BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #45
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Well going off what you said earlier I'm sure you don't think .3 seconds on a 1:30 track is close at all. Putting a formula 1 car on a tighter track will make the gap smaller also, does that mean the GT3 has a better chassis than a F1 because the gap got smaller? Tighter track just levels everything out because the Speciale can't use its power but it still beat it by "A LOT" of time according to your standards.
I dont think the comparison to an F1 car is valid, because one is a street car and the other a race car.

I dont see .3 seconds on 1:3X laps to be significant.

The 458's advantage over the GT3 is by and large power and not chassis. That is quite evident by looking at a smaller track as provided above. To me that says the 458 was much faster on the straight at Portimao...again, 125 hp is a massive difference, over 26% more power.

My point with the 997 GT2 RS, when you level out the power, you can clearly see that the GT2 RS is able to at least easily beat the Speciale on Hockenheim GP which is used for pro racing, by 2 seconds. So even though the GT2 RS is quite old, and its chassis not nearly the level of the 991, is still beating Ferrari's current best, and by quite a large margin.

Draw what conclusions you may, but it certainly seems logical to me if a 5 year old GT2 RS build on a chassis developed in the mid 90's is beating a Ferrari chassis only developed maybe 5-7 years ago what a new version of that car (if they make it) will do, and what the GT3 would do evening out power. To me, the Porsche still edges it out in chassis as they historically have.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #46
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Well going off what you said earlier I'm sure you don't think .3 seconds on a 1:30 track is close at all. Putting a formula 1 car on a tighter track will make the gap smaller also, does that mean the GT3 has a better chassis than a F1 because the gap got smaller? Tighter track just levels everything out because the Speciale can't use its power but it still beat it by "A LOT" of time according to your standards.
I dont think the comparison to an F1 car is valid, because one is a street car and the other a race car.

I dont see .3 seconds on 1:3X laps to be significant.

The 458's advantage over the GT3 is by and large power and not chassis. That is quite evident by looking at a smaller track as provided above. To me that says the 458 was much faster on the straight at Portimao...again, 125 hp is a massive difference, over 26% more power.

My point with the 997 GT2 RS, when you level out the power, you can clearly see that the GT2 RS is able to at least easily beat the Speciale on Hockenheim GP which is used for pro racing, by 2 seconds. So even though the GT2 RS is quite old, and its chassis not nearly the level of the 991, is still beating Ferrari's current best, and by quite a large margin.

Draw what conclusions you may, but it certainly seems logical to me if a 5 year old GT2 RS build on a chassis developed in the mid 90's is beating a Ferrari chassis only developed maybe 5-7 years ago what a new version of that car (if they make it) will do, and what the GT3 would do evening out power. To me, the Porsche still edges it out in chassis as they historically have.
The F1 comparison is very valid, the point of that comparison was to show that no matter what car you have, if you put it on a tight technical course it's advantage will be smaller. For example comparing a GT3 to a F1 car at Monza which has the highest average speed on the F1 calendar or putting it on some tight technical course.

How do you think half a second on a 2 min track is a long time but .3 on a 1.3x isn't? I guess what ever favors the Porsche huh..

You have to take a car for what it is, not say "if the gt3 rs had more power etc..." Because that game can go on forever.. Roll cage to stiffen up the Ferrari.. Huge rear wing to keep the back in place .. Sticker tires to keep up with the chassis.. Etc

I have never driven a Speciale but I've been in the new GT3 and I've had a lot of seat time in a 430 Scuderia and for me, it's Ferrari all day.. It's not even close.