BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

EDC and M drive options

i am trying to figure the need for EDC and Mdrive. I don t plan on tracking my car. i was interested in knowing the opinion out there for those who have it and if the settings make such an impact on a daily driver.
also i plan on getting the eibach springs- does that void warranty? i figure the camber should be adjusted too so is the M adjustable or do i need camber plates?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

If you're not going to track your car, then I'd say you don't need the EDC or Mdrive. I have EDC and Mdrive, and for daily driving, I don't use either of those.
      08-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I use EDC all the time.
My problem with E46M3 with upgrade suspensions,
loved them in weekend driving but wish it was soft in long trip or go to work types of driving.
EDC does both really well- softer setting for meaningless driving and sport setting for weekend driving. And any higher parking bump or entrance, I use sport (stiff) setting so car doesn't bounce much so I don't scrape the bottom.

And when you're so used to driving M3 and you feel like it's not fast anymore, hit the M button, it's night and day.

Both are so worth it!

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Are you getting a 6MT or a DCT? If you are getting a DCT, I would recommend getting M-Drive. It allows you to switch gearbox programs instantly, and I use it quite a lot in the street. I usually drive in S3 (which generally uses the synchros instead of doing rev matching when downshifting) but I switch to S5 by pressing the M button when I approach a "fun" corner.

Concerning EDC, I rarely use the "Sport" mode in the street (IMO, it's too stiff for most roads in the DC area), but I use the "Comfort" mode quite often (especially when I have passengers).

These options are definitely not essential, but they do give you more options and make the car more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
red998
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
softer setting for meaningless driving and sport setting for weekend driving. And any higher parking bump or entrance, I use sport (stiff) setting so car doesn't bounce much so I don't scrape the bottom.

And when you're so used to driving M3 and you feel like it's not fast anymore, hit the M button, it's night and day.

Both are so worth it!
is the soft setting that different? i plan on putting eibach's and sometimes the stiff ride becomes difficult on long journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
Are you getting a 6MT or a DCT?

6MT, the modes sound great, buts it hard to really be able to check all the features on a test drive. not to mention the 2 dealers closest to me don t have any M3s when i last checked...

Concerning EDC, I rarely use the "Sport" mode in the street (IMO, it's too stiff for most roads in the DC area), but I use the "Comfort" mode quite often (especially when I have passengers).

These options are definitely not essential, but they do give you more options and make the car more interesting.

If one doesnt have EDC, what is the ride comparable to on a car with EDC? is it soft, normal or sport? i m assuming its normal but just wondering.
How about the need for camber plates when its lowered?
thanks for all your responses so far.
-r
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
red998
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
If you're not going to track your car, then I'd say you don't need the EDC or Mdrive. I have EDC and Mdrive, and for daily driving, I don't use either of those.

which setting do you keep EDC in? i m live in pothole central along with manholes here and there that will coz some serious damage so i think a soft ride would be more comfortable and safer.

-r
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

I think you would ultimately regret not selecting EDC / MDrive. Just in the few days I had my car in Europe, after the initial 'wedding glow' wore off, I started to change settings and drive my car to test them - it was cool. And I only scratched the surface. Others here - even not on track - can likely give more colour.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I have EDC and use it all the time - I drive in, and around, Pittsburgh. Comfort for the city (shitty potholes, etc), normal for most driving on decent roads, and sport for the real perfect roads...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
which setting do you keep EDC in? i m live in pothole central along with manholes here and there that will coz some serious damage so i think a soft ride would be more comfortable and safer.

-r
I keep it in comfort mode. I find that for street driving, comfort is fine. I find that cornering in street driving is fine in comfort mode. That would probably also be best for you as well, given the roads that you're talking about.

If you like to REALLY rip around corners, then you may like EDC. You could temporarily set it to normal or sport, fly around the corners, then soften it up for the potholes.
      08-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

I would say EDC is a MUST!

MDrive I am less sure but as other people noted there are some advantages at being able to recall predefined settings at the push of a button. Overall I felt that the Tech Package was a great value and even if the Nav system is expensive, not as good as a Garmin or Tom Tom and might have to replace one day, at least I do not need to worry about someone breaking into the car to steal it!

