BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

11-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
My guess would be the songs that are on itunes match are AAC
Not mp3
Or at least the ones it did manage to match
And I since the iPhone is hooked up via USB, you cant transfer audio via USB
In the case of mp3s
The decoding of the song is down in the car, not in the iPhone
      11-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
My guess would be the songs that are on itunes match are AAC
Not mp3
Or at least the ones it did manage to match
And I since the iPhone is hooked up via USB, you cant transfer audio via USB
In the case of mp3s
The decoding of the song is down in the car, not in the iPhone
The combox should be compatible with un-DRMed AAC / MPA files, however in the case of the iPhone I believe that the music is playing off the device and the audio data is being traferred through the Apple USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #25
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

The problem is that iTunes match cloud tracks are not visible using the BMW interface. At least not through the regular interface. Can't try plugin. Someone should. I figured they would be visible at least using plugin.

Note match doesn't stream songs to the iPhone. It downloads them, so they become local. During downloading they can be played. Once they become local of course then they are visible to the standard BMW interface.

Match has a lot of potential but the match algorithms still need work. Its easy to get a complete mess with your library.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
The problem is that iTunes match cloud tracks are not visible using the BMW interface. At least not through the regular interface. Can't try plugin. Someone should. I figured they would be visible at least using plugin.

Note match doesn't stream songs to the iPhone. It downloads them, so they become local. During downloading they can be played. Once they become local of course then they are visible to the standard BMW interface.

Match has a lot of potential but the match algorithms still need work. Its easy to get a complete mess with your library.
I'm able to see my match songs through the regular interface, but selecting them doesn't work. It may work through plugin, but I haven't figured out how to use that feature yet. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
I'm able to see my match songs through the regular interface, but selecting them doesn't work. It may work through plugin, but I haven't figured out how to use that feature yet. lol
Really ? I see nothing other than just local songs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #28
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really ? I see nothing other than just local songs.
Are you sure match is enabled in your iPhone music settings? When I enabled it, there was a warning that all local songs would be deleted. I tested this by looking for songs that I just bought and hadn't synced and with songs that I used to have local but didn't replay since iTunes match cleared my local songs. In my case, I can see both, but neither will play.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #29
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure match is enabled in your iPhone music settings? When I enabled it, there was a warning that all local songs would be deleted. I tested this by looking for songs that I just bought and hadn't synced and with songs that I used to have local but didn't replay since iTunes match cleared my local songs. In my case, I can see both, but neither will play.
Yes. On the iPhone itself I see cloud songs with a little iCloud icon next to them.

These will not be displayed on the car interface (for me at least) - 2012 CIC and combox with relatively the latest software, iPhone 4s with 5.0.1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #30
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

So, I tried it but no luck as well. Just what's directly on the iphone itself. Not a problem though, as with MOG, for $10/ I can stream and download any song I want, and the user interface is awesome through iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
mc2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mini Cooper

I have a similar problem with using my iPhone (post iTunes Match enabling) with the iPod interface on my 2009 Cooper. I couldn't find any other info online, so I ended up here.

Before enabling iTunes Match, everything worked fine.

Now:

I can see local content on the Cooper display (Okay).
I cannot see cloud content on the display (Fine).
More often than not, when I select local content to play, the system appears to be trying to play the content for a few seconds, then gives up and bounces over to the CD player.
In general, I find that my iPhone is a little slower at accessing even local content, even when not connected to my car. So, I wonder if part of the problem is that the stereo isn't receiving a signal back from the iPhone in time and interprets that as an issue, and bails on the action.

This is frustrating that the current firmware doesn't work with Apple's most current software.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #32
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Hopefully we can figure something out but I have a feeling the problem is software. The big question is who's software is at fault? We either need a BMW update, apple update, or both? I wonder if other companies (Lexus, ford, etc) are having the same issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2009 View Post
I have a similar problem with using my iPhone (post iTunes Match enabling) with the iPod interface on my 2009 Cooper. I couldn't find any other info online, so I ended up here.

Before enabling iTunes Match, everything worked fine.

Now:

I can see local content on the Cooper display (Okay).
I cannot see cloud content on the display (Fine).
More often than not, when I select local content to play, the system appears to be trying to play the content for a few seconds, then gives up and bounces over to the CD player.
In general, I find that my iPhone is a little slower at accessing even local content, even when not connected to my car. So, I wonder if part of the problem is that the stereo isn't receiving a signal back from the iPhone in time and interprets that as an issue, and bails on the action.

