BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

04-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #177
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijnoj09 View Post
I've actually bought the one from ebay and its good quality and the LED board they use matches OEM with even distribution.
Pics of this gem?
      04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #178
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineTuning View Post
Have you received the ebay lit-ZHP knob yet? - curious to know how it looks - I was about to start, but honestly, at this price, there is no need to do this work myself.

Thanks,
Brian
No I haven't received the knob yet. It's coming from Germany so I'm assuming it'll take like 3-4 weeks to get here. I'll post up pics once I get it and installed on my car. I got the connector today but haven't tried if it fits on the cars stock connector yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #179
PapaKlix
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
I've actually bought the one from ebay and its good quality and the LED board they use matches OEM with even distribution.
that's weird - why don't they show a picture of the light pattern that matches the OEM distribution? mine looks much more even than the ebay picture, which is clearly too bright on the 1 & 3 and the color looks off too. i'm sure 99 people out of 100 would never notice and this DIY was a BITCH of a job, but i'd do it all over again vs. buying & installing that ebay knob... unless the picture is a blatant misrepresentation of the product.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #180
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so I got the knob yesterday and just connected the wires to it to see it quickly and they're pretty good in my books. I'm still waiting for a shift boot to come in so I don't have the knob installed (should be coming in next week). I'll post some pics when everything's installed. Some details:
- The lighting is not orange it's more of a red colour
- The M doesn't light up its just chrome, so only the gears light up

I say he did a very good job.
ALSO the connector works! Anyone in need of the connector for the shift knob you'll need:
TERMINAL CONNECTOR: 61 13 8 373 583
PIN CONTACT: 61 13 0 005 198 (remember you need to order 2 of these pin contacts)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #181
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mC.NaMMeR View Post
Ok so I got the knob yesterday and just connected the wires to it to see it quickly and they're pretty good in my books. I'm still waiting for a shift boot to come in so I don't have the knob installed (should be coming in next week). I'll post some pics when everything's installed. Some details:

ALSO the connector works! Anyone in need of the connector for the shift knob you'll need:
PIN CONTACT: 61 13 0 005 198 (remember you need to order 2 of these pin contacts)
Awesome. I ordered the ebay ZHP a couple of weeks ago, still waiting... I figured for $100 I can't go wrong and I'll put my time in other projects. It does look like doing it yourself will yield a little better light distribution, but to me, I just want it lit up and this is the cheapest solution for such a great shift knob...

Thanks for posting connector part numbers - where did you order it?
Brian
///M3 2008 Coupe - Melbourne Red, BMW Performance front splitter and rear spoiler, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust w/carbon tips, MS StageII intake, Vossen CV7 20"x9" front 20"x10.5" rear, AiB LED Halo, full interior LED lighting, ZHP shift knob (lighted), black grilles & side lights, 09+ NAV controller, ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #182
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep

Quote:

Plug in your ZHP and take a photo or two if you get a chance - I will do so if mine shows up soon and add to thread if you can't... at least the thread will be full of all options for everyone.

Brian
///M3 2008 Coupe - Melbourne Red, BMW Performance front splitter and rear spoiler, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust w/carbon tips, MS StageII intake, Vossen CV7 20"x9" front 20"x10.5" rear, AiB LED Halo, full interior LED lighting, ZHP shift knob (lighted), black grilles & side lights, 09+ NAV controller, ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #183
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting connector part numbers - where did you order it?
Brian
You can purchase the connector parts at the dealer or Tischer. So my shift boot pkg got lost in the mail, now I gotta wait another few weeks for another order. I want to put on the zhp knob so bad but I know it'll bug me if I have it on without a shift boot. Stupid USPS...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #184
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Plug in your ZHP and take a photo or two if you get a chance - I will do so if mine shows up soon and add to thread if you can't... at least the thread will be full of all options for everyone.

Brian
Ask and you shall receive

Connector with 2 pins

ZHP knob

It's kind of hard to capture what it truly looks like on camera but you get the gist of it here. For the price you can't go wrong with this. I'm happy with it and plus I can bet 99.9% of you guys don't really pay attention or rely on the lights anyways when you're driving. The lights are more of a cool bonus.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #185
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

I guess you can always swap you shift pattern over from the stock knob if you want the ///M to illuminate.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #186
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep

Quote:

ZHP knob

It's kind of hard to capture what it truly looks like on camera but you get the gist of it here. For the price you can't go wrong with this. I'm happy with it and plus I can bet 99.9% of you guys don't really pay attention or rely on the lights anyways when you're driving. The lights are more of a cool bonus.
Awesome! I can't wait for mine to arrive - can't beat the price for what you get... Thanks for posting pictures.
Brian
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #187
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep

I even already have a ZHP knob in my car now - starting this process a while back. But once I put in the ZHP I didn't want to remove it, soooo much better than the stock hollow knob, just missing nice lighting feature... soon to be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #188
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mC.NaMMeR
Quote:

Brian

Connector with 2 pins

ZHP knob

That's wierd the "M" on yours doesn't illuminate... The one I got does.

Instagram: @jonji_pas
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #189
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's wierd the "M" on yours doesn't illuminate... The one I got does.
You got yours from the guy on ebay too; spitzbube85?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #190
ijnoj09
modjunkie
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
You got yours from the guy on ebay too; spitzbube85?

yes.. same seller
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #191
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
yes.. same seller
I guess you got a deal then..it would be nice if my M was illuminated but it doesn't bother me too much
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #192
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

ZHP shift knob

Just finished my BMW ZHP shift knob, it is 5 speed for my E36 M3 and got it from a BMW dealer.
Wanted to have it illuminated so transfered the leds from original knob, they do illuminate red instead of orange and that is how it came from factory, it kind of matches with the red hazard llights button.
The original knob emblem has silver color numbers and M letter but it changes to red when illuminated at night, if you byu this emblem as separate part it will come with clear transparent color so it is not the same as original.
The ebay I believe does not come in silver finish.

Please note FYI: The ZHP knob (mine is 5 speed but 6 speed should be the same) is not illuminated but it comes with silver finish numbers and m letter, do not destroy this emblem while removing, if you can manage to remove it safely this emblem will work with illumination leds and the silver color will illuminate at night when you turn on the lights.
I almost took a different route but decided to spend extra time to remove it slowly and be patient, so I used the same emblem with silver finish that came ZHP knob.
I am only providing you with some feedback that might help someone who can save the original ZHP emblem. I read many instructions to drill a hole on it and remove it easy but don't damage it if you can and see for yourself that it illuminates when leds are on the back ot it.
Will post some pictures of the finished illuminated ZHP knob.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #193
screamguitar47
Rep

thanks for this DIY. Ordered mine last week and looking forward to installing. Will post pix when done.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #194
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

How's the weight on these ebay shifters?
      05-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #195
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

So is the way to go, just to splice the wires?
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #196
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
How's the weight on these ebay shifters?
I have never felt a non illuminated stock ZHP knob before but the weight on these ebay ones are for sure more solid and weighted than the stock goose neck knobs. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
So is the way to go, just to splice the wires?
Yup! You can choose to snip the connector off your stock knob then splice it to the ZHP knob OR you can order the connector and splice that to your knob if you want to keep your stock one intact.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #197
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I guess you got a deal then..it would be nice if my M was illuminated but it doesn't bother me too much
Spitzbube told me in a message that he can't source the illuminated M knobs any more. But it's easy to transfer the cap off your stock knob, just pop it off with a flathead.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #198
navigator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm having problems getting my old shift knob to come off. Any tips? I've tried pulling it straight up but it seems to be on fairly tight.
Is it just a matter of brute force? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0