BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

03-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
x838nwy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: nothing right now...

RS5 redux

I thought I posted this, but alas it didn't happen (thread closed). First of all, I have no intention of beating what appears to be a rather dead horse. It's just that quite a few people have dismissed the RS5 as definitely slower than the M3.

What I wanted to say is this:

There's really no way to tell if the RS5 will be slower/faster/same as the M3 and it's merely conjectures at this point.

As food for thought here are some bhp/kg figures (source Autocar mag.)

BMW M3 = 0.25bhp/kg

BMW X6M = 0.23bhp/kg

Nissan GT-R = 0.27bhp/kg

Audi RS6 sedan = 0.29bhp/kg

Audi RS5 (estimate, weight same as S5, power 444bkp) = 0.27bhp/kg

From these numbers, there's no logical reason why the GT-R is as crazy fast as it is while I think we can all agree that the M3 would beat the RS6 around a track. So it's probably best to wait for someone to lap a track in one (RS5) then we can resume discussion.

Like I said before, it would be silly if they (Audi) didn't aim the RS5 development team right at the M3. And since a.) they know what they're doing and b.) the current M3 is getting on a bit and c.) they've taken their sweet-ass time developing the thing, I'd guess it's pretty quick.

But it's just a guess.

C
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Are you certain that you read the entire thread that is now closed?

You say...

"What I wanted to say is this:

There's really no way to tell if the RS5 will be slower/faster/same as the M3 and it's merely conjectures at this point."

That was repeatedly pointed out by various members in the closed thread.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
x838nwy
Private First Class
Rep

Umm... I did read it. There was quite a bit of audi-bashing and general bs'ing about why the rs5 would be slower. And that it can't be any good cos it shares a lot of parts with the S5.

I still feel it's a car which makes a sensible and meaningful comparison against the M3 and more info on it is coming out in bits and pieces everyday. So I feel it is a bit of a shame that the thread was closed just because some people just can't take a fair comparison for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
x838nwy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
Are you certain that you read the entire thread that is now closed?

You say...

"What I wanted to say is this:

There's really no way to tell if the RS5 will be slower/faster/same as the M3 and it's merely conjectures at this point."

That was repeatedly pointed out by various members in the closed thread.

/thread
May be I'm confused, but I never said that sensible and reasonable guesses, thoughts or opinions are invalid or that they are/were/should be the reason(s) that or any other thread was closed.

I am not Southlight so I can't speak for him, but I think the thread was closed because all that was being added to it was crap about why Audi makes horrible cars and so on and so forth.

I have been reading about the diff that is supposed to be in the RS5 and it is quite interesting and I think would make for a good discussion. There are many areas which can be discussed - DSG vs DCT or Ceramic brakes vs the M3's sliding piston etc.

Again, all will be guess work. But these forums are made for things to be discussed. If we keep it sensible, then there's no need for all this $hit, right? Besides, now that there's a 11 minute long video of the RS5, I'm sure it's only a matter of time till a magazine gets hold of it, so I feel a first drive is forthcoming...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
x838nwy,

I think you are wasting your time trying to hold a civil discussion regarding the merits of the RS5 when compared to the M3. Heaven knows I tried.

The argument generally moves all round the place trying to pick faults in the design and execution of the car, be it the awd system used, the placement of the engine, it's weight distribution and how flawed it is, the engine itself, the number of parts shared, the weight, the output, the looks outside, the looks inside, the number of buttons, the colour of the grille, everything has been discussed to show where Audi have failed with this car. In fact the only thing that everyone is in agreement is that the bucket Recaros are better, which amazed me considering how much is wrong with the car in their opinion.

I reckon the only options is to wait and let the stats speak for themselves, at least then it will explain what makes the RS5 special and worthy to be compared to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
x838nwy,

I think you are wasting your time trying to hold a civil discussion regarding the merits of the RS5 when compared to the M3. Heaven knows I tried.

