BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

which exhaust system offers the biggest gains?

hi,
i am wondering which bolt-on exhaust system offers the best gains?
loud ones excluded, but please post their gains if you know them.
ive been told certain systems offer gains of 15hp, whereas others offer 30hp+...
on a stock car, without any other changes, cats and all that stay in.
My view is that this is the safest way, in terms of warranty, to get more out of your car...correct me if i am wrong.

thks

i was recommended the eisanmann sport, but have heard of gains all over the place, the aa one is also supposed to offer good gains.
i just thought it would be easier to have them all in one thread.

Last edited by niqui; 07-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: scrap this thread i guess...found the sticky. sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

If you want something on the quiet side, yet still gives you good power, then go with the AA signature. The problem is that some members who ordered the AA expected it to be pretty quiet, but it was slightly louder than they expected once it was installed and tried out. But overall, the owners were happy with the sound. In truth, almost any aftermarket high-performance exhaust that you install will at least always be slightly louder than stock. I think the AA would be your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
In most cases differences in power between systems is going to be like splitting hairs. You should go with the system that sounds the best to you because you'll be living with it on your car every day. If you really want to make power I would suggest at least buying a system with connecting pipes. AA is great and not too loud, but it is deep below 3k rpms.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
hi,
i am wondering which bolt-on exhaust system offers the best gains?
loud ones excluded, but please post their gains if you know them.
ive been told certain systems offer gains of 15hp, whereas others offer 30hp+...
on a stock car, without any other changes, cats and all that stay in
My view is that this is the safest way, in terms of warranty, to get more out of your car...correct me if i am wrong.

thks

i was recommended the eisanmann sport, but have heard of gains all over the place, the aa one is also supposed to offer good gains.
i just thought it would be easier to have them all in one thread.
NO ... ZERO...None... NAda... muffler alone offers 30+hp... The 30+HP is going FULL including X-pipe and catless.

For what you want I would recommend the Eisenmann Sport (not the race). I would tell you AA but I never heard mine without the cat so I cant say and others have said they find it loud.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
NO ... ZERO...None... NAda... muffler alone offers 30+hp... The 30+HP is going FULL including X-pipe and catless.

For what you want I would recommend the Eisenmann Sport (not the race). I would tell you AA but I never heard mine without the cat so I cant say and others have said they find it loud.
+1
there's no way you can gain 30 hp with just axle back...

if you dyno your car before and after an axle back swap, i can say for sure that it is unlikely that you will get anything close to 15hp with just an axle back. and anything below 15hp is prob very difficult to feel in terms of acceleration. people change axle backs for sound more than for gains. if you want gains, you'll need to do what m3 montreal has.

btw, isnt this like your 2nd thread you posted on mufflers!! hurry up and decide !! eisenmann sport is a great way to go. you should check out the eisen threads -- it seems like no one has any regrets with that system (except for the fact that some say its too soft).

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
RPi and Gintani -- end thread.

With a full system from either one, expect 20-25whp, and 20-30wtq.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
+1
there's no way you can gain 30 hp with just axle back...

if you dyno your car before and after an axle back swap, i can say for sure that it is unlikely that you will get anything close to 15hp with just an axle back. and anything below 15hp is prob very difficult to feel in terms of acceleration. people change axle backs for sound more than for gains. if you want gains, you'll need to do what m3 montreal has.

btw, isnt this like your 2nd thread you posted on mufflers!! hurry up and decide !! eisenmann sport is a great way to go. you should check out the eisen threads -- it seems like no one has any regrets with that system (except for the fact that some say its too soft).
actually, i was thinking of doing it more for the performance gains than the sound, i dont care about the stock one, it sounds fine to me, so i was changing to give more juice...which clearly is pointless.
i stopped in terms of an exhaust cause i was gonna do the ecu on july 12th with you, but now i think not with all the warranty crap i read, so i thought an exhaust could give me similar gains yet keep my engine warranty.
i dont know, if its mainly for sound, id rather buy the performance steering wheel.

thanks guys.

what exactly does a "full system" include?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Removing your muffler (cut outs) will technically offer you the most opportunity for gains. I doubt there is anything to write home about though. I certainly don't feel any improvements cut-outs open or closed.

IN FACT on the E46 it was proven that the stock mid pipe offered the most power gains when the cats were removed over all other mid pipe designs on the market at the time. BMW is not stupid and unlikely to be leaving HP on the table for the criteria they are designing to.

If you want power gains, get rid of all 4 cats. That is clearly a design constraint that when removed creates a big opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Removing your muffler (cut outs) will technically offer you the most opportunity for gains. I doubt there is anything to write home about though. I certainly don't feel any improvements cut-outs open or closed.

IN FACT on the E46 it was proven that the stock mid pipe offered the most power gains when the cats were removed over all other mid pipe designs on the market at the time. BMW is not stupid and unlikely to be leaving HP on the table for the criteria they are designing to.

If you want power gains, get rid of all 4 cats. That is clearly a design constraint that when removed creates a big opportunity.
thanks, i guess i figured it out, its a waste of money to buy a 3k exhaust if i plan on leaving cats and all that in place, in terms of performance gains.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
thanks, i guess i figured it out, its a waste of money to buy a 3k exhaust if i plan on leaving cats and all that in place, in terms of performance gains.
yeap... you got it right. if youre not doing it for sound and you like the stock sound. dont mod the exhaust!! its not a good place to get extra power. i think for you, the ecu is the best bet in terms of gains.

i have a different set of priorities. for me, i think the car is fast enough. i love sound so i changed the axle back section (going to change it again soon to something else!)... for those people who want the most gains by doing an exhaust mod, they'd have to do more than axle back. they'd have to do header back and prob remove the cats while putting an x-pipe on.

the downside to a full set up? you'd have to get a tune to clear your CEL. or find another way to clear it yourself. or use lamda adapters.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
ECU + Full exhaust = massive gains

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0