BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #23
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

When I took my car to the dealer (2011 E90) they said it was normal but couldnt tell me what it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #24
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL
I'm taking mine into the dealer for this tomorrow and I will followup with their findings.
I hope you find out what causes it so I can get the same fix. Here is to hoping your techs arent idiots.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My guess would be belt tensioner.

My E46 used to do this when flat-shifted at redline or shifted quickly at lower engine speeds. New tensioner and belt while I was In There fixed it

Considering how quickly the DCT shifts even at part throttle wouldn't be surprised if it is causing too much rpm delta for the tensioners to cope with
      04-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I hope you find out what causes it so I can get the same fix. Here is to hoping your techs arent idiots.
I had to reschedule it. Since CPO doesn't cover belts etc, I'm going to dress the belts up (lightly) and see if that goes away, it's not an ultimate fix, but it's a good way of figuring out where the sound is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #27
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Started getting this squeak noise as well, I hope it's nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #28
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
My guess would be belt tensioner.

My E46 used to do this when flat-shifted at redline or shifted quickly at lower engine speeds. New tensioner and belt while I was In There fixed it

Considering how quickly the DCT shifts even at part throttle wouldn't be surprised if it is causing too much rpm delta for the tensioners to cope with
I've got the squeak too. Master Tech rode in the car a few months back and said it sounded normal. I assured him that my friend's newer M3 (with less miles) did not make the noise. I'm going to take the car back in next month to keep my case going.

FYI - My e46 made a similar noise but it came from the rear. It turned out to be the guibo.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #29
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
I've got the squeak too. Master Tech rode in the car a few months back and said it sounded normal. I assured him that my friend's newer M3 (with less miles) did not make the noise. I'm going to take the car back in next month to keep my case going.

FYI - My e46 made a similar noise but it came from the rear. It turned out to be the guibo.
After 3 months, BMW of Seattle has told me that this is normal...which it isn't. They just don't know what the problem is and are calling it "normal".

Onward to BMW NA/my lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Further Diagnosis.

I've replaced all belts, this happens with or without my dinan crank pulley.

I am unable to reproduce this when it's raining out and it only happens when my tires grip through my 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 gear shifts in the higher RPM's. To me, this implies that this issue is not related to belts and has to deal with torsion on the drivetrain and it effectively lifting off of one of the mounts. Point being, this doesn't happen when the wheels break loose/bark when shifting. Hence why I can't reproduce this when I'm shifting at like 8400 RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #31
mb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M3

Hoping someone can update with a solution, mine does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #32
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

I too have been searching for solutions as my car makes the same sound on the 1/2 and 2/3 up shifts.

I had it checked at the dealer and after the tech witnessed the sound he reflashed the dct and reset the "clutch adaptations" for slip / lock-up points.

Sadly the sound was still there on the subsequent road test so we are stuck at square one and waiting for BMW Canada to comment....

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #33
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep

According to BMW Canada there is no issue and I am to let them know if it gets worse ... What ... how can I let them know if it gets worse if there is no problem?

This is BS at its best?!?!?!

Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #34
MFL
Major
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
It's a huge change in RPM's between the 1-3 gears and the OE belt can't handle it. It's not a faulty tensioner from what I can tell. So It's either 'by design' or there's another underlying issue with your accessories. I've noticed some shaft play in my water pump as well which may be compounding the issue (sound comes from the driver side).

It may be a combination of play in the shaft, allowing the pulley to move, which may be causing less surface contact for the belt, which would then slip and make that sound. That's my working theory.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #35
leolamasM3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black M3 E93, tinted & 20" BBS

My M3 (2011 E93) also started this same squeak under quick acceleration when shifting gears at high RPMs. The squeak started around 34K-35K miles just before hitting 4 years of use when my warranty would expire. But luckily my local BMW dealership (BMW of Ann Arbor) has been very good to my cars and always welcome a challenge (especially since I'm sure they get paid by BMW to perform warranty services). Although my experience with previous dealerships have been terrible (all brands...), I gotta give credit when it's deserved; and my service advisor (Dereck) along with the service staff of BMW of Ann Arbor went above and beyond to get my issue solved.

* Short version of solution:
They changed all the belts and tensioners in the engine and the noise went away. Bam! "Simple" like that.

