BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

05-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Done!

I just ordered my AW M3 yesterday, for Euro delivery! I'm pretty excited...My expected pick up date is the end of July, and then it's off to the Ring! Does anyone who took Euro delivery know about how long it takes to get the car back to the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Congrats mike! Enjoy the 'ring' for the both of us. What are you doing with the S5?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I just ordered my AW M3 yesterday, for Euro delivery! I'm pretty excited...My expected pick up date is the end of July, and then it's off to the Ring! Does anyone who took Euro delivery know about how long it takes to get the car back to the states?
It took 6 weeks from Zurich to Tampa when we dropped my wife's 530i off after euro delivery. Congrat's- You're gonna love it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Congrats mike! Enjoy the 'ring' for the both of us. What are you doing with the S5?
Thanks, I will. Anyone have suggestions for filming? I want to get a small video cam and a solid mount for the drive.

The S5 is going to a friend of mine, so I'll still have access when I need a fix....We'll see if that actually happens though.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You are from Chicago so I guess it will be around 4 to 6 weeks. I got mine in 4 sleepless weeks. Your car will still be in break-in mileage when you go around the ring and it is tempting to exceed the recommended RPM/Speed. Include a drive on Stelvio Pass. Have a safe trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Six weeks eh? I'm gonna go through withdrawl... The S5 took forEVER to get back. I hope the M is quicker.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
You are from Chicago so I guess it will be around 4 to 6 weeks. I got mine in 4 sleepless weeks. Your car will still be in break-in mileage when you go around the ring and it is tempting to exceed the recommended RPM/Speed. Include a drive on Stelvio Pass. Have a safe trip.
I forgot about that. IS there an actual limiter on the car or is that up to my over developed right foot? I did the Davos-Stelvio thing the last time, and I agree that was an amazing experience. I may go back to Davos or St. Moritz this time...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats!

Im going end of this month to pick up mine at the Welt. Since im in Chicago as well ill keep ya updated on how it takes for redelivery.
      05-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

Having the unique perspective of driving both the S5 and the M3, I'd be curious to get your reactions.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
cboneck
Private
Rep
Drives: LR3

Remind me when you picking up ... I'm now slated for 5.28 at 9:40 a.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Congrats!

Im going end of this month to pick up mine at the Welt. Since im in Chicago as well ill keep ya updated on how it takes for redelivery.
      05-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

congrats
i think my next BMW will be purchased through ED
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboneck View Post
Remind me when you picking up ... I'm now slated for 5.28 at 9:40 a.m.

My time is 9am on 5/28 as well.

I will be the Indian guy doing this --->

So most likely run into each other!
      05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugeMobile View Post
Having the unique perspective of driving both the S5 and the M3, I'd be curious to get your reactions.
Ok, here's the skinny on both cars from my perspective. The first time I drove the S5 I kept thinking, "I can't believe how good this car is." The first time I drove the M3 I kept thinking, "I'm leaving in a week to get my S5, do NOT like this car..."

The Audi is fast, smooth and sexy. In Europe, I was literally gawked at everywhere I went. The interior of the S5 is like a cockpit, and all of the controlls and features are well thought out. Once I got to the Nurburgring, I noticed the suspension was soft, the brakes fade and the steering felt slightly vague. Also, the car felt very heavy and underpowered, or at least the power was not in the right spot for the track. It's all down low in the RPM band. None of this was apparent on regular roads, however. The Audi is extremely capable and a joy on long trips. 12 or 13 hour days are easy in this car. The sound system is the best stock system I have ever heard, and it's better than a lot of aftermarket ones I've heard. When you turn off the traction control, this car really comes to life, and you can push surprisingly hard (I didn't turn it off at the ring - I'm a sissy, I know). Much more fun than when it's on. The AWD is outstanding in normal driving conditions, and it allows for more care free daily driving, especially in traction deficient conditions.

The M3 is aggressive, and more sharply focused. The 09 interior is decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Audi interior. The human interface is ok, but some of the controls are a bit pedestrian. The stereo sucks. All of that changes once you start driving it. The steering inputs are spot on, the handling on and off the throttle is excellent, and the engine has over-rev capabilities that are perfect for racetrack or spirited street driving. My motorcycle racing background has conditioned me to a certain feel exiting corners, and the Audi's low redline gets in the way constantly. The M3 just keeps going. The overall package at speed leaves me , and that is the difference between the cars. The M3 exudes immediacy and power like a young German Sheppard, and it constantly urges you to run with it, or it want's to play catch (i.e. Vettes, Cobra's etc...).

I love them both, but as a mere public servant, I can't have both in the garage. At the end of the day, performance wins me over. The Audi is a better GT car and the M3 is a a sharper tool. Time will tell how the M3 feels on the long haul, but, I feel much more in control of the M3, and it leaves me grinning like an idiot, as opposed to the smug satisfaction I feel with the Audi.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Quote:
Appreciate 0