BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Black - DCT

Surge in second gear

Hi all. I just got my first E90 M3. Been looking for the right one for about a year now and moved on an '09 E90 DCT, Jet Black. Absolutely love it, one of the best engines I've ever driven.

But! And this is probably just me getting used to the DCT, I've been noticing the car is really clunky and surges when it downshifts into 2nd. For example when I'm rolling into a stop from 3rd and the car automatically shifts down, the car lurches forward and it's a really harsh shift. Same thing happens if I shift it myself. Doesn't matter what the speed of the engine is, always happens.

Is this normal? I've done quite a few searching and it looks like maybe a software update could resolve, so I have an apt with dealer next week to look into that, but before I take it to them I was wondering if maybe this is normal and I'm just either not used to it, or not driving the car right.

Also notice when I start the car and move from N into gear it really clunks to get into gear. Is that also no big deal?

Appreciate the help! Excited to finally have my E90.
      04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertonio View Post
Hi all. I just got my first E90 M3. Been looking for the right one for about a year now and moved on an '09 E90 DCT, Jet Black. Absolutely love it, one of the best engines I've ever driven.

But! And this is probably just me getting used to the DCT, I've been noticing the car is really clunky and surges when it downshifts into 2nd. For example when I'm rolling into a stop from 3rd and the car automatically shifts down, the car lurches forward and it's a really harsh shift. Same thing happens if I shift it myself. Doesn't matter what the speed of the engine is, always happens.

Is this normal? I've done quite a few searching and it looks like maybe a software update could resolve, so I have an apt with dealer next week to look into that, but before I take it to them I was wondering if maybe this is normal and I'm just either not used to it, or not driving the car right.

Also notice when I start the car and move from N into gear it really clunks to get into gear. Is that also no big deal?

Appreciate the help! Excited to finally have my E90.
There have been numerous software updates that have made DCT almost perfect. I would take your car to the dealer and find out what software you are running.

I do believe some vendors on here can take your vin and give you similar info.
      04-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

You have...100 % sure the famous DCT second gear lag !
I had the same problem,update from BWM-dealer...done,shifts now just perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Agreed, likely the lag issue but do check which drive logic mode you are in. I have found that if you are in 4 or 5, the throttle blip when downshifting can cause a feeling that the car is surging. Especially if you are expecting some engine braking with the downshift!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. The surge happens when I'm at shift level 2 or 3, pretty mild driving. Even in D mode. Hoping the software update does the trick! Is there a way I can find out what version I'm running before I head to the dealer?

Even with the shift oddities I'm in love with this car. I'm coming from a 335i and an E36 M3. Both amazing cars, but I this E9x M3 has them beat. What a masterpiece.
      04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. The surge happens when I'm at shift level 2 or 3, pretty mild driving. Even in D mode. Hoping the software update does the trick! Is there a way I can find out what version I'm running before I head to the dealer?

Even with the shift oddities I'm in love with this car. I'm coming from a 335i and an E36 M3. Both amazing cars, but I this E9x M3 has them beat. What a masterpiece.
For your software version you can ask them before they program the new version !
BTW...you need to ask after the 240 E, this is the latest version,and then you will feel also more power,your car will pulling better and quicker shifts
But there is one man....he is called Mike Benvo (BPM-tuning) he knows everything about software tuning and programs,he is specialized in ///M3 !
So if you have more questions or you consider a tune...i will soon,this is the man for it ! see link v v v
http://www.bpmsport.com/tuning.php

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-10-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I believe the lag and clunky downshifts into 2nd are separate issues.

I posted about this in another thread and it seems like a fairly common issue. I have DCT software dating to 2010 and others had the latest versions. I find that you learn to drive around it via the way you brake and/or the car learning your driving habits. Use to be surprised every now and then by a thud when the car downshifted into 2nd on its own, but can't remember the last time that happened.

I don't think it should occur every time though and shouldn't happen if you're downshifting on your own. The car not being smooth from neutral into gear would also concern me. It's a "lifetime" fluid and all, but I'd get the fluid checked if the problem persists. I'd also try driving another DCT car to see if it acts similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep

I was thinking it's just a matter of me getting used to the new transmission, and the car getting used to me (no idea how the previous owner drove it), but seems odd it would be so bad in only that gear and no matter how I'm driving it. Auto mode, M mode, even when I shift it myself in town. Feels like there's something wrong with that gear.

