BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #89
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
After spending a day at Porsche's new Driving Experience Centre at Silverstone Race Circuit in the new improved Mk2 Cayman S complete with LSD and PDK I can say that the Cayman is superior to the M3 in every way bar practicality.

I have owned Boxsters previously and know how good they were but this new Cayman is an altogether different animal and PDK on the track is a revelation, even in auto mode.

I feel strongly enough to say that outside of possibly a F430Scud or GT3RS I can't think of anything that would be more entertaining on the track. Hat of to Porsche for a job well done.
So much for the Cayman not provoking thoughts...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #90
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
I have driven numerous cars on the track and in my opinion the new Cayman S, especially when equipped with LSD is up there it the best of them. No it's not of the caliber of the Scuderia or GT3RS among some others but it's definitely better than the M3.

The course that Porsche has developed at their Silverstone centre is like the best roads of the world rolled into one, it might be flattering the Cayman better than I expected but the tester did admit that the Cayman S is better here than all other Porsche bar the GT3RS.
After reading a local newspaper car article that the Cayman S now has PDK AND LSD I knew it would be an amazing car for the track. im really not surprised at all about your review.

As far as practicality ... Im 100% in agreement. There are SOoo many great fast ,fun track cars available to those willing to sacrifice back seats. I , unfortunately , need the added 2 seats even though it is not my daily driver.

If I were in the market for an affordable 2 seater I would have definately picked the new Cayman S.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #91
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
After spending a day at Porsche's new Driving Experience Centre at Silverstone Race Circuit in the new improved Mk2 Cayman S complete with LSD and PDK I can say that the Cayman is superior to the M3 in every way bar practicality.

I have owned Boxsters previously and know how good they were but this new Cayman is an altogether different animal and PDK on the track is a revelation, even in auto mode.

I feel strongly enough to say that outside of possibly a F430Scud or GT3RS I can't think of anything that would be more entertaining on the track. Hat of to Porsche for a job well done.
As a former Cayman owner, and as much as I love the new one, I'd still take a C2S over it. Faster around the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #92
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
As a former Cayman owner, and as much as I love the new one, I'd still take a C2S over it. Faster around the track.
In the right hands, but for the average track enthusiast the Cayman is quite a bit easier to drive near it's limits. It's a very rewarding car. With the 2009's LSD the gap is closing if not gone.
Appreciate 0