BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Am I ready to upgrade to a square setup?

I would like for seasoned track veterans to offer some help on my decision. I've run through my first set of staggered track tires. I run stock sized PS2s on a staggered 18" VMR setup. My friend has a square (9.5 inch all around) vmr set for sale locally and I am wondering if I should sell my staggered wheels and pick up the square setup for 265 tires all around.

I've done 5 track sessions thus far and intend to do a lot more in the next couple of years. I still have a lot to learn, but figured that a square setup will allow me to rotate tires and provide some neutral handling.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I would like for seasoned track veterans to offer some help on my decision. I've run through my first set of staggered track tires. I run stock sized PS2s on a staggered 18" VMR setup. My friend has a square (9.5 inch all around) vmr set for sale locally and I am wondering if I should sell my staggered wheels and pick up the square setup for 265 tires all around.

I've done 5 track sessions thus far and intend to do a lot more in the next couple of years. I still have a lot to learn, but figured that a square setup will allow me to rotate tires and provide some neutral handling.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yep!Do it and you will not be sorry as it will work a lot better on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
ajvee
Major
Rep

Awesome! thanks for the response.

Ideally I would like to drive on my track setup to the track, so what are your thoughts on a square set of Nitto NT05s to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Awesome! thanks for the response.

Ideally I would like to drive on my track setup to the track, so what are your thoughts on a square set of Nitto NT05s to begin with?
I just mounted up NT05's 275 35 18 on my 18 x 10 @ 25P setup.I ran these last year and got about 12 days out of them.Work much better on warmer days and are not great in the wet.A easy tire to go reasonably quick on.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 05-26-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Get a staggered set but not VMR's. They are too heavy. Much lighter options available at similar costs (Apex 8s). You will be amazed at the difference a lighter wheel makes on the cars performance and handling. Try the Yoko AD08s. Great durable tire for beginners that doesn't cost a ton.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have a square set up as mentioned above. My set is vmr 19x9.5 et 22 with the advan ad08s in 265-30s all around. If I had it to do over again I would spend the extra cash for a lighter weight set of wheels as the vmrs are way to heavy for track use. Love how they lookl but not ideal for track use. Have other threads covering my evaluation and photos of weights of my set up. Ideally I would use advan rs with the advan ad08s. Save 5 lbs a corner on wheel alone. Maybe consider a set of 18s also rather than 19s.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Its always a good time to save money. Be sure that going into it, you do the math on how many tires you'll need to go through before you start saving money.

closeish but not accurate numbers. RS3s are $210 and PS2s are $370:
4x ps2 $1600
4x rs3 $1200

3 sets ps2 $4800
4 sets rs3 $4800

My experience is a track tire is good for 10 days. So, 5 2-day driving schools. Or, 2 schools and 6 autocrosses. 40 days before you're at even money. Not including wheel cost.

Wheel weight is of little value at driving schools. Racing/TT, sure. More important than weight is strength. Wheels bend and crack. Stock wheels are super strong. Replica wheels and known soft wheels are good for what they're good for.

I don't know why you mention the nitto. IMO, all the top tires are so similar in dry weather performance, the only differentiator is price. Choose from the best price you can get on AD08, RS3, StarSpec, RE11. Those other tires aren't in the same category of withstanding track/autocross use as these I mention.

Also consider, the faster the car and driver are, the more expensive things get. All consumables will be used at a greater rate. Tire, brakes, fuel.

Regarding a square setup: it will make the car's dynamics different to your liking. If you're not satisfied with how the car turns, more front tire will put a smile on your face. If that's why you're considering spending money, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
Get a staggered set but not VMR's. They are too heavy. Much lighter options available at similar costs (Apex 8s). You will be amazed at the difference a lighter wheel makes on the cars performance and handling. Try the Yoko AD08s. Great durable tire for beginners that doesn't cost a ton.
I agree that they are heavy, but would the weight make a difference for a beginner such as myself?

My decision may be short sighted, but I may not be out any money to sell my staggered setup for a square setup, which makes this attractive for me. However, at the same time I don't want to find my wheels and tires being a limting factor. Ah the decisions!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Quote:
I agree that they are heavy, but would the weight make a difference for a beginner such as myself?

My decision may be short sighted, but I may not be out any money to sell my staggered setup for a square setup, which makes this attractive for me. However, at the same time I don't want to find my wheels and tires being a limting factor. Ah the decisions!
If you are getting new rims anyway, then this might be the time to convert to 18's if you are going to do a lot of tracking.

They are lighter, 18" tires are cheaper and lighter than 19"s, there are more choices.

the negative is they are not as pretty as 19" in dress up mode.

Of course, you can keep your old set and get 18's for track only ( my choice)

Going square is good for track tires, as you can rotate them to balance wear out.

I have apex 18x10's with 275/35/18 Nitto 01's all around. ( $230 each and sticky as hell).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
ajvee
Major
Rep

As an update, I ended up selling my staggered setup for my friend's square VMR setup with a new set of Michelin Super Sports. I will be running 265s all around.

I am really a novice/intermediate and my track aims are not competitive so I am not sure if I will take advantage of super light wheels.

That said, I cannot wait to try out the Super Sports!
Appreciate 0