BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

M3 vs Jaguar F Type V8 S

Hi guys,
I loved my M3 and enjoyed the sound. Don't have it anymore.

I have a Range Rover Sport Supercharged and don't need a dual purpose car. My Range Rover has been bullet proof and has only gone to the dealership for oil changes. Thinking of getting into a Jaguar F Type V8 S as a weekend and nice weather car. Thoughts?

By the way - I tried a Porsche Boxster S as well as a 911 Cabriolet S. They are great cars - but there was no passion involved. When I drove the Jag - just firing up the engine made me feel like a school-boy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

pretty sweet car...

but you could also get a lightly used r8 v8 for that money, and for me, id much rather the r8. might be a car to test drive just to see how you like it
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Check out Matt Farah's review on The Smoking Tire. He loved it... a lot. It's a fun video review and made me really interested in the car for a fun runabout. Also, on Motor Trend's best driver's car competition, the lap time on the Jag was actually pretty good. 1:40 at Laguna Seca and pretty much tied with Aston Martin and beat Cayman S.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ar_f_type.html

I say go for it if it fits your style and needs.

Last edited by Transfer; 08-22-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
jeff2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GTR Gun Metal Gray Pr Edi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield
Hi guys,

I have a Range Rover Sport Supercharged and don't need a dual purpose car. My Range Rover has been bullet proof and has only gone to the dealership for oil changes. Thinking of getting into a Jaguar F Type V8 S as a weekend and nice weather car. Thoughts?

By the way - I tried a Porsche Boxster S as well as a 911 Cabriolet S. They are great cars - but there was no passion involved. When I drove the Jag - just firing up the engine made me feel like a school-boy
I have a 2013 jag xkr and love it... I'm sure the F is awesome but for me I'll wait to test drive the F coupe when it comes out. I've seen some pics of the coupe and it looks like a winner!
      08-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

The Coupe looks great but I want a roadster. I have test driven the Roadster and loved it!!

I never thought of checking out an R8. I will do that! Thanks for the idea KennyPowers.

I think I may have fallen for the F Type V8 S. Will order in the winter for a spring arrival in all probability.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Check out Matt Farah's review on The Smoking Tire. He loved it... a lot. It's a fun video review and made me really interested in the car for a fun runabout. Also, on Motor Trend's best driver's car competition, the lap time on the Jag was actually pretty good. 1:40 at Laguna Seca and pretty much tied with Aston Martin and beat Cayman S.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ar_f_type.html

I say go for it if it fits your style and needs.
Thanks for posting the article. Going to see if I can find an R8 convertible. Otherwise F-Type here I come!! I am going to get a cat - a Jaguar of all things!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Hi guys,

Meh, I'll take what I see as a more passionate approach in the Porsches. There's a reason why the jag did not beat the winner the c4s in the best drivers car comparo. They are simply better cars to drive and IMO better looking too.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 08-23-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Meh, I'll take what I see as a more passionate approach in the Porsches. There's a reason why the jag did not beat the winner the c4s in the best drivers car comparo. They are simply better cars to drive and IMO better looking too.
I agree. I enjoyed the Porsches. They seemed perfect. They are better cars and are better made. They also handle better and are faster around a track.

At the end of the day - the only passion that is important is ones own passion. The Porsche made me THINK that it's a great car. The F-Type made me FEEL that it's what I want.

I have found that women with beauty marks appeal to me much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I love the car but why is it so goddamned expensive?
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
interesting, I actually think the price point really isn't that bad

doesn't the 510 hp v8 start at about 90k? the interior and tech is pretty solid too.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
interesting, I actually think the price point really isn't that bad

doesn't the 510 hp v8 start at about 90k? the interior and tech is pretty solid too.
I was actually speaking more to the V6 but the price of admission ain't cheap for any of them. I can get "passion" for less money. In fact I already have it. The F-Type is a GREAT car though.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Looks good, but I question reliability. Jaguar has always been known for unreliable cars.
I would take a 911 Carrera S any day, any time.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was actually speaking more to the V6 but the price of admission ain't cheap for any of them. I can get "passion" for less money. In fact I already have it. The F-Type is a GREAT car though.
I guess I see this car in a different league than the m3.

it has a nicer interior, is much more powerful, is a convertible (whether you want one or not, they are more expensive), and the styling is very good.

to me it seems like a more expensive car, which it is.

that said, I like the all around useability of the m3 and I prefer the DCT to a regular auto. so I would rather have the m3, and would pick a more focused and raw car for a weekend car if I already had a DD. but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Jaguar reliability has been an issue for decades. I was talking to a car mechanic who has an independent store & repair facility and deals in exotics.

He said that the 5.0 L V8 in the F-Type is a bullet proof engine. Actually I have the same Supercharged V8 in my Range Rover Sport. The transmission is also fine and this 8 speed ZF transmission has been used in other cars and is quite reliable.

I also have a Range Rover (not exactly known for reliability) and it has been perfect.

I am interested in what you would suggest KennyPowers when you said that you would pick a more focused and raw car for fair weather top down driving? I am open to suggestions. I will be ordering by October for a spring delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
what a shock
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an F type if you want a convertible and have the scratch. what a beast. I'd get the coupe if it weren't so expensive.

gotta get the V8, and I know how bulletproof they are.

LR and Jag can't seem to shake the reliability reputation (maybe it's just the snobbish German car enthusiasts around here that look down their nose at them), but we have had 5 Range Rover Sports in my family, and they've all been rock solid. my dad also had an '08 XK, and never a single problem with it in 4 years - great looking car and great sounding engine. handling and steering feel were a bit loose, but loved driving that car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Thanks for posting the article. Going to see if I can find an R8 convertible. Otherwise F-Type here I come!! I am going to get a cat - a Jaguar of all things!
Great choice to look for an R8 instead. Buying used it will be a somewhat similar price range but experience wayyy less depreciation than the Jag. And the ownership experience is top notch. You won't find a convertible for under $100-110k though. You may not even find a good used coupe for under $95-100k. Just be aware that the maintenance on these things is $$$. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

drove the V6S and the V8 in a Jaguar sponsored event the first month it came out. it's a fantastic car and the best Jaguar i ever drove. one of the prettiest cars on the road today, too. fantastic sound, very good acceleration (but V8 was not as explosive as cars with similar power), good handling and driving dynamics.

as an all-around sportscar, it's not as good as the 997 (much less the 991), R8 or GTR. i might even take the M3 over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Just checked a Porsche forum. Namely 6 speed on line. The Porsche guys seem to like the F-Type V8 S quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #20
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I'd get the Jag simply for the amazing noises it makes
      08-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I drove the F Type V8 at a Jag test drive event and it was great. Awesome sound, great power and it handled amazingly well. I think the term to describe the handling is Porsche-like. Very balanced and poised with a big dose of V8 power to liven things up.

I never thought I'd like a Jaguar but that car is incredible. It's really unlike any Jag before. This car begs for a manual transmission though!
      08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i would say the handling is more M3-like than it is Porsche-like. FR layout, feels pretty stable but not as light as a Porsche feels. also the steering is not as communicative as the 997's
Appreciate 0