BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

BPM

07-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #67
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
What do you think of New Rules of Lifting for a beginner?
I recommended it to someone today
I think it's a good introduction and helps add perspective, but I often feel like over-stimulating a new lifter with abundant amounts of information tends to have more of a negative effect than a positive (..not saying that NROL does that in particular). I think simplicity is much more effective in the beginning. I try to stress dietary and exercise consistency first and foremost, and I stress biomechanics/ROM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #68
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Anyone got some meal plan tips for a picky-ish eater? I could eat chicken everyday, but on the carb/fat side I'm clueless besides rice/potatoes/pasta.

Something in the 3,000/day range?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Anyone got some meal plan tips for a picky-ish eater? I could eat chicken everyday, but on the carb/fat side I'm clueless besides rice/potatoes/pasta.

How picky are you? I ask simply because the more simple you are, the easier it is to make suggestions. I literally eat the same thing 5 or 6 times a day when I'm on a cut diet, and the only thing that typically changes is the main protein source (..i.e...I rotate chicken, tuna and ground turkey); veggie sources are fairly constant - asparagus and broccoli - as is my basic complex carb source: yams.

If you want an idea of what I consume regularly, here's a basic list:
  • chicken
  • tuna
  • bacon (..both turkey and pork)
  • seasoned ground turkey
  • eggs
  • apples
  • broccoli
  • asparagus
  • yams
  • rice (..sparingly)
  • Ritz crackers (..I use Ritz as a carb reload/refeed along with tuna during long workouts)
  • almonds
  • sunflower seeds

Those are my essential foods. I mix & match and pair foods depending on my mood, but they are almost always off of this list. Any particular reason why you think you need 3,000 calories? Even at my weight - 188 lbs. currently - with my amount of muscle, I don't even take in that many......not even on my heavy lifting days.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-22-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #70
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:

trust me, after a while even the best food in the world will taste boring.

pasta is your best friend if you want to rack up carbs, sweet potato fries is a good carbs to snack on, baked potato/sweet potato, rice, rice cakes (50/50 people hate/like), and bread (buns with turkey susage is a good snack). etc etc

guacamole/avocado, nuts, etc etc for fats
      07-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #71
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What do you think of New Rules of Lifting for a beginner?
I recommended it to someone today
IMO, a beginner can make gains following a simple/any routine. just go in there have fun
      07-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #72
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I do get that especially when the big lifts are focused upon.
However I'm also a proponent of following a structured routine that will help develop a solid workout and nutrition base.
In that first year (let's just say) newbie gains can be made BUT they can be maximized if that same newbie is able to follow a solid program by someone who understands the physiology and mindset of a newb.

This is my justification for NROL but I welcome any and all counterpoints
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I do get that especially when the big lifts are focused upon.
However I'm also a proponent of following a structured routine that will help develop a solid workout and nutrition base.
In that first year (let's just say) newbie gains can be made BUT they can be maximized if that same newbie is able to follow a solid program by someone who understands the physiology and mindset of a newb.

This is my justification for NROL but I welcome any and all counterpoints
True, but the problem is that rarely is a beginner steadfast and focused enough to stick with anything for any length of time. With all of the B.S. that gets tossed around about muscle confusion, changing workouts every two months, etc., they (..meaning: the beginner) are too inconsistent and wonder why they don't get results. I think planning is great. I think a structured workout plan can also be great IF a person can stick to it over a lengthy period of time. For those of us that have been at this lifting game for a long time, we have all found that diligence and patience are key factors in obtaining results.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #74
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
True, but the problem is that rarely is a beginner steadfast and focused enough to stick with anything for any length of time. With all of the B.S. that gets tossed around about muscle confusion, changing workouts every two months, etc., they (..meaning: the beginner) are too inconsistent and wonder why they don't get results. I think planning is great. I think a structured workout plan can also be great IF a person can stick to it over a lengthy period of time. For those of us that have been at this lifting game for a long time, we have all found that diligence and patience are key factors in obtaining results.
a lot of people my friends still believe in those overnight result magic pill, so when they dont see result quick, they lose interest and give up.
      07-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #75
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

I consider myself rather picky, almost everything on your list I could eat minus the tuna and maybe asparagus, never tried it so far.

