BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Hyundai vs GM

As this is a BMW forum, I figured I'd post this here to get some more impartial reactions. Own a 135i, love it, different class than hyundai or domestic, so please don't enter BMW into this equation....please .

Sick of having some retarded friends and would like some affirmation that I, myself, am not retarded.

Hyundai>GM, yes? (general over-arching statement for sedans only)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Would this be comparing a Sonata vs. a Malibu for example? I haven't driven the newest versions of these models, but I'd at least have to give the styling to Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Would this be comparing a Sonata vs. a Malibu for example? I haven't driven the newest versions of these models, but I'd at least have to give the styling to Hyundai.
yep, comparing any of the 'equivalents'.

Also I should note, I'm not comparing just the 'out of the box', I'm comparing longevity, etc etc. Owned enough GMs and Hyundais, that after 50k miles, Hyunda wins every single solitary time.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Hyundai econo/commuter cars seem to beat GM equivalents in every category that matters; reliability, quality, customer satisfaction, etc.

Hyundai's SUV

At the top end though, GM makes cars like the Z06, and CTS-V. Hyundai doesn't even have a comparable car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Hyundai econo/commuter cars seem to beat GM equivalents in every category that matters; reliability, quality, customer satisfaction, etc.

Hyundai's SUV

At the top end though, GM makes cars like the Z06, and CTS-V. Hyundai doesn't even have a comparable car.
right 100% agreed, why I'm sticking with sedan comparisons. I'm a vette boy at heart, so I won't even attempt to enter that world I know Hyundai will lose and will always lose to that
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:

Hyundai's SUV

+1

the GM sedans are just horrible IMO.
      09-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Hyundai is much smaller than GM when it comes to the product. GM produces the likes of the Corvette & CTS-V.. Did I say CTS-V? Amazing machines..

GM> Hyundai
      09-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Hyundai is much smaller than GM when it comes to the product. GM produces the likes of the Corvette & CTS-V.. Did I say CTS-V? Amazing machines..

GM> Hyundai
I accept your opinion...however you're also stating this given my premise stated above.... of a 'normal' 4 door sedan.

With this in mind, please give me a GM 4 door sedan that is better than its hyundai counterpart? I fully appreciate the 'V' cars, and love the vette, but that's just silly to enter these cars into the comparison, as they're just a different league.

(again remember we're not comparing super end cars, there has to BE a comparison, to have a comparison)...there has to be something to cross shop for.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

If the G8 was still around, I would take a G8 GT over the Genesis.

I haven't driven the new Sonata, but I like my Saturn Aura XR( same car as the Malibu). It has been relatively problem free( a few TSB's since mine was first model year early production. Worst thing about the car has been the tires, but not GM's fault).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
If the G8 was still around, I would take a G8 GT over the Genesis.

I haven't driven the new Sonata, but I like my Saturn Aura XR( same car as the Malibu). It has been relatively problem free( a few TSB's since mine was first model year early production. Worst thing about the car has been the tires, but not GM's fault).

saturn was REALLY turning around when they axed 'em....still pisses me off to this day.

likewise with the G8.

I actually enjoyed this post because it actually 100% exemplifies why I can't stand GM. You noted 2 cars that are good, solid cars, that could debateably be above the competition....but GM axed their entire brands, and the cars that made them above the rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I accept your opinion...however you're also stating this given my premise stated above.... of a 'normal' 4 door sedan.

With this in mind, please give me a GM 4 door sedan that is better than its hyundai counterpart? I fully appreciate the 'V' cars, and love the vette, but that's just silly to enter these cars into the comparison, as they're just a different league.

(again remember we're not comparing super end cars, there has to BE a comparison, to have a comparison)...there has to be something to cross shop for.
The Genesis is an excellent car. Nothing from GM matches it in power, feature content, and drive configuration for the money.

The Sonata may face some stiff competion from Buick with the introduction of the new Regal.
      09-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The Sonata may face some stiff competion from Buick with the introduction of the new Regal.

In theory, I'd like to agree with you...but I can't.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...the-specs.html

I fail to see a single area where the sonata may 'lose'. slower, heavier, less leg room, less headroom, more money, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
right 100% agreed, why I'm sticking with sedan comparisons. I'm a vette boy at heart, so I won't even attempt to enter that world I know Hyundai will lose and will always lose to that
Yeah the Z06 and ZR1 are great cars. The CTS-V is great. I would've gotten all of them, but they didn't have great gas mileage and the interiors are made of plastic legos, so I went with a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the Z06 and ZR1 are great cars. The CTS-V is great. I would've gotten all of them, but they didn't have great gas mileage and the interiors are made of plastic legos, so I went with a 335i.
this brings up a good point actually... the one thing GM does *right* is performance engines. Something that Hyundai is drastically behind with.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
If anyone should be woried about Hyundai it is Lexus more so than GM.. Check out the Insideline review of the twins.... Equus vs. LS460

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...460-sport.html

09-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I think GM is starting to put out much improved and better products. The current Cobalt and Malibu don't compete with the Elantra or Sonata. But I think the new Cruze is gorgeous inside and out, and it seems to have a lot of high tech and refinement for it's price point. I also think the new Buick Regal is an amazing looking car and it starts right in the middle of the Sonata's price range.

