BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Radio Annoyance

I only have a small number of radio stations I'm interested in so I always have my radio setup in the 'presets' display. The problem is that everytime I do something else - phone, ipod, nav etc... and then go back to the radio the 'preset' display is gone (ie back to the normal display with all the stations). So then I have to reselect 'preset'. It's getting annoying

Does it work this way for everyone else?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Mine is the same way. I agree, kinda sucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
MMXIII 650i GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 650i GC

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I had the same problem and was frustrated until I figured out a work around.

Use one of the programmable soft keys (1-6 on the dash) to go to presets. This is how I pull up the radio every time now, and it has worked very for me.
Vorsteiner Titanium Cat Back Exhaust // Challenge Sport X-Pipe + HFCs // Monotec T03 Wheels // Powerchip ECU Custom Tune // Rogue Engineering Pulleys // H&R Sport Springs // Macht Schnell Filter // Challenge GT Carbon Lip Spoiler // Vorsteiner Type II Diffuser // AiB Angel Eyes // Matte Black Grille // Matte Black Side Fins // Matte Black M3 badge // All Roundels Blacked Out // Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMIX M3 View Post

Use one of the programmable soft keys (1-6 on the dash) to go to presets. This is how I pull up the radio every time now, and it has worked very for me.
Hey, I thought that only the 'soft keys' could be used to program stations. Can somebody enlighten me? Read the manual cover to cover, and don't remember seeing anything for presets other than those 6 'soft keys', and are not nearly enough for anything. A page of the manual would be great. Hope my '08 has that feature as well.

By the way, can you have presets for sat other than those soft keys? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
richj777
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey, I thought that only the 'soft keys' could be used to program stations. Can somebody enlighten me? Read the manual cover to cover, and don't remember seeing anything for presets other than those 6 'soft keys', and are not nearly enough for anything. A page of the manual would be great. Hope my '08 has that feature as well.

By the way, can you have presets for sat other than those soft keys? Many thanks.
Think of the 6 soft keys as shortcuts to functions inside of I-drive. You can have one switch the navigation to day/night mode. Another one to navigate you home, another to bring up your list of radio presets, etc. I have one to go straight to USB audio. And if you want, you can use any of these 6 to go directly to a radio station, however, your available list of radio presets can be much larger than just 6.
The radio presets is just a screen showing you a list of your up to 40 presets. You highlight the one you want and click. Or use your arrow keys to select up and down from that list. Yes you can have any radio station as a preset. AM/FM, their HD versions, or any satellite station.
Look on page 153 for radio presets and page 20 for I-drive shortcuts.

I haven't been able to figure out how to remove an I-drive preset though. I know I can reassign it, but what if I want it to be unassigned again?
2009 E92 JzB/FR/4MX:ZCW:ZPP:ZTP:752:655:6FL:415
3M 20%:3M clear mask:matte black front and side grilles:SilverVision rear turn signals:reflectors delete:Euro headlight switch, w/o front fog button:6000K LED Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richj777 View Post
Think of the 6 soft keys as shortcuts to functions inside of I-drive. You can have one switch the navigation to day/night mode. Another one to navigate you home, another to bring up your list of radio presets, etc. I have one to go straight to USB audio. And if you want, you can use any of these 6 to go directly to a radio station, however, your available list of radio presets can be much larger than just 6.
The radio presets is just a screen showing you a list of your up to 40 presets. You highlight the one you want and click. Or use your arrow keys to select up and down from that list. Yes you can have any radio station as a preset. AM/FM, their HD versions, or any satellite station.
Look on page 153 for radio presets and page 20 for I-drive shortcuts.

I haven't been able to figure out how to remove an I-drive preset though. I know I can reassign it, but what if I want it to be unassigned again?
I haven't figured that out either... Kind of annoying when things pop up and you don't want them to.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMIX M3 View Post

Wow... that's a great idea! I remember thinking the "Presets" was worthless when I bought the car and completely forgot about them. Just yesterday, I was mildly annoyed that I could only store 6 things, and 3 of them were phone numbers...

Going to the presets page is a great idea
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

I don't even know why they put radios in cars anymore. Does anyone use them anymore? Serious Satellite is the best.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Oh yeah, everyone lives in North America where satellite radio is available...
Appreciate 0