I'd like to gain about 15-20lbs as I want to be a healthy 150-155. I'm currently 26 and my body naturally fluctuates around 135 +- 2-3lbs. Not your average skinny guy though, compared to others I have quite a bit more muscle size and definition than them. I've always been into fitness and athletics.

I could probably get away with a 2,000/day diet and soak up the other 1,000 with my protein shake/whole milk combo. My problem is a healthy 2,000 vs mcdonalds or the like.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #76
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

So I basically haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Told myself I was going to go back on Monday but suppliers have been soaking up all my gym time at the plant this week. Kind of bummed, I really don't like taking this much time off.

Anywho, any input on preworkout supplements? I went to Vitamin World with my SO the other day and was just kind of browsing. I've never used anything of the sort before, or any kind of enhancer for that matter. Does it work? Is it counter active considering all the ingredients in most of them? Is it a gimmick?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #77
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
So I basically haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Told myself I was going to go back on Monday but suppliers have been soaking up all my gym time at the plant this week. Kind of bummed, I really don't like taking this much time off.

Anywho, any input on preworkout supplements? I went to Vitamin World with my SO the other day and was just kind of browsing. I've never used anything of the sort before, or any kind of enhancer for that matter. Does it work? Is it counter active considering all the ingredients in most of them? Is it a gimmick?
Good morning Mr. Bill Up,

I've used a few of the PWOs out there. I do find them to be helpful in that they provide me with a boost of energy that I translate in to extra sets, reps, pounds added, intervals sprinted and itunes shuffled.
I like the Neon products and currently am using Neon Volt and their Kinetic BCAA. I've also tried JackEd, XPlode and a couple of others.
People will also recommend C4 and Assault, etc.

The best bet is to try to pick up a sample and see how you react to it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #78
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Good morning Mr. Bill Up,

I've used a few of the PWOs out there. I do find them to be helpful in that they provide me with a boost of energy that I translate in to extra sets, reps, pounds added, intervals sprinted and itunes shuffled.
I like the Neon products and currently am using Neon Volt and their Kinetic BCAA. I've also tried JackEd, XPlode and a couple of others.
People will also recommend C4 and Assault, etc.

The best bet is to try to pick up a sample and see how you react to it
Good morning to you as well!

Would you say the difference is noticeably huge, or is it quite minimal? Is it like an energy boost you'd get from an energy drink (obviously two different animals), or what? I just find myself lacking energy at the end of a work day and was just looking at some containers that "boost preworkout energy" and it just sounded like a ploy.

I'm definitely not pushing myself to the limit when I go, and that's something I'd like to change.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #79
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good morning to you as well!

Would you say the difference is noticeably huge, or is it quite minimal? Is it like an energy boost you'd get from an energy drink (obviously two different animals), or what? I just find myself lacking energy at the end of a work day and was just looking at some containers that "boost preworkout energy" and it just sounded like a ploy.

I'm definitely not pushing myself to the limit when I go, and that's something I'd like to change.
While not a huge difference, I definitely notice the extra energy although I wonder how much of it is a placebo effect. The one I'm currently using has a lot of Beta Alanine in it that gives a "tingling" feeling. Others I have tried have made me energetic but jittery and I could've gotten that from drinking too much coffee lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #80
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I consider myself rather picky, almost everything on your list I could eat minus the tuna and maybe asparagus, never tried it so far.

I'd like to gain about 15-20lbs as I want to be a healthy 150-155. I'm currently 26 and my body naturally fluctuates around 135 +- 2-3lbs. Not your average skinny guy though, compared to others I have quite a bit more muscle size and definition than them. I've always been into fitness and athletics.

