BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Fellow NY-ers, pothole checks plz!

I haven't been home since this past winter and when I came back, the roads on the FDR and Queensboro BR is just...pathetic, even for a civic. Is it better now?!? How are the potholes? Filled? sections repaved??

Biggest offender is the FDR stretch around 96th st exit northbound when going to new england...STAY OUT OF THE RIGHT LANE...omfg

Then i guess queensboro upper roadway eastbound is the next worry-some part, but at least u can dodge those craters more easily

I'm taking CT15->cross county->Maj Deegan->3rd ave br->FDR->Queensboro->LIE

Normally, I wouldn't care about these since I usually take the civic, but weather's nice and it's summer, so the M has to come out of the garage!

If it's still bad, i'm just gonna say screw it and take the throgs neck and eat the toll...effing MTA B&T
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

no one has driven on the queensboro or FDR recently?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Nothing has really changed on FDR since winter.
Cant tell you much about queensboro, I only take the westbound at times.
      06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I drive the Queensboro bridge 2x every day. From NYC to Queens I take the outside lower level lane and there are no bad potholes there. On days when I take the upper level to Queens there are some really bad parts on the Queens side approaching Thompson Avenue where, without warning, large sections of concrete have been removed with major lips on each end. I wouldn't want to hit those at speed. On the way back to NYC I almost always take the upper level and that was repaved a little over a year ago and it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

i was on the fdr coming from the battery all the way up to 125th in my E90, with 20" bbs's. Its fine in the middle and left, I dont push it, but there was two things Id watch out for, you may miss it depending on where you get on, but somewhere around 23rd or above, I cant remember the whole highway takes a slow dip, if your flying youll scratch.. oddly enough the whole highway slows down there so they all know about it which helped me cause I DIDNT.. i was fine, but the middle lane up higher, near maybe 61st and above there is this one fucking manhole cover that is sunken.. well, I hit it.. It hurt, it sounded bad, I waited for my tpms to go off.. it never did, and when I got off at 125th my bbs was fine, THANK GOD.. Going home from 125th I stayed in middle, just watch and youll be fine.. I take my car everywhere, im careful, I even went up to Norwalk that day and was fine, I dont speed so I can swerve if needed and Im watching the roads like a motha, lol. Good Luck

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I drive the Queensboro bridge 2x every day. From NYC to Queens I take the outside lower level lane and there are no bad potholes there. On days when I take the upper level to Queens there are some really bad parts on the Queens side approaching Thompson Avenue where, without warning, large sections of concrete have been removed with major lips on each end. I wouldn't want to hit those at speed. On the way back to NYC I almost always take the upper level and that was repaved a little over a year ago and it is fine.
Thompson ave is where I got my 328's fresh 189 rims and tires mounted busted and curbed on the entire pass side because of huge ass crater.

Yeah I normally go for the upper roadway entrance coming at 57th street getting off the FDR. Those missing sections are just brutal, especially that area to get on Van Damm St

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimel View Post
i was on the fdr coming from the battery all the way up to 125th in my E90, with 20" bbs's. Its fine in the middle and left, I dont push it, but there was two things Id watch out for, you may miss it depending on where you get on, but somewhere around 23rd or above, I cant remember the whole highway takes a slow dip, if your flying youll scratch.. oddly enough the whole highway slows down there so they all know about it which helped me cause I DIDNT.. i was fine, but the middle lane up higher, near maybe 61st and above there is this one fucking manhole cover that is sunken.. well, I hit it.. It hurt, it sounded bad, I waited for my tpms to go off.. it never did, and when I got off at 125th my bbs was fine, THANK GOD.. Going home from 125th I stayed in middle, just watch and youll be fine.. I take my car everywhere, im careful, I even went up to Norwalk that day and was fine, I dont speed so I can swerve if needed and Im watching the roads like a motha, lol. Good Luck
Omg, i think I know about that sunken manhole cover. Is it before you go under the "tunnel" of a building (forgot what building, i think it's a university?)

All this just to get to long island haha
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

its like we need a shot of espresso to drive our cars through these boroughs.. smh... and eyes like this.. SO WORTH IT THOUGH!!!

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
I stick to West-Side Highway at all costs. 15-20 minutes of extra traveling time to save a wheel seems pretty worth it.
+1, FDR is terrible...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
I stick to West-Side Highway at all costs. 15-20 minutes of extra traveling time to save a wheel seems pretty worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
+1, FDR is terrible...
Genius! Totally forgot about that. The toll is only if I take the saw mill parkway and use the henry hudson bridge right? I can cut that and use maj deegan and cross over via the university bridge and get to 9A that way?

After that, i can use 57th street to get on the queensboro
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon
+1 FDR is where LP tires go to die.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

aright thanks guys for the input. I'll be taking the west side highway and cut across via 57th. my ETA is midnight so if any of you are out partying and see me, dont forget to post on the spotted thread! haha...or just wave
Appreciate 0