There are a few things that Hyundai has done with the styling that really turn me off. The new Sonata for instance is a great looking car, but that piece of chrome running all the way along the fender to the headlight pisses me off for some reason. I really hate it. I actually think KIA is making better products than Hyundai. The new Optima looks better to me than the Sonata, has a nicer interior, and gives you more features (UVO, a cooled driver seat). Same goes for the new Sportage vs. the Tuscon. Lets not forget the Sorrento is much nicer than the ugly facelift they did to the Santa Fe. The problem is KIA has a shitty dealer experience (sleazy salesmen and marketing) so I don't know if I could overcome that and actually purchase a KIA.
      09-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
saturn was REALLY turning around when they axed 'em....still pisses me off to this day.

likewise with the G8.

I actually enjoyed this post because it actually 100% exemplifies why I can't stand GM. You noted 2 cars that are good, solid cars, that could debateably be above the competition....but GM axed their entire brands, and the cars that made them above the rest.
Besides the G8, Solstice, Astra, and Sky, Saturn and Pontiac didn't offer anything that Chevy didn't.

The G8 and Astra are being rectified. I have heard the Commodore will be coming back as a Chevy in 2013 or so I believe. Buick's compact sedan will be based on the Astra. And we know the Insignia was brought over as the Regal( was going to be next-gen Aura).

As pointed out, my Aura is the same exact car as the Malibu. So if you're going to say the Aura is a solid car, you have to say the Malibu is one as well. Now as I said, I don't know how it stacks up against the new Sonata as I haven't checked a new one out yet, but on paper it seems to be better( simply by going off the fuel economy and engines/power). But, that is the industry for you. Back in 2008 when the Malibu came out, it had class leading fuel economy and competitive power. I expect the 2012 Malibu will be better( going on Epsilon II so it will be able to have navigation, dual zone, etc, reports have said four bangers only as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
Quote:
Besides the G8, Solstice, Astra, and Sky, Saturn and Pontiac didn't offer anything that Chevy didn't.

The G8 and Astra are being rectified. I have heard the Commodore will be coming back as a Chevy in 2013 or so I believe. Buick's compact sedan will be based on the Astra. And we know the Insignia was brought over as the Regal( was going to be next-gen Aura).

As pointed out, my Aura is the same exact car as the Malibu. So if you're going to say the Aura is a solid car, you have to say the Malibu is one as well. Now as I said, I don't know how it stacks up against the new Sonata as I haven't checked a new one out yet, but on paper it seems to be better( simply by going off the fuel economy and engines/power). But, that is the industry for you. Back in 2008 when the Malibu came out, it had class leading fuel economy and competitive power. I expect the 2012 Malibu will be better( going on Epsilon II so it will be able to have navigation, dual zone, etc, reports have said four bangers only as well).
The only person on planet Earth that went from a 335 to an Aura is my old buddy Threxx. Threxx is that you?
      09-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
The only person on planet Earth that went from a 335 to an Aura is my old buddy Threxx. Threxx is that you?
The 335xi is my dads car. Aura is mine. I am not completely spoiled as some members here. . Now I do have the privilege to drive it so my "Drives:" title is still accurate.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #20
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:

haha touche good sir, touche.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the Aura was out before the Malibu, thus where I was coming at with that. GM just consistently stays BEHIND the curve with their designs, imo. (I agree with your starting point of the Malibu in 2008, but the price bracket was also significantly steeper if I remember right than the Hyundai Sonata counterpart). Pontiac and Saturn were starting to stay ahead of the curve, then they were axed.

Also you listed 5 of the models that made GM *big* again to the common name person... that was my entire point with that. The Sky/Solstice movement was HUGE, the G8 was well recognized and well respected....
Can you give me a Chevy car that has done the same? Sure the camaro, but it's already losing its steam with that. And I'd hold for the amount of money they had to put into advertising the car, comparatively it didn't hold enough water. While I understand that a lot of the cars were comparable...Pontiac and Saturn were building names for themselves, while Chevy has stayed stagnant to the average, everyday person.

(imo)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Let's look at some recent offerings from both companies, shall we?:

The Chevy Cruse (the car that's supposed to be a cash cow for GM):

And the '11 Kia Optima

Last edited by miktrebla09; 09-08-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #22
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Hyundai/Kia is really amping up the quality and design.

I think the next generation of Genesis will be difficult for anyone to ignore and Kia's new designs are just top notch.

If they refresh the genesis coupe and drop the V8 TAU in there you've got a potential GTR/Vette fighter.