This is frustrating that the current firmware doesn't work with Apple's most current software.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #33
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

After more experimentation today, it appears that I was wrong on a number of points. I also learned some new stuff.

1. It appears that enabling Match didn't actually cause my entire music collection to delete, despite saying so. So I actually still have my "old" song list on my device.

2. With that in mind, the searchable list that we see in iDrive actually shows the songs on the device, not songs in the cloud.

3. iDrive works fine with the songs on the device.

4. It cannot download stuff off of iCloud (can't even see them or list them)

5. There appears to be a bug with the cover art which is why I didn't think things were working until I started trying to play songs that I'm more familiar with. It appears that the cover art sometimes does not update to reflect the current artist playing, so you see the cover from one thing, but hear the song from another.

It would be really cool if Apple could somehow update the iPhone to truly stream from iCloud... or, at least, to download songs from iCloud on the fly (that's not the same as streaming) when requested through an external interface (like iDrive).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #34
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
After more experimentation today, it appears that I was wrong on a number of points. I also learned some new stuff.

1. It appears that enabling Match didn't actually cause my entire music collection to delete, despite saying so. So I actually still have my "old" song list on my device.

2. With that in mind, the searchable list that we see in iDrive actually shows the songs on the device, not songs in the cloud.

3. iDrive works fine with the songs on the device.

4. It cannot download stuff off of iCloud (can't even see them or list them)

5. There appears to be a bug with the cover art which is why I didn't think things were working until I started trying to play songs that I'm more familiar with. It appears that the cover art sometimes does not update to reflect the current artist playing, so you see the cover from one thing, but hear the song from another.

It would be really cool if Apple could somehow update the iPhone to truly stream from iCloud... or, at least, to download songs from iCloud on the fly (that's not the same as streaming) when requested through an external interface (like iDrive).
So in a nutshell you're saying that only media on the idevice will work, no streaming from icloud?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
So in a nutshell you're saying that only media on the idevice will work, no streaming from icloud?
Yep, basically all is the same as it was, can't use iCloud, cover art may not be correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #36
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, basically all is the same as it was, can't use iCloud, cover art may not be correct.
Gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #37
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad were all on the same page !
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #38
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Also posted this in another thread but probably relevant here:

Just a heads up. I've found in some instances when iTunes match is enabled on the phone, the car will not recognize the phone when plugged in ... Cradle or cable ! Restoring the phone and ensuring iTunes match is off has fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #39
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also posted this in another thread but probably relevant here:

Just a heads up. I've found in some instances when iTunes match is enabled on the phone, the car will not recognize the phone when plugged in ... Cradle or cable ! Restoring the phone and ensuring iTunes match is off has fixed the issue.
I had one instance where the phone wasn't recognized, but I can't remember if I had Match on or off at that time. At that time, I fixed the problem by ejecting the phone from the cradle and plugging it back in.

I think what I did was plug the phone into the car and start the Pandora app (or was it the BMW Connect app?), then start the car. Need more experimentation! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #40
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
So what's the point of Match?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #41
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
So what's the point of Match?
So you can load your entire iTunes library "in the cloud" and pull down any individual songs/albums whenever you'd like. On a road trip, for example.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #42
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So you can load your entire iTunes library "in the cloud" and pull down any individual songs/albums whenever you'd like. On a road trip, for example.
Yeah but it appears that Match won't work on our cars. So is this more for iphone/ipad/itouch people who are just using those devices to hear their music?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #43
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Yeah but it appears that Match won't work on our cars. So is this more for iphone/ipad/itouch people who are just using those devices to hear their music?
Match is not going to work/be used from the iDrive screen. You'd have to use the iPhone to download one of your Match tracks/albums from the cloud, and save it locally to the device. It doesn't "stream" from the cloud, it needs to be put on your device from the cloud, before you plug it into the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #44
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Match is not going to work/be used from the iDrive screen. You'd have to use the iPhone to download one of your Match tracks/albums from the cloud, and save it locally to the device. It doesn't "stream" from the cloud, it needs to be put on your device from the cloud, before you plug it into the iDrive.
Oh ok. Seems like a hassle if your idevice had enough room for your music.
Appreciate 0