BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

UFC...it's on

UFC 66, anyone watch this stuff? Dont ask me who is my fav coz i just want to see good fights.
      01-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I love the UFC, and I'm not the only one. It's a tough but honest sport, and only the best athletes get anywhere.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

i love the UFC and Pride fighting as well. I follow UFC more for the light heavyweight matches, and pride for the heavyweights. So stoked about Quinton Jackson and Cro Cop coming to the UFC. Cro Cop is definitely gonna kick some ass.

and I agree with stewthebassman, those guys have to be in top condition in strength and endurance, and is one of the toughest activities to be participating in.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Yup, I follow both UFC and PrideFC. Rampage and Cro Cop are definitely gonna shake things up. It'll be interesting to see Cro Cop fight in the cage though. He has one of the best takedown defenses in the sport but his sprawl might not be as effective in the cage as it is in the Pride ring. Anyways, for those who are not familiar with these two fighters, here are some videos:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Ricardo Arona:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson highlight:

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs Wanderlei Silva:

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic highlight:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep

I totally agreed with everyone. Both UFC and Pride are tought sport and you really have to be conditioned to last 3 rounds. And the kicker is if you survived that matched, you go on to the next match so there are some strategies involved as well coz you need to have some strenght left to go to the next match.

Did not think e90 drivers was into UFC and Pride. Guess I am not the onely one
      01-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Anyone who looks under the surface of MMA will realize that it is a very complicated Chess Match....imagine if you're a good striker or wrestler and then some skinny kid who can wrap his leg around his neck gets you in some wierd Gracie hold and you tap out like a schoolgirl.....that's why I like it, it's very unpredictable.

I really enjoyed the last TUF, although I wasn't sure Matt Serra won the fight....

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
txusa03
Major General
Rep

There is one submission move that I really like. Both fighters on the floor. One guy has a hold of the other guy's arm stretch out and both his legs are wrapped over your head as he pulls your arm right out of the shoulder join if you dont tap. Dont know the jitsu name of that move. Works everytime. What amazes me is how many japanese fighters there are in Pride. Many are not as big compare to the russians or US or columbia but you cannot really count them out.
      01-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm a big follower of the UFC as well. Not so much the other promotions, but it's mostly due to exposure - I only get the UFC on TV. GSP is my favorite fighter.
      01-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 Dude
Yup, I follow both UFC and PrideFC. Rampage and Cro Cop are definitely gonna shake things up. It'll be interesting to see Cro Cop fight in the cage though. He has one of the best takedown defenses in the sport but his sprawl might not be as effective in the cage as it is in the Pride ring. Anyways, for those who are not familiar with these two fighters, here are some videos:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Ricardo Arona:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson highlight:

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs Wanderlei Silva:

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic highlight:
man, the cro cop and wanderlei silva match was one of the best i've seen. silva was totally dominated and couldnt' stand a chance.

and yeah, you really underestimate the skills and strategy involved. it's not just charging at each other and pounding each other to crap. there was that fight between rich franklin and anderson silva, and rich was touted as predicted winner, with his heavy duty training regiment. but silva came in and got him in the lock hold, and franklin couldn't get out. got his nose pounded and broken. shows you that it's not just punches and kicks that wins the fight.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw
I'm a big follower of the UFC as well. Not so much the other promotions, but it's mostly due to exposure - I only get the UFC on TV. GSP is my favorite fighter.

Go GSP!! Trains in Montreal!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
There is one submission move that I really like. Both fighters on the floor. One guy has a hold of the other guy's arm stretch out and both his legs are wrapped over your head as he pulls your arm right out of the shoulder join if you dont tap. Dont know the jitsu name of that move. Works everytime. What amazes me is how many japanese fighters there are in Pride. Many are not as big compare to the russians or US or columbia but you cannot really count them out.
From your description, you're probably thinking about the armbar which dislocates the elbow, or maybe even a triangle choke.
Armbar:

Triangle Choke:

And I agree with everyones statements about this sport's abundance of skill and strategy. For example, I'm 6'0 195lbs and train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There have been several times that my training partner can control me and submit me even though he is significantly smaller. It is quite humbling being beaten by someone that is 40lbs lighter than you. Tapping to a girl sucks too haha.

And here's the Rich Franklin vs Anderson Silva fight. Anderson Silva previously fought in PrideFC until he came to the UFC and took the Middleweight Title. He used the Muay Thai clinch to control Rich Franklin's head and throw knees at his will. You can see the result of this attack from the video:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Hey E91_Dude, you training for the the UFC? Yeah, the armbar is my fav mov in term of ground attack.

Hey Stew, Let me but this in another perspective for you. You have 3 choices: School girl tab, Pride and let the ref stop the match, or end your career with some major internal injury coz the ref did not realized you were unconscious until too late. If you want to live another day to fight again, school girl tab would be the wise choice. I see dude who has too much pride to tab and they either get knock/choke unconscious and could have lasting internal injury that could end their career.
      01-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope, I'm not training for the UFC but many of the guys in my academy are professional or amateur fighters. I began training because I was a fan of mixed martial arts and wanted to practice it as well as spectate. The perks are that you get into shape and learn some effective techniques to protect yourself if you're ever in a situation that calls for it.

Many BJJ schools allow you to take a free intro classes to help you decide if training is right for you. I did, and I was hooked. I've found that after training, it makes watching the PPVs more enjoyable too!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #14
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I totally agree, and that is the beauty of the sport. I find these guys may be tough but they are also for the most part humble people, in victory and in defeat. I started watching UFC in 1998 and dude it was too brutal then. I really like how Dana White has brought the sport legitimacy.

Did you guys see the dateline or nightline special a month or so ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
Hey E91_Dude, you training for the the UFC? Yeah, the armbar is my fav mov in term of ground attack.

Hey Stew, Let me but this in another perspective for you. You have 3 choices: School girl tab, Pride and let the ref stop the match, or end your career with some major internal injury coz the ref did not realized you were unconscious until too late. If you want to live another day to fight again, school girl tab would be the wise choice. I see dude who has too much pride to tab and they either get knock/choke unconscious and could have lasting internal injury that could end their career.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I totally agree, and that is the beauty of the sport. I find these guys may be tough but they are also for the most part humble people, in victory and in defeat. I started watching UFC in 1998 and dude it was too brutal then. I really like how Dana White has brought the sport legitimacy.

Did you guys see the dateline or nightline special a month or so ago?
I'm not sure if this is the same one you are talking about, but 60 Minutes did a report on MMA a month ago called "Mixed Martial Arts: A New Kind Of Fight".

This is the article from the 60 Minutes website: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2241525.shtml
And here is the video of the feature: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VACRYRRS
Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #16
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Right, of course...60 minutes, I was searching for the wrong show! It was great, I thought, a nice feature.

Bill O'Reilly interviewed Rich Franklin and Dana White on Fox recently and he was an idiot with them.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

mirko should of took that rematch vs fedor, but he backed out... mirko will kill everyone in ufc, he'll be new ufc champ soon
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #18
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
mirko should of took that rematch vs fedor, but he backed out... mirko will kill everyone in ufc, he'll be new ufc champ soon
Yup, I agree that Mirko will dominate in the UFC. Maybe he wanted to leave Pride on a high note after winning the PrideGP Absolute tournament?

Either way, it's hard to say when Fedor will be dethroned. He took some pretty good shots in his last fight with Mark Hunt, but as usual he pulled out the win at the end.
Appreciate 0