* Long version of solution:
It took a little over than 3 weeks to solve this issue. Yes, my car was in the shop during all this time. I was provided a normal 2015 328i as a loaner in the meanwhile. Better than not having a car at all although my M3 is so much more fun to drive. No comparisons.
Shop foreman testdrove it and immediately acknowledged the noise. He tried a few things but noise didn't go away. After about a week with no luck, he opened a case with BMW about it.
BMW happens to have engineers (this is what my service advisor told me) that can be sent to the dealership to help identify oddball issues when the local staff can't figure it out. And this is what happened here.
Second week: engineer contacted foreman via phone and provided some directions to try fixing the issue over the phone. About another week of failed attempts. No dice... Engineer scheduled to stop by and work on the car with local staff on the following week.
Third week: engineer arrives and starts troubleshooting the car. This is what it was done while the engineer was in the shop before they actually found the culprit (trying to remember what was written on the final paperwork I got):
1) installed "chassis ear" on the car to try narrow down the issue.
2) entire mechanical rear end was pulled off for inspection: rear differential, exhaust, shaft, etc... No fault was found. They assembled everything back with proper torque and specs.
3) chassis ear finally caught something coming from the engine area. Inspected the engine area for faulty components.
4) it was established the belts and tensioners, although not in bad shape, were not as prestine as they could. They then decided to change all of them and apply the proper tension as needed. Voila, problem fixed!
5) Engineer said goodbye and all was covered by warranty. I paid nothing for it, thanks God for that.
Appreciate 4
mkoesel7511.50
SoCalRPM885.50
      07-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #36
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolamasM3
My M3 (2011 E93) also started this same squeak under quick acceleration when shifting gears at high RPMs. The squeak started around 34K-35K miles just before hitting 4 years of use when my warranty would expire. But luckily my local BMW dealership (BMW of Ann Arbor) has been very good to my cars and always welcome a challenge (especially since I'm sure they get paid by BMW to perform warranty services). Although my experience with previous dealerships have been terrible (all brands...), I gotta give credit when it's deserved; and my service advisor (Dereck) along with the service staff of BMW of Ann Arbor went above and beyond to get my issue solved.

They changed all the belts and tensioners in the engine and the noise went away. Bam! "Simple" like that.

It took a little over than 3 weeks to solve this issue. Yes, my car was in the shop during all this time. I was provided a normal 2015 328i as a loaner in the meanwhile. Better than not having a car at all although my M3 is so much more fun to drive. No comparisons.
Shop foreman testdrove it and immediately acknowledged the noise. He tried a few things but noise didn't go away. After about a week with no luck, he opened a case with BMW about it.
BMW happens to have engineers (this is what my service advisor told me) that can be sent to the dealership to help identify oddball issues when the local staff can't figure it out. And this is what happened here.
Second week: engineer contacted foreman via phone and provided some directions to try fixing the issue over the phone. About another week of failed attempts. No dice... Engineer scheduled to stop by and work on the car with local staff on the following week.
Third week: engineer arrives and starts troubleshooting the car. This is what it was done while the engineer was in the shop before they actually found the culprit (trying to remember what was written on the final paperwork I got):
2) entire mechanical rear end was pulled off for inspection: rear differential, exhaust, shaft, etc... No fault was found. They assembled everything back with proper torque and specs.
3) chassis ear finally caught something coming from the engine area. Inspected the engine area for faulty components.
4) it was established the belts and tensioners, although not in bad shape, were not as prestine as they could. They then decided to change all of them and apply the proper tension as needed. Voila, problem fixed!
5) Engineer said goodbye and all was covered by warranty. I paid nothing for it, thanks God for that.
Wow! Cool to hear your local dealer is that competent and confidant, wish we could borrow your techs in Valencia! Good looking out on that reply bud. Mine started doing this under heavy load with aggressive shift levels selected. I was looking to do my pulleys and tensioners any ways, so this will be cool to put to the test.
      07-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #37
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great job! What a good dealer. You should call BMWNA to let them know how great the dealer is.

I don't have my car anymore but it's cool to have validation that it was a real problem and not "normal"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #38
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolamasM3 View Post

I am going to try another local dealer and keep this post in my back pocket!

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #39
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
The pulley on my harrop supercharger squeaks like the OP's when I'm shifting hard thru 1-3. Tiny squeak. It happens intermittently since install and I had it checked. Don't worry.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #40
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Shoot mine started yesterday and in one day, now it sounds like this kinda scared cause its freakin loud specially pressing the gas makes it louder but goes away after the car heats up.

04-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #41
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolamasM3

great write up. my car is out of warranty next week and I'm assuming I'll have to pay out of pocket for this. any idea of the cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #42
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey
The pulley on my harrop supercharger squeaks like the OP's when I'm shifting hard thru 1-3. Tiny squeak. It happens intermittently since install and I had it checked. Don't worry.
so doing a SC kit will replace these pulleys anyway I'm assuming?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 02:31 AM   #43
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Many years later I suspect more folks may run into this issue as these cars age. I can confirm I was able to remedy this by replacing the tensioners, pulleys, and drive belt. Part numbers:

11287838194 - Adjusting pulley with lever
11287838196 - Adjusting pulley with lever
11287835417 - Belt tensioner
11287837898 - Ribbed v-belt
11287841529 - Air Conditioning drive belt
11287841228 - Pulley idler/deflection pulley
11287841546 - Hydraulic belt tensioner
11287841531 - Deflection pulley for A/C compressor belt

Hope it helps others
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #44
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Many years later I suspect more folks may run into this issue as these cars age. I can confirm I was able to remedy this by replacing the tensioners, pulleys, and drive belt. Part numbers:

Hope it helps others
Nice! I've had this squeak on my e92 but haven't bothered to troubleshoot it yet, and I think this is the reason.

My squeak is only on upshifts in fast DCT shift settings. Sounds like something rubber is squeaking very quickly right as the trans shifts, as if your tires were on a very smooth polished concrete and you turn the steering wheel just a tiny bit where the tire makes a little squeak.