The argument generally moves all round the place trying to pick faults in the design and execution of the car, be it the awd system used, the placement of the engine, it's weight distribution and how flawed it is, the engine itself, the number of parts shared, the weight, the output, the looks outside, the looks inside, the number of buttons, the colour of the grille, everything has been discussed to show where Audi have failed with this car. In fact the only thing that everyone is in agreement is that the bucket Recaros are better, which amazed me considering how much is wrong with the car in their opinion.

I reckon the only options is to wait and let the stats speak for themselves, at least then it will explain what makes the RS5 special and worthy to be compared to the M3.
there is nothing civil about anything you post on here Footie!
You get very defensive anytime someone disagrees with you....you question members intelligence if they disagree....you make statements as if they are FACT and everyone else...their claims are irrelevant, wrong, stupid or fictitious.
You also claim your an enthusiast of fine automobiles and your not an Audi Fanboi.....your act is old....your transparent and no one is buying the shit that you shovel.
You have WAY more information of Audi and Audi products than an average Audi fanboi....you are an Audi employee stirring the shit on a BMW forum....trying to convince members to make a transition over to Audi.
I cant speak for all the BMW owners on here but I can tell you one thing....I would never trade my M3 for an Audi S5 or RS5.....
RWD FTMFW....AWD.....pfffftttt!....no thanks!...I enjoy DRIVING!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
there is nothing civil about anything you post on here Footie!
You get very defensive anytime someone disagrees with you....you question members intelligence if they disagree....you make statements as if they are FACT and everyone else...their claims are irrelevant, wrong, stupid or fictitious.
You also claim your an enthusiast of fine automobiles and your not an Audi Fanboi.....your act is old....your transparent and no one is buying the shit that you shovel.
You have WAY more information of Audi and Audi products than an average Audi fanboi....you are an Audi employee stirring the shit on a BMW forum....trying to convince members to make a transition over to Audi.
I cant speak for all the BMW owners on here but I can tell you one thing....I would never trade my M3 for an Audi S5 or RS5.....
RWD FTMFW....AWD.....pfffftttt!....no thanks!...I enjoy DRIVING!
Wow, try decaf. Really, it's not that serious. This isn't real life, it's the internet. Ever think that maybe the reason why he has so much information is because he lives in europe? Where the car is made and where it will be released long before it comes to the states(if it ever does).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
Wow, try decaf. Really, it's not that serious. This isn't real life, it's the internet. Ever think that maybe the reason why he has so much information is because he lives in europe? Where the car is made and where it will be released long before it comes to the states(if it ever does).
Brits love Audis more than Germans do. The UK even has an Audi TV channel on Sky...essentially a 24/7 Audi infomercial. Not sure which is more pro-Audi? At least you can skip the Audi channel when entertainment. Oh, and please don't confuse England with Europe, especially Germany.

Ultimately I knew as soon as I saw the thread title Footie would soon reappear.
      03-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
There is no denying that Audi is a very popular brand in the UK, but your comments that it isn't popular in Germany is wrong. But frankly I couldn't care less about proving such data because the last time the discussion took a turn like this it needed to be closed so would much prefer to stick with discussing the car itself and leave it at that.

Best just wait till some tests have been conducted and then debate those findings.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Audi is very popular in Germany, i don't know why anyone would say that isn't the case. In fact, after living in that country for twenty years or so, BMW is not as highly regarded in that country as it is everywhere else. All countries have their preferences.
      03-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
.... but your comments that it isn't popular in Germany is wrong. But frankly I couldn't care less about proving such data because the last time the discussion took a turn like this it needed to be closed so would much prefer to stick with discussing the car itself and leave it at that.

