BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

08-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #67
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Just sold my Enduro Evo. Only lasted 2 days on Craigslist.

But, i'm sure what ever i end up getting will serve my FL trail needs better.
What do you plan to get? The bikes this year seem to be pretty amazing.

Are you going to test out 29" bikes? They have some 120-130mm travel 29ers that seem like they would be a lot of fun and pretty versatile for riding in FL.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #68
F1HAMMY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228

I'm in Kansas so I don't need my 120 mil Canyon [650b]. I'm considering a Trek Stache. When I was riding road bikes about 6-7 years ago I had really good luck with Scott. I've had a lot of mountain bikes and depending on ride conditions I'd look at a Santa Cruz Bronson or an Ibis Mojo if back in Texas or California
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #69
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1HAMMY View Post
I'm in Kansas so I don't need my 120 mil Canyon [650b]. I'm considering a Trek Stache. When I was riding road bikes about 6-7 years ago I had really good luck with Scott. I've had a lot of mountain bikes and depending on ride conditions I'd look at a Santa Cruz Bronson or an Ibis Mojo if back in Texas or California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
What do you plan to get? The bikes this year seem to be pretty amazing.

Are you going to test out 29" bikes? They have some 120-130mm travel 29ers that seem like they would be a lot of fun and pretty versatile for riding in FL.
I think i'm pretty much settled on an X01 build Yeti SB4.5c. Supposed to be an incredible pedaling and climbing bike with their Switch Infinity tech yet still has 4.5" travel. Every review i've read or watched had almost nothing bad to say about it. I've talked to a few people who have demoed a bunch of bikes recently had each of them said that was their favorite one. No Yeti dealer near me to get a test ride, but i think i'm gonna trust the reviewer's opinions. Another reason i like it is because the specially designed this bike for 29" wheels. A lot or people who didn't care for 29" wheels have changed their opinion after riding this bike. Seems like Yeti did a good job with this one. All agree that if feels like a XC bike when pedaling and feels like an trail bike when descending. Pretty much what i'm looking for.

I looked at the Specialized Camber as well, but when comparing the reviews, seems like the SB4.5 edged it out. Just under 26 pounds too. Yay!

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 08-28-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #70
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

Are yeti still having problems with cracked frames? Can't remember which one (might be the sb5) there were loads of cracked carbon frame stories going around.

For that travel range I think would probably opt for a trek fuel or remedy. only ever ridden the alu versions and whilst they're not the lightest bikes the weight is never apparent when riding them. I imagine the new carbon versions are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #71
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
Are yeti still having problems with cracked frames? Can't remember which one (might be the sb5) there were loads of cracked carbon frame stories going around.

For that travel range I think would probably opt for a trek fuel or remedy. only ever ridden the alu versions and whilst they're not the lightest bikes the weight is never apparent when riding them. I imagine the new carbon versions are excellent.
I've got probably 8 to 10 solid hours of reading reviews, threads and youtube video reviews about this particular bike and Yeti in general. I haven't come across any cracked frame information except for your post. So i'm guessing no, but will specifically look for it now.

I've had Specialized mtn bikes forever and i want to step away from the big bike box manufactures. I know they are great bikes, just want something different than a Trek, Giant or Specialized. From what i'm reading and seeing, i won't be sacrificing anything by leaving the major brands either.

Edit: Looks like there was a "press run" of rear suspension triangles which were found to be out of spec. They've updated their controls and QC with the carbon vendor, added 45g more carbon in stress areas as well. But even then from what i've read was that it was specific to a previous model (SB66) and previous rear triangle design. With a 5 year frame warranty, i'm not sweating it.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 08-29-2016 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #72
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've got probably 8 to 10 solid hours of reading reviews, threads and youtube video reviews about this particular bike and Yeti in general. I haven't come across any cracked frame information except for your post. So i'm guessing no, but will specifically look for it now.

I've had Specialized mtn bikes forever and i want to step away from the big bike box manufactures. I know they are great bikes, just want something different than a Trek, Giant or Specialized. From what i'm reading and seeing, i won't be sacrificing anything by leaving the major brands either.

Edit: Looks like there was a "press run" of rear suspension triangles which were found to be out of spec. They've updated their controls and QC with the carbon vendor, added 45g more carbon in stress areas as well. But even then from what i've read was that it was specific to a previous model (SB66) and previous rear triangle design. With a 5 year frame warranty, i'm not sweating it.
That's probably it then, the article I read probably blew it out of proportion. As we all know it's the bad points that stick in your memory.

To be fair I bought a lapierre knowing full well their reputation for carbon frames cracking. even though I researched to make sure my 2013 model didn't suffer the same problems it still cracked this year after 3 years of hard riding.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #73
SHoTTa35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Hardtail, FSF, road, TT, beach cruiser, kids bike..... which one?!?!
Hardtail.. keep forgetting to upload the pics but here is the website one in 29" form. Getting some accessories soon but nothing yet.

http://www.cube.eu/produkte/hardtail...reynblue-2016/
Attached Images

Last edited by SHoTTa35; 08-29-2016 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #74
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
That's probably it then, the article I read probably blew it out of proportion. As we all know it's the bad points that stick in your memory.

