BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

Benvo Tune 1, Dinan Tune 0

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would post my Benvo/BPMSport tune review. I typically don't review products on a forum because opinions are very subjective, but Mike was such a pleasure to deal with and such a stand up guy, I feel he deserves an additional note of recognition. Ultimately the bottom line is that the results were not subjective at all...

Let me start off by saying that I got a chance to drive the car stock, with a Dinan tune and finally with Mike's/BPMSport tune so I think I can comment on the differences between these two modifications. Everyone says after a tune the car "should have come from the factory this way". Well I'm going to do my best to quantify that statement because that statement can be said about all tunes regardless of company.

The Dinan tune does improve the driveability of the car and it does feel "smoother" and a little peppier and I thought the money invested while expensive was justifiable because of the way the car now drives (the whole reason we all bought this car). It was smoother and the transition in the feel of power/torque came on with a more linear feel. Despite just a slight increase in seat of the pants feel, I was comfortable sleeping at night with the expense because of how much smoother/linear the car felt. Well that was before the Benvo/BPMSport tune...

After a decision to have Mike tune my car because he was such a gentleman during the remote coding process, I may have to take back what I said about the Dinan tune. I really don't think with the Benvo/BPMSport tune out in the market that the expense is justified.

Now in reviews others have said "my car now feels like a gorilla being raped". Well, I would change that phrase to saying "my car now feels like a gorilla being raped and ENJOYING IT!" Everything about the car is better after the Benvo/BPMSport tune. The car's slight jerkiness completely smoothed out based on my style of driving (DCT). The car was not only more linear but the mid-range torque between 4-5k was very noticeable (where we spend a lot of our time) and not just slight...and the "enjoyable rape" happens after 5k where the car pulls like a banshee. This is all above and beyond an already tuned car. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like if the car were bone stock.

The low end driveability is much improved...while power is felt very slightly over the Dinan tune, the bucking and jerking virtually diappeared.

Anyone on the fence about doing this mod would be doing themselves a disservice if they decide they didn't care about the power or additional finesse you are adding to the drive of the car. You will enjoy the primary reason you bought the car for ten times over after the tune. With Mike Benvo, not only do I get the experience of an enthusiast that cares about your satisfaction, I get an OBDII cable and the ability to revert the car back to "stock" if there were any issues AND I GET THE 240e software in the bundle. I view that as a tremendous value add over the Dinan.

I don't understand why someone would spend extra money on an option to enhance the comfort or feature of the car but not spend the extra money to have the car drive better than when it left the factory. This mod is cheaper than most options from the factory for the car. Do this over beauty pieces for those on the fence .... I totally get the concerns of those with warranty but if Mike says the tune is transparent and given his knowledge and extensive experience, I believe him and did it.

With the availability of 93 octane tune for areas with that type of gas you can get more timing than a "generic" works all over the country 91 octane tune that I think Dinan uses to be conservative.

I think BMW would live up better to its slogan as the Ultimate Driving Machine after a Benvo/BPMSport tune.

Disclaimer...I have no interest or relationship with Mike other than being happy with his services and product (I know it sounds like he is my son or something). I paid full price for his work and feel that I got a steal at that price. Thank you Mike for your dedication to the sport and your professionalism through the process.

Vin

Last edited by vinniechin; 12-11-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Interestingly, I'm in exactly the same boat. Stock > Dinan stage 1 > Benvo/BPMSport.

Vin's opinions above are very similar to my thoughts, but I will reserve any extensive commentary until I have had a chance to really spend some more time at full throttle above 5 or 6k. The weather in the PNW has been really wet and somewhat cold - it really hasn't stopped raining for the past few weeks (I think Mike doesn't believe me!).

Why did I make the switch? I'm awaiting the arrival and installation of my Turner Test Pipes, and thus I needed a different tune to take care of the CEL. As with Vin, I was really pleased with my coding with Mike, and thus I became a repeat customer.

The BPMSport tune thus far has been great with a smoother and more linear throttle response, lots of great mid-range torque b/w 3-5k, with a much-improved cold-start sequence and driveability. My limited time above 6k thus far has been truly eye-opening, with a sensation of lifting off the road due to the new-found thrust. I can't wait to drive it more, especially once the weather improves, the summer setup goes back on, and the test pipes are installed!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Edmbimmer88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3

OP,

Great write up. Just curious if your car is currently modded?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Not sure what to make of a review that claims a few hp increase = "my car now feels like a gorilla being raped and ENJOYING IT!" How many HP exactly do you gain??? Talk about being/not being subjective......
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

typically the amped up throttle response is responsible for 80 percent of the subective feeling of being "faster" for any naturally aspirated tune. Fact is if you ran them side by side, a stock vs. tuned. Each with HFC xpipe. THere would be zero difference in any tests-rolls from 20-100, ,40-100 etc.

The other 20 percent includes 15 placebo and 5 percent from the extra 8whp.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
typically the amped up throttle response is responsible for 80 percent of the subective feeling of being "faster" for any naturally aspirated tune. Fact is if you ran them side by side, a stock vs. tuned. Each with HFC xpipe. THere would be zero difference in any tests-rolls from 20-100, ,40-100 etc.

The other 20 percent includes 15 placebo and 5 percent from the extra 8whp.
I'm not sure you know fact from fiction.

The throttle response in my software is modified by less than three percent. Sometimes it's not modified at all - it depends on customer request. It's not a placebo effect.

It's a ridiculous statement to say that a properly tuned car will not outperform a stock counterpart with the same modifications. I guess we shouldn't mod our cars since it doesn't do anything.

Based off your threads such as http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779521 I'm inclined to disregard pretty much everything you say. In other threads you were unable to understand the concept of a baseline dyno. You like to compare apples to oranges. If you have factual evidence to support your baseless conclusions, please do share with us.