Best just wait till some tests have been conducted and then debate those findings.
Why are you mis-quoting? He NEVER said that it isn't popular in Germany. He was just saying it wasn't AS popular as it is in the UK. The only reason your friend South closed the other thread was because you got caught with the one of the most ridiculous assertions I have heard. Attributing poor Audi sales in the US with a desired exculsivity they were trying to achieve. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Ultimately I knew as soon as I saw the thread title Footie would soon reappear.
Makes me wonder how all these threads 'really' get started. I mean how nuetral can one person look if they have a couple dozen Audi vs threads they have started? It's better if SOMEONE ELSE start the Audi thread...
      03-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
^ Just so you know, I haven't started any of the RS5 threads on the 'vs M3' part of the forum. And South is a big boy, I'm sure he closes a thread not to save me face but because the argument has gotten well away from it's original topic.

It just amazes me and amuses in equal measure that you guys are so vocal when I post beyond any other member. Clearly you all value my opinion enough to argue against it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^ Just so you know, I haven't started any of the RS5 threads on the 'vs M3' part of the forum. And South is a big boy, I'm sure he closes a thread not to save me face but because the argument has gotten well away from it's original topic.

It just amazes me and amuses in equal measure that you guys are so vocal when I post beyond any other member. Clearly you all value my opinion enough to argue against it.
no...just trying to shut you up.....I kid!
albeit you may of not started some of these threads...however, you were the major contributor and filled it with all of your Audi propaganda.......and lets not forget all the threads you jacked as well.
If someone started a thread "what is your favorite steak restaurant?"....you will find a way to turn it into an Audi thread....
"....Sirloin is a great cut of beef, but the Audi AWD system is the best!!!!".....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
^ Whatever you say, Foot. You have started THIRTY-THREE Audi/VW threads already, and counting. 27 are Audi specific. Just yesterday you release the UK pricing for the Audi A1. WTF, nobody here cares! You have 3 threads pitting the RS6 against the M5, you already started three RS5 specific threads, really, who do you think you are fooling? The mods need to stop this useless Audi propoganda. If people want this they can search online or go to an Audi forum.

EDIT:
BTW, I would have more respect if an Audi super-fanboi came here and just said, hey I'm an Audi fan and I'm here to challenge you guys to some healthy debate. I would have more respect for that individual. But to say I'm a lover of all cars and clearly be so pro-Audi is like pissing in someone face and then sit there and tell them it's raining...

Last edited by mPlasticDesign; 03-20-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
^ Whatever you say, Foot. You have started THIRTY-THREE Audi/VW threads already, and counting. 27 are Audi specific. Just yesterday you release the UK pricing for the Audi A1. WTF, nobody here cares! You have 3 threads pitting the RS6 against the M5, you already started three RS5 specific threads, really, who do you think you are fooling? The mods need to stop this useless Audi propoganda. If people want this they can search online or go to an Audi forum.

EDIT:
BTW, I would have more respect if an Audi super-fanboi came here and just said, hey I'm an Audi fan and I'm here to challenge you guys to some healthy debate. I would have more respect for that individual. But to say I'm a lover of all cars and clearly be so pro-Audi is like pissing in someone face and then sit there and tell them it's raining...

WOW!!!!.....33 threads!

MAGIC!
+1

Last edited by shiggy; 03-20-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Any chances of showing some maturity and quit with the personal attacks and get back on the subject of the RS5.

Please.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Any chances of showing some maturity and quit with the personal attacks and get back on the subject of the RS5.

Please.
well at least no one on here called you any names or questioned your intelligence Footie....which you have done on SEVERAL occasions...
someone called you out...be man enough to deal with it!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Please.
Look, nobody has attacked you on any personal level. With this post, you have just called us 'immature'. That is personal. Me counting your Audi related threads is merely stating a FACT. I know you would love nothing more than to talk about Audi's on a BMW forum.... so talk. Nobody is stoping you from doing so, but you would rather talk about yourself being such a victim.
      03-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #20
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'm really getting tired of this pointless and personal arguments with and about each other. You guys better learn to avoid each other since you can't seem to get along. I don't care who starts the banter and who "just" reacts. Next time I see you guys derailing a thread by arguing about this again EVERYBODY involved will get an infraction. I'm sorry but you leave me no choice.

Thread CLOSED.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread