the flavor of coconut water, but straight out of a young fresh coconut was fantastic. Make it a cold coconut and it's even better.
Quote:
Yeah its yucky even straight from the tap like milk
https://www.amazon.com/CoCo-Libre-Pr...00BJ579KO?th=1

You guys ever try this out? I can't stand pure coconut water either, but this shit is amazingly good!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #44
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
https://www.amazon.com/CoCo-Libre-Pr...00BJ579KO?th=1

You guys ever try this out? I can't stand pure coconut water either, but this shit is amazingly good!
No, but most of the time i drink coconut water its mixed with something. Amino acids, electrolyte tablets or ISO pure protein - Rocky Road.

By far and away, the Rocky Road mix is the best. I get these chocolate/coconut covered almonds and the Rocky Road & coconut water tastes like them.

I'd image the coco libre would taste pretty good.