I also like the IPod interfacing and the fact that I can see the song titles on the screen.
      08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

EDC is a definite yes. Just to switch from 'comfort' setting in city driving, to say 'sport' setting for windy roads in the county is amazing.

M Drive is great if you have the DCT, so its a question if you want a 6MT or the DCT. Personally, I have the DCT and I think its a blast. As someone else mentioned, there is some much to discover and play around with the car if you have EDC/DCT/M Drive, it always creates excitement in the car.

And pressing the 'm' button when you get to a great, windy road.....priceless.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
-

I think you would ultimately regret not selecting EDC / MDrive. Just in the few days I had my car in Europe, after the initial 'wedding glow' wore off, I started to change settings and drive my car to test them - it was cool. And I only scratched the surface. Others here - even not on track - can likely give more colour.
+1 - I only had the car for a 2 day test drive... but you could definitely feel the difference between the settings. where is my m3!?!?!?!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
red998
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome thanks alot guys. EDC it is then. As for Mdrive...we'll see .
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
is the soft setting that different? i plan on putting eibach's and sometimes the stiff ride becomes difficult on long journey.

If one doesnt have EDC, what is the ride comparable to on a car with EDC? is it soft, normal or sport? i m assuming its normal but just wondering.
How about the need for camber plates when its lowered?
thanks for all your responses so far.
-r
a. I believe No EDC option is in "normal" setting- right in between comfort and sport.

b. It's different enough to make long distance or local street driving not too bad and weekend ride more sportier. To me, it is really worth it.

But if you have any plan to put coilovers, EDC maybe getting in your way.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

My understanding is that EDC in "normal" can range from harder than the "sport" setting to softer than non EDC suspension depending on driving style and conditions.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Get both. This will help your trade in price when it is time to sell.
      08-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #17
Fab_vr6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

what about for someone who wants to modify his car eventually with KW coilovers? EDC is then wasted... I am still deciding whether to get EDC with springs, or KW. PS I track my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #18
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

Both of them are "must" i think. Everday,I use the highway when I am going to work and i like changing vehicle settings through the M-Drive. And when I go to city center the road quality is not as high as like its on the highway and softening the dampers adds a big difference to ride comfort. And another thing which comes with M-Drive is MDM mode which helps you not to crash your car if you're not a much skilled driver (like me ). At least it helped me to save my car because of my fault while I was trying some low speed stunt maneouvres on the exit of a high way curve. Driving that car with DSC OFF becomes dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. And I don't like driving with DSC ON cause it interferes a lot. MDM is the best matched setting with that car. I have 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #19
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

So what does the mdrive actually do? Just make the car feel sportier? Is there an actual power increase?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
SM_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
I adjust the car's EDC and M drive settings frequently when I have passengers...I've gotten used to driving in MDM and w/ the throttle on sport plus. I vary the EDC settings based on road quality... I also put the throttle on normal and the EDC on soft when I have sensitive female passengers on board. Otherwise w/ speed freaks, car friends or by myself I let it rip on smooth road surfaces. These options make the car more versatile in my opinion and allow the E90 M3 Sedan to change it's character.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
GQsOwn
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White/ Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
I would say EDC is a MUST!

MDrive I am less sure but as other people noted there are some advantages at being able to recall predefined settings at the push of a button. Overall I felt that the Tech Package was a great value and even if the Nav system is expensive, not as good as a Garmin or Tom Tom and might have to replace one day, at least I do not need to worry about someone breaking into the car to steal it!

I also like the IPod interfacing and the fact that I can see the song titles on the screen.
I have yet to see a Garmin or Tom Tom better than the Nav in the '09 M3...
The fact the car has an always on feature allows it to look on to your destination instantly... Those portable GPS Unit take too long. They ok if you do it from start and don't need to modify your location ... Plus being able to send Maps from Google Maps to the Car is the best feature it

ECT and M Drive a most. Well worth the price. I have it on my DCT and find myself constantly using it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

EDC is a must, I use it everyday. Comfort for driving with the family, sport when agressive/track. I wouldnt buy one without it. May as well get tech, gives you all the good stuff for $3k.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0