I could probably get away with a 2,000/day diet and soak up the other 1,000 with my protein shake/whole milk combo. My problem is a healthy 2,000 vs mcdonalds or the like.
A healthy 2,000 will be a pretty significant amount of food, but you can fill quite a bit of it with the yams/rice. You'll need the carb intake to hit your numbers, which isn't a bad thing as a significant amount of your caloric intake should be from carbs. The lean meats don't tend to amount to much at all. How frequently are you eating or what are your feeding patterns like?

Quote:
Pre-workout supplements have never done anything for me, and even caffeine has little to no effect on me (..and I wish it did because graveyard shifts are slow), so I'm probably not the best person to offer advice on that subject. I've found that most of them to seem to be placebo for me, but then again, I'm a special case. Caffeine is a true stimulant though, and I'd recommend that you try it in its condensed form. I have a buddy who uses pure rock caffeine in very small doses.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #81
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Pre-workout supplements have never done anything for me, and even caffeine has little to no effect on me (..and I wish it did because graveyard shifts are slow), so I'm probably not the best person to offer advice on that subject. I've found that most of them to seem to be placebo for me, but then again, I'm a special case. Caffeine is a true stimulant though, and I'd recommend that you try it in its condensed form. I have a buddy who uses pure rock caffeine in very small doses.
i drink so much tea daily that even 2 scoops of C4 wont do a thing to me, lol
      07-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
i drink so much tea daily that even 2 scoops of C4 wont do a thing to me, lol
Desensitized for real.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #83
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

TBH, if you are one of those IIFYM kind of guy, there is no such thing as bad food as long as it fit in your daily macro, but you want to have quality food if it makes any sense.
      07-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #84
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So what do us old farts do now that we've reached the upper 40s? I started back when I was 16 or 17, but life got in the way the last couple of years.

I'm not looking for bulk any more, I just want to be able to still carry the 50lb bags of chicken feed, don't want to feel like my pops with squishy arms (even if he can still out-work me because his mental is stronger), and want to be able to open the beer. No, I'm not going to make huge changes in diet because I'm diabetic.

I'm going for my national referee badge the middle of August. I've been running for about 3 weeks, but that is the first time since I gained those 20lbs on the medical trial. This freaking bulge in my mid is driving me crazy. I never used to get a pool of sweat between my moobs and belly.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #85
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Pinched a nerve in my lower back standing up :-| and going on a Mediterranean cruise tomorrow. Once my back is better in a few days, I'll be able to workout on the cruise ship to counter the constant eating.
      07-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #86
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Pinched a nerve in my lower back standing up :-| and going on a Mediterranean cruise tomorrow. Once my back is better in a few days, I'll be able to workout on the cruise ship to counter the constant eating.
Which ports? Sounds like a cruise I'd love to do around the Med.
Utilize the decks and there's probably a track to run on uptop as well
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #87
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So what do us old farts do now that we've reached the upper 40s? I started back when I was 16 or 17, but life got in the way the last couple of years.

I'm not looking for bulk any more, I just want to be able to still carry the 50lb bags of chicken feed, don't want to feel like my pops with squishy arms (even if he can still out-work me because his mental is stronger), and want to be able to open the beer. No, I'm not going to make huge changes in diet because I'm diabetic.

I'm going for my national referee badge the middle of August. I've been running for about 3 weeks, but that is the first time since I gained those 20lbs on the medical trial. This freaking bulge in my mid is driving me crazy. I never used to get a pool of sweat between my moobs and belly.
Just get out there more and be active which it sounds like you're already starting to do
Run, walk, swim. Have clearly set goals. You want to carry the feed bags? Practice with those!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

Maybe the reintroduction of cardio will begin to shred the fat since you've been inactive for so long. Being a diabetic requires a careful approach. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0