BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

03-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #89
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

theres always the pro certification process also. take the course for that and there is tons of class time and driving theory as well as real world driving so your prepared for a much higher level of driving and competition.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #90
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Are you guys disappointed with BMWCCA instructors?
      03-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #91
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Are you guys disappointed with BMWCCA instructors?
Nope, loved mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #92
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
II thought this is a, by & large, M3 enthusiast forum? I mean, am I participating in a discussions thread in www.I-will-soon-be-racing-in-SCCA-series.com and didn't realize it? You hear "race license" and "Senna" being mentioned and gotta wonder am I on the same realm of reality as some of the people in this thread?
If you stick around long enough in this hobby, whether you start in a Prius or a Ferrari, you'll end up thinking about going racing at some point. Maybe you'll ultimately reject the idea, but you'll think about it. It's a slippery slope once you get started tracking your street car.

As for "Senna," that was in response to someone who mentioned "great drivers."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #93
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I tend to use MDM a lot

whenever I turn DSC off, I am off throttle and "scared"

Then again, I've lost "trust" in my car over the last couple of months...and local members do know why... so it's hard to turn DSC off and drive "fast' when I can't trust my car. Thus, I use MDM and do what I can to enjoy myself
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #94
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

did you catch your car with another man?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #95
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #96
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
...and you thought username11 says some funny sh!t
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #97
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I was a BMW high performance chief instructor for 6 years and you seem from my understanding to be relatively new at tracking your car? First go with someone as experianced as you can find and learn a track firstly the track layout then the racing lines and ask him to drive slow so you can take it in not fear for your live. Ask him to show you the braking points and increasing his speed to show braking and gear selection. Drive with your DSC on and increase your lap times gradually and try not to activate DSC. if you can lap fast without DSC interfearring to much you are smooth! You can activate MDM and try the same. Unless your car control is exeptional I wouldnt turn all DSC off! It is a good idea to go to a scidpan and practice oversteer as much as you can and evaluate yourself on a scale 1-100%. If you are happy try it on a safe place on the dry track where you cannot hit something and lots of runoff space. Remember the secret of good driving is slow in fast out approach in corners. Cornering approach Break, Gear, turnin back on accelerator constant speed, apex, smooth increase in power and straightening steering towards exit point. Hope this helps a bit. Safe motoring and Enjoy your ///M I adore mine
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #98
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I had my first major pucker moment couple weeks ago with traction off in the wet. I had been running well and smooth for the morning with MDM and decidied to try full off which I don't usually do in the wet. I got pretty far out of shape caught it and snapped the other way caught it and continued on but decided MDM in the wet at least for now. In the dry no issues with it off.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 05-06-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #99
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I had my first major pucker moment couple weeks ago with traction of in the wet. I had been running well and smooth for the morning with MDM and decidied to try full of which I don't usually do in the wet. I got pretty far out of shape caught it and snapped the other way caught it and continued on but decided MDM in the wet at least for now. In the dry no issues with it off.
Agreed

I was a DSC off all the time guy until I had a mishap in the wet . The M3 can really bite in wet conditions. So now, when it is wet, it's MDM .
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #100
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
I had my first major pucker moment couple weeks ago with traction of in the wet. I had been running well and smooth for the morning with MDM and decidied to try full of which I don't usually do in the wet. I got pretty far out of shape caught it and snapped the other way caught it and continued on but decided MDM in the wet at least for now. In the dry no issues with it off.
Agree. Saving a spin only to spin the other direction sucks, I've done it. MDM is going to be on anytime I'm on a wet track. I also think it matters what kind of tires you run. If you're on slicks you don't want much slip angle anyway and MDM shouldn't annoy you. PS2's on the other hand, like to slide.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #101
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

part of my issue was i was running on my ad08s which are slightly heat cycled out i think making them very hard to handle in the wet. if on my ps2s i think it would have been easier to control.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #102
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
part of my issue was i was running on my ad08s which are slightly heat cycled out i think making them very hard to handle in the wet. if on my ps2s i think it would have been easier to control.
Are you sure they weren't just worn too much to be effective in the rain? True street tires shouldn't heat cycle much if at all. Even NT01 and other tweener r comps barely heat cycle. R6's and slicks heat cycle bad though. Most people find that NT01/RA1 compound actually gets grippier as they wear, even with additional heat cycles. A little OT to this discussion I guess.

I used to run RA1's to the cords and never noticed a drop in grip.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #103
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

i have actually noticed an increase in grip in the dry but was told that the most noticeable place to pick up on the heat cycling is the wet as the tire is cold and hard and will be even less effective. probably just me trying to rationalize my spin. couldnt be driver error! i have 9 days on my ad08s and still have a lot left which is pretty good wear. i rotate side to side and front to rear every couple days to maximize wear.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #104
Porschefile
Major
Rep

No worries, mine was definitely driver error. Trying to go GT-R speed through T4 at CMP in my E36 to catch the GT-R in front of me ended up with lots of sand in my car. Trying to decide between AD08 or a r comp for my track setup, I'm leaning toward R888 295/265. Maybe I'm just not used to the handling characteristics of a high power RWD, but it has power on oversteer as it is with staggered setup and about neutral balance otherwise. Not sure I want 275 square, it would be a drift machine on corner exits.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #105
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

most of that depends how you drive. you can adapt to suit the set up you have. i want a set of rcomps for my next set but i have to say driving to and from the track on the ad08s and getting such great wear out of them is very nice. i tend to over cook my entrance speeds at times and get a push even with the square set up. only time im really noticing oversteer is exits in the wet, otherwise i can be smooth enough to put the power down without rotation of the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #106
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
No worries, mine was definitely driver error. Trying to go GT-R speed through T4 at CMP in my E36 to catch the GT-R in front of me ended up with lots of sand in my car. Trying to decide between AD08 or a r comp for my track setup, I'm leaning toward R888 295/265. Maybe I'm just not used to the handling characteristics of a high power RWD, but it has power on oversteer as it is with staggered setup and about neutral balance otherwise. Not sure I want 275 square, it would be a drift machine on corner exits.
Definitely not. A square set-up makes the car nice and neutral by removing the annoying M3 understeer. This without making it more tail happy than it is .

You still have plenty of traction when powering out of corners .
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #107
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Definitely not. A square set-up makes the car nice and neutral by removing the annoying M3 understeer. This without making it more tail happy than it is .

You still have plenty of traction when powering out of corners .
I agree with this completely. Running 275 all around doesn't make the rear tail happy at all. All it does is increase front grip, and don't forget at 275, you're still wider than stock (for non-competition package), so you've got lot's of grip.

I also think that if you're considering driving with traction control off, the best time to try it is in the wet. I personally think I learned a lot more about throttle and brake control with traction control off in the wet than at any other point being on the track. In the wet, you're generally running slower than in the dry, so mistakes are less likely to cost you. Because the reaction of the car is 'exaggerated' in the wet, you'll learn a lot about car control, different racing lines and learn how to feel the car more. It's also a lot of fun pushing yourself in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #108
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

and scary.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #109
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
and scary.
Yeah, but you've got to learn at some point!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #110
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

hells yeah. every time im in it im a race car driver.

Appreciate 0