BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Whisky
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

OEM Exhaust Mod + Secondary Cat Delete

Hi all,

So I finally got around to getting the oem exhaust done to my e90 and absolutely love it. Absolutely the best bang for your buck!

Curosity is getting the best of my though...so my question is has anyone gotten the oem exhaust mod done plus deleted their secondary cats? I'm not to familiar with the difference between first and secondary or primary for that matter?

Anyone have any experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
joshparzi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 3-Series

If your looking for more power you should remove your primary cats. The cheapest way to do this is with the Turner Test Pipes. A tune plus a primary cat delete should yield 30-40hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I have had the OEM exhaust mod on my e92 for about 6 months now...definitely an amazing mod considering the money if you ask me. However, curiosity got the best of me and last night I installed a custom x-pipe with zero cats and four resonators. Paired with my modded OEM exhaust it is pretty loud with any prod of the throttle. Zero drone and fairly quiet at crushing speeds, but with moderate to full throttle it is really loud. It is a little too loud for me, so this week I will be reinstalling my un-modded OEM exhaust to try and quiet it down a bit. Hopefully this yields the results I am looking for.*

To conclude, it will probably be really loud. It sounds good and has good tone, but volume is excessive...at least for my taste. I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Whisky
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Thanks for the inputs! Any vids of your set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghempel View Post
I have had the OEM exhaust mod on my e92 for about 6 months now...definitely an amazing mod considering the money if you ask me. However, curiosity got the best of me and last night I installed a custom x-pipe with zero cats and four resonators. Paired with my modded OEM exhaust it is pretty loud with any prod of the throttle. Zero drone and fairly quiet at crushing speeds, but with moderate to full throttle it is really loud. It is a little too loud for me, so this week I will be reinstalling my un-modded OEM exhaust to try and quiet it down a bit. Hopefully this yields the results I am looking for.*

To conclude, it will probably be really loud. It sounds good and has good tone, but volume is excessive...at least for my taste. I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm sorry but I didn't have a chance to get a video. Last night I switched back to my stock OEM rear section and I am MUCH happier. So my set-up currently is an x-pipe with no cats and 4 resonators and the stock rear section.*

This is the exact sound I was looking for. The noise level (loudness) is roughly equivalent to a stock exhaust with the OEM exhaust mod done. But it is much more exotic sounding. A little higher in pitch and very good sound. Hard to describe, I know.*

I'll try and get a video of this set-up over the weekend if you're interested.*

Again, I hope I am of help to you. I know it can be difficult when trying to pick exhausts, especially from you-tube videos.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
Thanks for the inputs! Any vids of your set up?
Appreciate 0