BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Car Hotspot LTE Launches in Europe

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Car Hotspot LTE Launches in Europe
COMMENTS
Name:  P90099355.jpg
Views: 17445
Size:  119.8 KB

Munich. The newly launched BMW Car Hotspot LTE is now bringing LTE high-speed mobile internet access to the road. Just like a router in the home, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE provides internet access for mobile client devices. Passengers can enjoy high-speed internet surfing on as many as eight different mobile devices simultaneously. Using the new LTE (Long Term Evolution) wireless technology, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE takes the mobile internet experience to a whole new level. “The very fast bit rates and extremely low latency mean that an internet connection supported by the BMW Car Hotspot LTE is often even faster than a PC connection in the home,” says Markus Dietz, Project Manager BMW Car Hotspot LTE Development.

All that is required apart from the BMW Car Hotspot LTE is an LTE-capable SIM card, which is simply inserted into the hotspot. The first time a mobile device is connected to the BMW Car Hotspot LTE using the mobile device’s WLAN interface, an eight-digit code must be entered. This is a one-off requirement. The procedure is even simpler if the mobile device is equipped with an NFC (Near Field Communication) interface. In this case, the WLAN connection is automatically established simply by briefly placing the NFC-capable device on top of the BMW Car Hotspot LTE. This is the first time NFC functionality has been offered in the car. “‘Plug and play’ is something of an overworked term, but this is the genuine article,” says Markus Dietz. And even if the customer’s device is not NFC-capable, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE also offers WPS (WiFi Protect Setup) as a further easy solution for establishing a WLAN connection. Using this method it is possible to establish a secure connection between the hotspot and a mobile device situated within a range of three metres simply by pressing the hotspot’s “connect” button once and without entering a PIN – an optimal in-car solution.

Suitable for use in – or outside – any vehicle.
The BMW Car Hotspot LTE accessory is designed for optimal operation in any vehicle of the BMW Group equipped with a telephone docking station. The docking station provides the power supply and ensures optimal reception. When placed in the BMW docking station, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE connects to the internet using the vehicle aerial. This means that reception cannot be impaired for example by tinted windows, while also preventing radiation inside the vehicle. But it is also possible to use the BMW LTE Hotspot even without a docking station. In this case, using an optionally available adapter and mini-USB cable, the power is provided by plugging the BMW Car Hotspot LTE into the cigarette lighter. This means the hotspot can be used in any vehicle.

A built-in battery pack means that the BMW Car Hotspot LTE can even be used outside the vehicle. Away from an external power supply – for example on a picnic or inside a holiday apartment – the hotspot can provide internet access for about an hour. The built-in battery can then be recharged in about 30 minutes, either at a power socket or at the docking station. Needless to say, the device can also be operated during charging.

In order to minimise radiation both in and outside the vehicle, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE offers a choice of reception range. The factory-preset range of about three metres is optimised for use inside a vehicle, but if necessary a ten-metre range can be selected, ensuring an optimal WLAN connection both inside and outside the vehicle.

LTE already extensively available.
High-speed internet surfing with LTE requires access to an LTE-capable wireless network. Germany and Europe in general already offer extensive wireless LTE coverage. Particularly in rural areas of Germany, the Federal Network Agency has been doing much to speed the rollout of LTE networks. Germany is expected to offer full LTE network coverage by the end of 2014. If ever LTE is temporarily unavailable, however, the BMW Car Hotspot LTE automatically switches to lower-speed standards such as UMTS or Edge.

Name:  P90099355.jpg
Views: 17445
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  P90099361.jpg
Views: 17072
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  P90099357.jpg
Views: 16748
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  P90099362.jpg
Views: 16822
Size:  280.6 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Very Cool Cant Wait For It To Come Stateside
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Epic. How much is my only question lol?

And, how much for a plan on this thing, we get raped on "Internet" pricing as it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Something tells me the BMW car hotspot will cost an arm and a leg.
      12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

If it comes to US, I don't think it'll be expensive to add on, Probably just a $10-$15 a month charge.
Similar to how MB charges $14 a month to use their MB apps (which is dumb because BMW apps is $250 on time, but thats another topic)

Anyway, i think this is a cool idea, i remember watching the prototypes years back. Its almost here.
      12-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
urbantoken
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT (E92)

Exciting! Another life-improving mobile tech feature the NHTSA will take issue with.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
MrViicc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Epic. How much is my only question lol?