Edmbimmer88: OP has test pipes.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 12-11-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

OP - My car came with Dinan's D900-40M engine software, installed by the PO. Dinan's web site indicates a 9 HP gain. I've always felt my car is a bit quicker than stock cars I've driven, if only based on my butt dyno. What Dinan tune did you have?
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmbimmer88 View Post
OP,

Great write up. Just curious if your car is currently modded?
Power wise I have a drop in air filter, Dinan pulley and test pipes.

I have a Dinan suspension on the car (stage 3)

and Dinan's 3:45 diff. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I clearly explained the 80 percent. You see enough m3's. Why not take a video of a stock vs a benvo tuned car and do some rolls and races. Show the domination of 2 bus lengths with any tune (sarcasm) I run businesses for a living and if a tune made that much difference than you would quantify it because it would sell like crazy if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I'm not sure you know fact from fiction.

The throttle response in my software is modified by less than three percent. Sometimes it's not modified at all - it depends on customer request. It's not a placebo effect.

It's a ridiculous statement to say that a properly tuned car will not outperform a stock counterpart with the same modifications. I guess we shouldn't mod our cars since it doesn't do anything.

Based off your threads such as http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779521 I'm inclined to disregard pretty much everything you say. In other threads you were unable to understand the concept of a baseline dyno. You like to compare apples to oranges. You mentioned "the other 20 percent" but failed to mention anything about the other 80%... If you have factual evidence to support your baseless conclusions, please do share with us.

Edmbimmer88: OP has test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
Not sure what to make of a review that claims a few hp increase = "my car now feels like a gorilla being raped and ENJOYING IT!" How many HP exactly do you gain??? Talk about being/not being subjective......
I was just quoting what some of the other posters have said and I was elaborating on it or embellishing on the other's statements to be more descriptive. In no way was I implying that my car is now an immensely quicker car. It is noticeable and I enjoy it...the debate about whether there is more power in a tune is no longer subjective to me but in my eyes factual. I hope this clears things up and sorry for the confusion.

This is exactly why I don't like to post reviews...it is difficult to interpret at times and causes animosity. It really ruins it for people looking for just some idea and thoughts about a product. I will refrain from future impressions.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
OP - My car came with Dinan's D900-40M engine software, installed by the PO. Dinan's web site indicates a 9 HP gain. I've always felt my car is a bit quicker than stock cars I've driven, if only based on my butt dyno. What Dinan tune did you have?
I do not know what tune I have...I never checked but I got it recently (Aug 2012). Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
Dinan's web site claims 9 HP gain. Total list price is $799.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
I do not know what tune I have...I never checked but I got it recently (Aug 2012). Sorry.
No worries. Just wondering, to be able to compare notes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Interestingly, I'm in exactly the same boat. Stock > Dinan stage 1 > Benvo/BPMSport.

Vin's opinions above are very similar to my thoughts, but I will reserve any extensive commentary until I have had a chance to really spend some more time at full throttle above 5 or 6k. The weather in the PNW has been really wet and somewhat cold - it really hasn't stopped raining for the past few weeks (I think Mike doesn't believe me!).

Why did I make the switch? I'm awaiting the arrival and installation of my Turner Test Pipes, and thus I needed a different tune to take care of the CEL. As with Vin, I was really pleased with my coding with Mike, and thus I became a repeat customer.

The BPMSport tune thus far has been great with a smoother and more linear throttle response, lots of great mid-range torque b/w 3-5k, with a much-improved cold-start sequence and driveability. My limited time above 6k thus far has been truly eye-opening, with a sensation of lifting off the road due to the new-found thrust. I can't wait to drive it more, especially once the weather improves, the summer setup goes back on, and the test pipes are installed!
You need to stomp on it to really appreciate it...put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and then just floor it at 4k RPM...feels exhilarating - like a different car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

i would luv to see someone do a comparison with dyno graphs on the same car between all the different tunes available. i know that all the tunes are almost the same in terms of power.
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 1
      12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
i would luv to see someone do a compression with dyno graphs on the same car between all the different tunes available. i know that all the tunes are almost the same in terms of power.
Can I ask what is a compression with a dyno graph? Sorry if I'm being dumb, I just never heard of this and want to learn.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Can I ask what is a compression with a dyno graph? Sorry if I'm being dumb, I just never heard of this and want to learn.
typo fixed...
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
This is not the most representative result, but I wish he would post up the dyno. He's been MIA since I tuned the car

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=bpmsport+23

Results from my car:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748613

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin
I think that he means do compression tests on both cars and then dyno them. That way if there are compression differences between the two, it would explain the power output variance. Thus, making it more of an apples to apples comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
I clearly explained the 80 percent. You see enough m3's. Why not take a video of a stock vs a benvo tuned car and do some rolls and races. Show the domination of 2 bus lengths with any tune (sarcasm) I run businesses for a living and if a tune made that much difference than you would quantify it because it would sell like crazy if you did
You're right about the 80% - i over read it.

I don't think 20whp equates to 2 bus lengths of 'domination'.

If you were in CA I'd let you drive my car and then put it back to stock and have you drive it again. The mid-range torque gain is remarkably apparent on cars with mods to HFC's or catless. This isn't a pepsi/coke challenge.

I don't care if you run businesses for a living. I use to do datacenter management for the second largest software company in the world under Microsoft - is that relevant?

The point is that you've said in your previous statements that a tune does nothing for a car, and this couldn't be further from the truth. I guess the owners of the 100+ M3's that I've tuned are crazy..

Glad you are enjoying the tune Vinnie.

Edit: Munit - you are in CA. You tell me when you want to meet and you can see for yourself. You'll have a different opinion afterward.

Appreciate 0