Luckily the car is still under warranty so if there is an issue, hoping the dealer can fix.

I hope to eventually get an engine tune from Mike, but blew my budget on the car, so no mods for awhile! If the dealer isn't willing to upgrade the software then I'll turn to Mike for help.

This is another topic, but: I also hear a whining sound from the engine that matches engine speed. Almost sounds like a supercharger. Seen a few posts about it. Some say it's normal, some say it's the power steering. Should I be concerned? Need to find another DCT to drive around and compare.

Thanks again!
      04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
swein1992
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Silverstone

I have the same problem, too. So jerky on 2nd gear it's almost unbearable! I took it to the dealer and they said its very common with M3s so they wouldn't update the software. Thinking about taking it to another dealer. Does your car makes a really loud clicking noise when switching from neutral to drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swein1992
I have the same problem, too. So jerky on 2nd gear it's almost unbearable! I took it to the dealer and they said its very common with M3s so they wouldn't update the software. Thinking about taking it to another dealer. Does your car makes a really loud clicking noise when switching from neutral to drive?
Yes, it makes a really loud clunking noise from P or N into gear. No matter if it's cold or warmed up. Shakes the car. Just doesn't seem right to me.

I have an apt on Wednesday with the dealer, I'll let you know what they say. If they're not willing to update the software I'm going to talk to Mike about at least getting the latest software version.
      04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it makes a really loud clunking noise from P or N into gear. No matter if it's cold or warmed up. Shakes the car. Just doesn't seem right to me.

I have an apt on Wednesday with the dealer, I'll let you know what they say. If they're not willing to update the software I'm going to talk to Mike about at least getting the latest software version.
100 % agreed...best thing to do is....contact Mike
And talk wednesday with your dealer about the 240 E update !
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm definitely in the same boat as you guys. When driving at slow speeds in second gear, the car just seems really jerky. I mean I understand why, because the car cannot predict when I'm going to accelerate or brake thus it needs to control the clutch engagement and disengagement.

For example, If I'm driving at 15mph in traffic speeds, the car hesitates whether it should put the clutch in or out which I think is the problem thus causing the "clank".

Also even when I'm driving in S3 mode (or any in fact) and approaching a stop sign in second gear, the car lurches forward slightly on the aggressive side which I don't like.

I have to keep bugging my dealer in order to get that software update. If not, maybe I'll contact EAS on pricing to have it done.
      04-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep

So I took the car to the dealer, drove around with a technician and he noticed the lag/surge as well. They're going to reset the memory the car had taken on from the previous driver, and they're hoping that reset will help with the issue. Basically un-learn what it had learned from the first owner. I'm not holding out much hope. Will get the car back tomorrow and report.

Hoping they'll also update to the latest 240E software, but they seemed a bit reluctant to do that. Not sure why they don't like to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
So I took the car to the dealer, drove around with a technician and he noticed the lag/surge as well. They're going to reset the memory the car had taken on from the previous driver, and they're hoping that reset will help with the issue. Basically un-learn what it had learned from the first owner. I'm not holding out much hope. Will get the car back tomorrow and report.

Hoping they'll also update to the latest 240E software, but they seemed a bit reluctant to do that. Not sure why they don't like to do that.
Please let us know the result of the update !
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
supertonio
Newish Member
United_States
Rep

Got the car back yesterday. They didn't update the software but they did the the DCT Adaptation Relearn. Feels a bit smoother, but still a bit off. Going to drive it for a week or two and see what happens.

Weird thing is they really avoided the software updating. Two difference SA's tried changing the subject when I brought it up. Not sure what that's all about, seems like they'd want the latest software in there, obviously the updates are meant to address issues. Trying to get ahold of Mike, but I imagine he's pretty swamped.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Got the car back yesterday. They didn't update the software but they did the the DCT Adaptation Relearn. Feels a bit smoother, but still a bit off. Going to drive it for a week or two and see what happens.

Weird thing is they really avoided the software updating. Two difference SA's tried changing the subject when I brought it up. Not sure what that's all about, seems like they'd want the latest software in there, obviously the updates are meant to address issues. Trying to get ahold of Mike, but I imagine he's pretty swamped.
Contact Mike is the best thing to do, soon i will also contact him for the BPM tune,but i have read on this forum he his working on a new type of cables (remote-cable-tuning) type II an will operate in 3 weeks
Appreciate 0