And, how much for a plan on this thing, we get raped on "Internet" pricing as it is.
Yeah we do especially in ontario... it would be really cool but i guess if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the cost
      12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

it's a good guess for me its useless im in the wireless industry and people is always looking for the next phone or tablet that can do all. that hotspot is very limited while your phone or tablet can do everything that thing is expected to do and more.

edit: im not being negative but speaking the truth of what i see people asking everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViicc View Post
Yeah we do especially in ontario... it would be really cool but i guess if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the cost

Last edited by bmwaddict; 12-29-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
If it comes to US, I don't think it'll be expensive to add on, Probably just a $10-$15 a month charge.
Similar to how MB charges $14 a month to use their MB apps (which is dumb because BMW apps is $250 on time, but thats another topic)

Anyway, i think this is a cool idea, i remember watching the prototypes years back. Its almost here.
Don't know how BMW Connect/Apps works but with this setup, why would BMW charge a monthly fee if you're inserting a SIM that you're providing? All BMW is providing is the hardware unless BMW is also providing the SIM which then it makes sense but reading the release makes it seem like you would be providing the SIM to insert into the LTE hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The new iPhone5 has this feature within the phone.

Just have to activate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc@schnellwerkes.com View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sweet!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't get the point of this. So you can take your BMW to a picnic and still have slow internet via fast lte?
      12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
The new iPhone5 has this feature within the phone.

Just have to activate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc@schnellwerkes.com View Post
The iPhone 4 had this feature pretty early on after one iOS update, if I recall. Always used it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddict View Post
it's a good guess for me its useless im in the wireless industry and people is always looking for the next phone or tablet that can do all. that hotspot is very limited while your phone or tablet can do everything that thing is expected to do and more.

edit: im not being negative but speaking the truth of what i see people asking everyday
+1

What a worthless option being that most new devices already have LTE. The only way I see this being somewhat useful if if you have 3G or WiFi only devices that can take advantage of the hotspot and its faster speeds. Most Android devices and the iPhone 5 have LTE so for the most part this is aimed at a limited audience of users or uneducated ones that "think" they need it.

P.S. Why in the world would you want up to eight different mobile devices simultaneously connected to the hotspot? That just divides the bandwidth up and nearly negates the faster speeds of LTE. smh
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Now I can post here and drive at the same time, Yay!
      12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
The iPhone 4 had this feature pretty early on after one iOS update, if I recall. Always used it.
iPhone 4 or 4S do not support real 4G aka LTE. Only the iPhone 5 does. If your 4/S says 4G it's a lying to you and actually doing "enhanced 3G". Google it and you'll see it's just marketing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

I've had this as a no-cost option on my cell phone for a while now. And, I live in the states.

I don't like how automakers are trying hard to sell cars by increasing the number of peripheral gadgets they have, much the same way handset manufacturers are. It lends an ephemeral nature to the car that even cell phones shouldn't have. Keep a car for 5 years and it's electronics become dated and are often no longer supported/don't work. The chassis, engine and interior, on the other hand, should be of near-new quality, if the car was taken care of.

A novel feature but, not something I'd ever buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
iPhone 4 or 4S do not support real 4G aka LTE. Only the iPhone 5 does. If your 4/S says 4G it's a lying to you and actually doing "enhanced 3G". Google it and you'll see it's just marketing.
The salient feature here is that the car can behave as a mobile hotspot, not that the car has LTE capabilities, honestly. And so, what Blayne is trying to say is that he has been able to use his iphone as a mobile hotspot for a while now, the only difference between the car and his phone being that the car has a faster mobile connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
This is Awesome news !!!

But, i do always get a feeling that ATT is going to cock block this wonderful technological advancement.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
felicitero
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Now I can post here and drive at the same time
      12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Cool; however watch the battery drain fast.
Appreciate 0