BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

11-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

sweat's effect on workout

OK, my understanding is that the sole purpose of sweating is to regulate body temperature.

ASSuming I'm not training to run a marathon in Death Valley, why would I want to sweat even more during a workout?

I tend to do most of my exercise on the outside deck, usually in the evening. So typical temps are mid to upper 60s. I can easily get my workout, and not sweat a ton, by wearing shorts and a muscle-t. Why would I want to over-stress my body and wear a hoody and sweat so much? My muscles get warmed up, there is generally a light bead of sweat on my forehead.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I don't think it's that important. The point is your HR. Some people, like myself prefer to be pouring sweat and need extra clothes to get that effect quicker.

Also, from the bro science I've come across, working out in the cold without any warm clothing can cause your muscles to tense up and be easier to pull/strain.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Sweating is healthy for your pores and skin.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

idk why people don't want to sweat when working out, you need to sweat, release endorphins.. so you can chase the pump, prevent injury, feel better and have a good mind to muscle connection
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

It's not that I mind sweating, or even enjoy it. I just don't see the need to take extra steps to increase the amount during my workout. It's rare that I have a strain at the gym, I just come with those from real life and then aggravate them at the gym.

My pores get cleaned AFTER the workout, when I sit in the Jacuzzi and then soak in the unheated pool.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Some people may over layer to acclimate to hotter temperatures. But most people over dress with layers probably to sweat out water weight, so when the get on a scale they feel better.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

It depends on the person too. I sweat a ridiculous amount when working out. The plus side is that people think I'm working way harder than I am. Downside, it looks like I took a shower with my clothes on sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Some people may over layer to acclimate to hotter temperatures. But most people over dress with layers probably to sweat out water weight, so when the get on a scale they feel better.
Basically this. There's no other reason to wear excess clothing except to increase body heat and sweat out water.

OP- unless you're trying to cut weight quickly (water weight), you have no reason to NEED to sweat more than what your body normally does. I don't sweat much on certain days, and on other days I sweat a lot. It just happens.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      11-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
OK, my understanding is that the sole purpose of sweating is to regulate body temperature.

ASSuming I'm not training to run a marathon in Death Valley, why would I want to sweat even more during a workout?

I tend to do most of my exercise on the outside deck, usually in the evening. So typical temps are mid to upper 60s. I can easily get my workout, and not sweat a ton, by wearing shorts and a muscle-t. Why would I want to over-stress my body and wear a hoody and sweat so much? My muscles get warmed up, there is generally a light bead of sweat on my forehead.
Most people wear hoodies to hide their scrawny frames until they get a decent pump to take it off.

I walk in the bitch in a stringer idgaf bout these hoes. Until the hoes start looking. Then I be looking.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      11-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

The science behind sweating is really cool...primate mammals are the only mammals that sweat all over their body...

I heard a TED Talk the other day having something to do with sweating. Think about this: human beings, relative to other mammals, are extremely inferior...we aren't fast, agile, big, strong, efficient...we're injury prone, weather falls down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit and we catch a cold...but what do we have that other mammals (except other primates) don't have? The ability to run long distances AND be able to regulate internal body temperature while doing it...other mammals need to stop and pant (or other methods) to regulate body temperature...

I think sweating is important...it's natural. Sweating can help cleanse our body, and promote the release of endorphins (feel good hormones that reduce our perception of pain).

Also, if you're lifting, it's not bro science, it's science: lifting when your body is warmed up reduces risk for injury, and builds confidence so you're able to lift heavy and frequently...

Personally, right before my workout (30-45 mins) I consume some caffeine, eat carbs with high glycemic index (which will cause a spike in blood sugar and consequently get blood flowing throughout the body), and do a bit of warm-up/cardio work...I'll usually wear pants and full-sleeve shirt while working out to keep my body temperature high...
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetFame View Post
I walk in the bitch in a stringer idgaf bout these hoes. Until the hoes start looking. Then I be looking.

Missed you man!!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

i can't control how much i sweat. one set into an exercise and my clothes are drenched. my gym partner doesn't even break a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #13
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post

Missed you man!!
Likewise bro! You've been gone ever since I came back!
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      11-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedo302 View Post
Basically this. There's no other reason to wear excess clothing except to increase body heat and sweat out water.

OP- unless you're trying to cut weight quickly (water weight), you have no reason to NEED to sweat more than what your body normally does. I don't sweat much on certain days, and on other days I sweat a lot. It just happens.
X2. Confuses me when I see people on the treadmill at the gym wearing sweat pants and sweat shirts covered in sweat. Makes the running more difficult because they are overheating but they would be far better off wearing less and running faster.

Also, once your body gets used to exercising in the heat you will often sweat more and faster (as soon as you start) as your body adapts to the expected stress.
      11-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Also, once your body gets used to exercising in the heat you will often sweat more and faster (as soon as you start) as your body adapts to the expected stress.
THIS! I haven't been able to do any running of late, pulled a groin in the leg and one in the belly (pectineous?) that I just can't figure out how to stretch. I know the first couple runs I'll probably not sweat very much at all. But once I get back into it regularly, about 1/4 mile from the house I'll be wiping my eyes to be able to see.

And when I do this, (since Cali) I'll probably be in shorts and a reflective vest only. I've tried with a hoody a few times, and not only the extra wet, but the constant, out-of-rhythm thump of the hood on my head just bothers me. Pulling the hood tight just isn't an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Sweat's effect? 90% is half mental.......thx Yogi
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Your sweat does more than just regulate body temps. But trying to sweat more or less is just a preference.