BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
driveslikeagirl
Rep
Drives: '06 Sepang Bronze M Coupe

Red face Importing an '06 Z4 M Coupe from Canada to US

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and just started shopping for a Z4 M Coupe. I may have just found THE ONE. But it's in Toronto, and I'm in California. I've been doing some researching on what it takes to bring cars here, but it sounds like there are a lot of variables and I don't have solid info on the car yet.

Has anyone bought a car in Canada and brought it to CA? Is it a hassle? Is it possible? Is it worth it?

Here are what I think may be some possible scenarios:

1. Photos of the car show that it has a dominant MPH speedo with the KM/H on the inside ring... could it originally be a US car? Or were Z4 M Coupes sold in Canada with that speedo, and with an odometer reading KM? If it WAS originally a US car, there should be no problems bringing it through.

2. Car is originally Canadian and does not comply with CA emissions standards/was not originally built for sale in CA. I'm screwed, can't buy car.

3. Car is originally Canadian but DOES comply with CA emissions standards. Do I need a letter from BMW NA stating that my car complies with federal safety standards, too? I found a post saying that this costs $500, ouch.

Anyway, looking for whatever advice anyone who might've tried or done this can give. This could be the perfect car....

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

According to 1, your car was originaly from the US. Canadian cars only display km/h in the z4m
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Alvine90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

It depends on how much you want the car. Even if it doesn't comply with CA emissions, you could always have it modified to CA spec by a certified shop. We paid $5000 total when we brought a car over from Vancouver in 1999. You may run into problems if the speedo is in km/h.
      10-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
driveslikeagirl
Rep
Drives: '06 Sepang Bronze M Coupe

So the car is originally from the US. The Carfax has a note that says it was registered in New Jersey at one point. But it's been in Canada for at least the last 4 years. There's also an odometer discrepancy from its first year of life! Probably a clerical error though. The car only has 47k km/29k miles.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can get out of paying duties at the border. Since it was built in the US, shouldn't have to, right? I've also read that I might need to prove it's been registered in the US before though. Not sure the owner would've kept the PO's registration records... heh.

If all goes well and I can negotiate the price down some, hoping for a cross-country road trip soon! It's too bad the Canadian $ is stronger than ours right now. This little color whim of mine could end up costing me quite a lot more than if I just bought the Interlagos Blue one only 400 miles away instead...
Appreciate 0