To be fair I bought a lapierre knowing full well their reputation for carbon frames cracking. even though I researched to make sure my 2013 model didn't suffer the same problems it still cracked this year after 3 years of hard riding.
You freaked me out a bit but after a fair amount of searching, i have't found much mentioned about this after 2012. There were a few threads in 2015, but still related to the SB66. And after some more reading, it seems that many of the cracks were crash related. Even then, Yeti still offers deeply discounted replacement parts to those riders. I'm in FL, so i don't ride rock gardens and don't crash often. I'm assuming it'll be fine and their CS should take care of me if it isn't.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the Lapierre. Road, MTB?
      08-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #75
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoTTa35 View Post
Hardtail.. keep forgetting to upload the pics but here is the website one in 29" form. Getting some accessories soon but nothing yet.

http://www.cube.eu/produkte/hardtail...reynblue-2016/
Looks like a screamer!!
      08-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #76
Official NOCO
NoCo's Marketing Pawn
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mazda6 GT - I mean a BMW?

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned: State Bicycle.

They are local here in Tempe, AZ home of Arizona State University.

They create some great looking single speed/fixed gear bikes. Fantastic quality, and they are always changing they colors of the bikes to keep it fresh.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:09 AM   #77
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You freaked me out a bit but after a fair amount of searching, i have't found much mentioned about this after 2012. There were a few threads in 2015, but still related to the SB66. And after some more reading, it seems that many of the cracks were crash related. Even then, Yeti still offers deeply discounted replacement parts to those riders. I'm in FL, so i don't ride rock gardens and don't crash often. I'm assuming it'll be fine and their CS should take care of me if it isn't.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the Lapierre. Road, MTB?
Lapierre zesty 514 mtb. The 2011/12 carbon models were plagued with failures in the rear triangle and around the bottom bracket. Supposedly they had resolved all the issues for the 2013 model.

The bike ticked every box so went for it knowing it could be a risk. Like you though it had a 5 year frame warranty and as cracked frames are a common problem lapierre are fairly on the ball with replacements.

had the bike in the shop January this year to replace the frame bearings and they noticed the tiniest hairline crack around the bottom bracket. Credit to the bike shop I could barely see it even when he was pointing at it. Ended up with a replacement 2015 827 frame instead which is actually better than the original. It also has the added bonus it's a 27.5 frame so I'm now looking st stripping it and rebuilding my dream spec with the new frame.

The only hastle I've had with warranty claims is not lapierre its hotlines who are the uk distributor which means you have to go through them and not direct to lapierre. It just drags the whole process out and takes twice as long as needed.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-08-2017, 01:46 AM   #78
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Road: Wilier, although I like some of Specialized's bikes

MTB: Santa Cruz

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #79
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What's your favorite bicycle manufacturer?
Need a bike and wanted ideas. Road, mountain don't care.

Mine is AustroDaimler, sadly no longer made.
Bontraeger......before they sold to Trek

John Hollands....from your neck of the woods....not sure if he's still building frames
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #80
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post

Wilier lol

I have an old Wilier, late 70's era hanging on the wall....all Campy super record

It was always fun to show up to group rides with it on occasion, friction down tube shifters and a spare tubular stuffed into my jersey pocket.......
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #81
M4Now!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Quote:

Wilier lol

I have an old Wilier, late 70's era hanging on the wall....all Campy super record

It was always fun to show up to group rides with it on occasion, friction down tube shifters and a spare tubular stuffed into my jersey pocket.......
You should try a new one. I ride and race a Zero7, which is crazy light, seriously fast, but still comfortable all day. It won Bicycling's first Superbike category a couple years ago.

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #82
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
You should try a new one. I ride and race a Zero7, which is crazy light, seriously fast, but still comfortable all day. It won Bicycling's first Superbike category a couple years ago.

Cheers
Which components on the Zero7 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #83
M4Now!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Which components on the Zero7 ?
Dura Ace 9000 DI2 and Enve wheels. I've used Shimano forever and it has consistently been great. Enve wheels are new to me, impressive so far.

Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #84
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I came very close to buying a Zero 6 frame set a week ago. Great bikes!
      01-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #85
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dura Ace 9000 DI2 and Enve wheels. I've used Shimano forever and it has consistently been great. Enve wheels are new to me, impressive so far.
I got a set of SES 4.5 with CK hubs. Fantastic wheels so far. Have about 3k miles on them. A week or so a go i was pushing a friend up a hill and a car was waiting behind us. I took my hand off her back to wave the car around us and didn't account for how much of my weight was on her back. My front wheel got close to her and one of my spokes hooked onto the heal of her shoe. Lifted my front wheel about 8" off the ground. To my surprise, no damage. All spokes are straight, tight and the wheel is true.
      01-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #86
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
If I try one I will probably want to buy one.......

And there's nothing wrong with the 753 reynolds tubing road bike I have along with several others
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #87
M4Now!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
If I try one I will probably want to buy one.......

And there's nothing wrong with the 753 reynolds tubing road bike I have along with several others

I've never subscribed to the "How many bikes do you need? N+1" theory of buying. On the other hand, I completely understand why people would want to!

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #88
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've never subscribed to the "How many bikes do you need? N+1" theory of buying. On the other hand, I completely understand why people would want to!

Cheers
The number of bikes i want is N+1.