BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

03-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

M2.5 - Road & Track Full Test 135i

DATA PANEL:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...508_RT_BMW.pdf

ARTICLE:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6590

"While not in the same league as the M3, this hotted-up version of the 1 Series is best described as an "M2.5."

"The reduced weight and muscular powertrain deliver at least two-thirds the excitement of the 414-bhp V-8-powered M3 Coupe. So in this respect, the 1 Series does live up to its expectation as a sort of entry-level vehicle into the world of M."

"But the real thrill ride in the line is the 135i. Weighing slightly more at 3340 lb., this model has amazing pulling power. For those who remember what a big deal it was when the M5 boasted 300 horses, the 135i represents a similar breakthrough in performance for this class of rear-drive vehicle, giving new meaning to the term "pocket rocket."

"The 135i is a driver's car, a "gotta have" car."
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Thanks for the post.

I have to admit, I sometimes think about trading my 335 for a 135. I love my 3, but one of my beefs is that it feels a lot heavier and not as nimble as the E46 I owned perviously. You just know that N54 in the 1 series chassis is going to be a killer combo.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Curb weight for a 335 is only 3571, that's barely 200 pounds more. I don't get where the 135 has so much appeal. It looks like a jap car to me and doesn't weigh a whole lot less. I'd rather have a BMW that actually looks and feels like a BMW. A little weight reduction on your own car (and maybe a diet, haha), and your 335 can weigh as little as the 135 does. If I remember correctly, the 135 has the same suspension and everything as the 335, so there's no gain there either. And for the price...? I personally think BMW failed horribly with the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

I really don't see much performance difference compared to the 335.

It costs too much and doesn't look very good. Looks like a teenager's car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
Curb weight for a 335 is only 3571, that's barely 200 pounds more. I don't get where the 135 has so much appeal. It looks like a jap car to me and doesn't weigh a whole lot less. I'd rather have a BMW that actually looks and feels like a BMW. A little weight reduction on your own car (and maybe a diet, haha), and your 335 can weigh as little as the 135 does. If I remember correctly, the 135 has the same suspension and everything as the 335, so there's no gain there either. And for the price...? I personally think BMW failed horribly with the 1 series.
The funny thing is, I have yet to see one remotely negative review.

The supsension actually is different, and slightly stiffer.

It's for people who don't want a big car, basically. The 335i is excellent, but I don't need a car that big. The cars I primarily cross-shopped the 1'er with are the Z4MC, and the C6. Decided I needed a back seat, but don't need something as big as a three series.

I don't really care about brand image, badge snobery, or curb appeal. Fun to drive was my primary consideration, and the 1'er offers as much (or more) driving fun compared to the 3 series, with less bulk, and less cost.

For me, it was a fairly easy choice. If I needed a bigger car, it would have been a 335i. Since I don't, the 135i is a good choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
The funny thing is, I have yet to see one remotely negative review.

The supsension actually is different, and slightly stiffer.

It's for people who don't want a big car, basically. The 335i is excellent, but I don't need a car that big. The cars I primarily cross-shopped the 1'er with are the Z4MC, and the C6. Decided I needed a back seat, but don't need something as big as a three series.

I don't really care about brand image, badge snobery, or curb appeal. Fun to drive was my primary consideration, and the 1'er offers as much (or more) driving fun compared to the 3 series, with less bulk, and less cost.

For me, it was a fairly easy choice. If I needed a bigger car, it would have been a 335i. Since I don't, the 135i is a good choice!
Well I certainly don't speak for everyone. If you found what you like in it, then great. I don't mean to say that it doesn't look good enough so I can show off owning a BMW as much as I just simply mean that it doesn't have the BMW look that I do like. I don't buy cars to show off, I buy them for what I like in them and what they offer to me, and to me the small curvy cars like the 135 don't look as attractive.

I honestly thought after seeing the original pictures of the 1 series that we'd see at least 500 pounds off the 335, and cheaper prices. For being so close in weight and cost coming in JUST under the 335, it doesn't do it for me.

And also, I'll have to look into the suspension. I had thought it was supposed to be the same, or at least very similar. If it's stiffer then that's a plus for handling, then again, how many of us on these types of boards ever leave anything stock, even if it's got a sport suspension?

I hope you like it. Maybe I'll be completely wrong about the 1's, maybe BMW will add more to set it apart or at least lower the price a little, who knows. It's certainly a nice car still, even if it doesn't beat out a 335 for me.

Edit: Ironically, right after posting this, my boss came in and handed me his BMW Magazine that's featuring the 1 series. I think I'll have a further read.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Well I certainly don't speak for everyone. If you found what you like in it, then great. I don't mean to say that it doesn't look good enough so I can show off owning a BMW as much as I just simply mean that it doesn't have the BMW look that I do like. I don't buy cars to show off, I buy them for what I like in them and what they offer to me, and to me the small curvy cars like the 135 don't look as attractive.

I honestly thought after seeing the original pictures of the 1 series that we'd see at least 500 pounds off the 335, and cheaper prices. For being so close in weight and cost coming in JUST under the 335, it doesn't do it for me.

And also, I'll have to look into the suspension. I had thought it was supposed to be the same, or at least very similar. If it's stiffer then that's a plus for handling, then again, how many of us on these types of boards ever leave anything stock, even if it's got a sport suspension?

I hope you like it. Maybe I'll be completely wrong about the 1's, maybe BMW will add more to set it apart or at least lower the price a little, who knows. It's certainly a nice car still, even if it doesn't beat out a 335 for me.
If you needs something bigger and sleak, the E92 is a good choice.

We'll see, I think it'll be a cult car. BMW isn't planning on selling very many. 10,000 combined for ALL 1 series models.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Its not the weight guys, its the shorter wheel base that makes it handle better. Although an extra 198 lbs less doesn't hurt.

Every review has been amazing. I mean come on R&T are calling it "M2.5". How in the hell is that a failure?

To 60 mph its faster by .2, from there the 135i keeps pulling. To 100 mph 135i gets there in 11.5 sec vs 12.1 sec for the 335i. And to 140 mph 135i gets there in 25.6 vs 28 sec for the 335i.

For people who actually plan on driving their car hard and modding it for track use, the 135i is definitely the way to go.

But I am waiting for the next 5-series with the TT V8. Can you say ECU upgrade.

Quote:
Could you imagine how insecure the 335i owners(which I am one) would be if it was 500 lbs lighter and cheaper. It would be a rocket.

Quote:
Once again its the shorter wheelbase that is allowing the 135i to handle better.

Road & Track Slalom numbers ~2 mph diff. and only .8 behind new M3.

335i - 68.7 mph

135i - 70.6 mph

M3 - 71.4 mph (advantage, non-runflats)
Appreciate 0