BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly and carefully

Power and EDC buttons always on?

Total noob question:

When I start my car the EDC is always on sport and the power button is on. Can I change it so when I start the car the EDC is comfort and the power is off?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

key dependent settings in idrive
      03-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
key dependent settings in idrive
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMotorenWerke View Post
Total noob question:

When I start my car the EDC is always on sport and the power button is on. Can I change it so when I start the car the EDC is comfort and the power is off?
you had a c63 that became a lemon???
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
you had a c63 that became a lemon???
Yup, now I have a E92 M3. I just got it yesterday so I'm having a little trouble working the 5 billion options you have on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Go to the M settings in the Idrive. Pretty easy from there
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
When you're in the M-drive settings go 2 screens to the right for "M Key" settings. Now if I could only get my wife's seat preferences saved in the key (Not that she'll drive it often at all). Mirrors work, but the seat won't take. Maybe she sits too far forward for the car to think it's possible?
      03-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Figured it out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
When you're in the M-drive settings go 2 screens to the right for "M Key" settings. Now if I could only get my wife's seat preferences saved in the key (Not that she'll drive it often at all). Mirrors work, but the seat won't take. Maybe she sits too far forward for the car to think it's possible?
you can select if you want the car to have power mode on all the time and what edc level you want, key dependent settings
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
you can select if you want the car to have power mode on all the time and what edc level you want, key dependent settings
Yeah, I got those set, but the seat preferences for her key don't stick. Mine works fine.
      03-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Yeah, I got those set, but the seat preferences for her key don't stick. Mine works fine.
Do you have her seat setting set to honor the seat position? There are three settings (at least on my non-iDrive cars, and I assume iDrive cars are the same). The first is no seat recall, the second is recall on unlock, and the third is recall on door open. You have to set one of the two latter ones for it to work, and this setting itself is per key.

That all said, I have always found this feature to be buggy/confusing on my BMWs. Sometimes it just doesn't work properly or consistently.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
sgar0777
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW/BLK 6MT

Quote:
This has got to be one of the most irritating things about this car. My wife and I both drive the car, and we frequently have two keys on us. The system really struggles to determine which side of the car the keys are on, and what to do with the seat and mirrors. It is completely weird, and really, really irritating.

The only thing that I have found helps, is that if my wife has approached the car from the passenger side, and I am on the drivers, and we open the door, if the seat does not move to the correct position, we can close the drivers door, wait a second or two, and reopen it. It will usually fix itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgar0777 View Post
This has got to be one of the most irritating things about this car. My wife and I both drive the car, and we frequently have two keys on us. The system really struggles to determine which side of the car the keys are on, and what to do with the seat and mirrors. It is completely weird, and really, really irritating.
I've had the problem in the 335i (M3 doesn't have CA). One thing you can do is just use the fob to open instead, athough that defeats the purpose of CA.

But I've had issues with this not working properly even on non-CA cars, and even on CA cars when I am the only one entering the car. I think the decision tree used by the system is actually much more complex than meets the eye. There is definitely timing involved (when was car last unlocked/opened, and by which key) and I also think that it depends on how the seat was adjusted previous (key setting, memory button, or manually).

Quote:
The only thing that I have found helps, is that if my wife has approached the car from the passenger side, and I am on the drivers, and we open the door, if the seat does not move to the correct position, we can close the drivers door, wait a second or two, and reopen it. It will usually fix itself.
What I do when it doesn't work is just hit the memory button on the seat, which has both my and my wife's settings stored. However, I am pretty sure that even the memory buttons themselves are key dependent, so you have to store each of your settings for each key. And of course, this means you can't have two of your own seat settings saved for your own key.
Appreciate 0