BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
VW Hybrid SUV

Quote:
From WorldCarFans website.
The Volkswagen Touareg already straddles both sides of the petrolium fuel fence, with gasoline and diesel-engined versions available. When the next-generation Touareg drops in 2010, VW plans to extend that powertrain flexibility to include a gas/electric hybrid as well.

Prototypes are already in testing. The Touareg hybrid will use an all-new 245 kW (333 hp) supercharged 3.0 liter direct-injection V6 gasoline engine connected to an electric motor. This engine produces 440 Nm (325 lb-ft) torque from 3000 rpm. The E-motor adds another 38 kW (52 hp), as well as a massive 300 Nm (221 lb-ft) torque.

The Touareg will be a parallel hybrid, with both gas and electric motors working together to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. The electric motor can also power the Touareg alone for up to 50 km/h (30 mph), and Volkswagen plans to incorporate a switch that enables the driver to lock it in electric mode for gas-free travel. Power is routed to the wheels through a new eight-speed automatic transmission.

The Touareg hybrid will incorporate a stop-start system for fuel savings during city driving, as well as regenerative braking to charge the nickel metal-hydride battery that powers the E-motor.

The capabilities of the Touareg aren't lost with the transition to hybrid power, either. Volkswagen says the hybrid Touareg will still tow up to 3.5 metric tonnes, and that off-road and hill climbing ability are not affected. To offset the weight of the batteries and hybrid system, a lighter Torsen 4x4 differential and electronic power steering have been added.
It looks like VW are stealing Audi technology for their own ends, first the S4 engine and now Quattro.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
HLDC11
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i

not surprised, vw and audi are essentially the same company
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General