BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
LimiTed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow

Is every fox red interior a different color?

New owner here. Picked up my car a little less than a month ago from Steve Thomas BMW. Great buying experience and I would like to thank GOLFFRR, Ryan, and the team over there for everything. The car did however have a manufacturing defect in the extended leather. I don't live close enough to take it back so I went to a local dealer where we get our other cars serviced. They had a BMW rep come out and check the defect and agree that it isn't normal. Now the dealer said they could have an upolstery guy come out and try to fix the dash and that's what I should do. The other option would be to get a new piece, however they say that if I do, there's a chance that it won't match because the leather for the car is dyed all at once and replacement pieces are different colors. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I'm not too thrilled that I paid for an option that with either route probably won't look right. Shelling out 75k for a car, I would expect that it would be their responsibility to make sure that the end product is as promised. The dealer is going to call me back when they can schedule their interior guy. Im wondering if this is BS so that they don't have to order a new part? Thanks in advance for any input/advice
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimiTed
New owner here. Picked up my car a little less than a month ago from Steve Thomas BMW. Great buying experience and I would like to thank GOLFFRR, Ryan, and the team over there for everything. The car did however have a manufacturing defect in the extended leather. I don't live close enough to take it back so I went to a local dealer where we get our other cars serviced. They had a BMW rep come out and check the defect and agree that it isn't normal. Now the dealer said they could have an upolstery guy come out and try to fix the dash and that's what I should do. The other option would be to get a new piece, however they say that if I do, there's a chance that it won't match because the leather for the car is dyed all at once and replacement pieces are different colors. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I'm not too thrilled that I paid for an option that with either route probably won't look right. Shelling out 75k for a car, I would expect that it would be their responsibility to make sure that the end product is as promised. The dealer is going to call me back when they can schedule their interior guy. Im wondering if this is BS so that they don't have to order a new part? Thanks in advance for any input/advice
I have a Fox Red interior and just had my center armrest replaced under warranty. It does look a little bit different. Nobody but me will notice though. Also I attribute some of it to the fact it has never seen any leather conditioner like the rest of the seats. It's mostly more dull looking so next time I treat the leather it might blend more. I guess in your case it depends on how bad the defect is you mention.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

any photo?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

BMW's explanation sounds reasonable. I've had a leather guy correct problems on my cars over the years, and they can do a flawless job. The first time I used one for a problem with my Porsche produced amazing results.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
iamcpap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

If it were me, I would get the piece replaced and if it didn't match to your liking upon arrival, have the leather guy come out. No harm in trying both routes...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

If you need anything from us just let Ryan or myself know and we will take care of it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
rbk1115
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
LimiTed,

I had both front seat covers (where your back rests) replaced under warranty as there was a defect in the stitching in the same spot on both seats. My car is a MY2009 (purchased 3/2009) with Fox Red Leather and this work was done in December of 2010. My car only had about 9500 miles at the time, has tinted windows all around, and is always garaged. Thus, the amount of color fading in the leather, if any, is quite minimal. The BMW Rep came and approved the warranty work. There was no talk of color mismatch, etc. BMW of San Diego replaced the seat covers and from what I could tell, there was no difference in color from the seat bottom and the new seat back for each side. I had a couple of other people look as well and they could not tell. In addition to the seat cover replacements, they installed the seat stowbacks with the storage nets. Sedans don't come with these nets. It was a win/win situation and things have been great since. Good luck!

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I get it replaced if I were to find myself in your shoes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I'd let them try to fix it with the understanding that if it's not to your approval, they order the new part.

With it being the dash and not next to the seats, if there is a slight difference nobody would notice. I suspect the rep is telling you that to scare you a bit so that you'll go along with the repair route as that's obviously cheaper for them.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Return the car. Get a new one. You received a defective good that can't properly be remedied.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Yes, what they're saying is true and applies to several dyed materials. That's why people refer to getting things that were "dyed from the same lot" because variances in the material or more likely the composition of the dye can always introduce slight differences in the final color. This happens a lot with fabrics as well so you might find people talking about that in terms of curtains, napkins, etc.

That said though, Fox Red has nowhere NEAR the level of variance you find in online pictures; that's just different cameras under different lighting, and only a tiny percentage of them reflect its true color. For some reason Fox Red is very difficult to capture well on camera.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksflatlander View Post
I'd let them try to fix it with the understanding that if it's not to your approval, they order the new part.

With it being the dash and not next to the seats, if there is a slight difference nobody would notice. I suspect the rep is telling you that to scare you a bit so that you'll go along with the repair route as that's obviously cheaper for them.
This^
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Kavrocks
Rep
Drives: toyoto

My car only had about 9500 miles at the time, has tinted windows all around, and is always garaged. Thus, the amount of color fading in the leather, if any, is quite minimal. The BMW Rep came and approved the warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksflatlander View Post

I agree for the most part.

As far as what's more costly, it doesn't matter for the dealer as this will be a warranty coverage item.
Appreciate 0