BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Any chance to change power steering feel?

So I am not positive what is involved in "setting" the power steering to the level of "weight" it takes to turn the wheel. Basically having less assist and a more heavy feel. Given the m3 can change to different heaviness of steering, why is it not possible for a tuner to further manipulate this and create heavier steering that so many of us always dream about?

Could be another option in a tune with ability to choose it or stick with the 2 regular choices. Given bmw allows you to toggle between two different ones, I am guessing it is ultimately computer driven as far as how much the pump is working.

Seems like a tuner could do this and really make a profit
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
The first part is probably true, the second is questionable.

It might take considerable time and effort to reverse engineer this part of the system. How many people do you think would want to take advantage of this? And at what cost?

Doesn't seem like there have been a lot of people asking for this.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Ateam
Banned
Rep

However it is one great way to differentiate their tune from others given most of them produce the same gains in hp/torque etc. Choosing a tune is based on preference and there is no better tune necessarily but if one tuner also offered ability to tune power steering feel, I bet that would sway a lot of buyers to go with that one even if it had not previously crossed their mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
So I am not positive what is involved in "setting" the power steering to the level of "weight" it takes to turn the wheel. Basically having less assist and a more heavy feel. Given the m3 can change to different heaviness of steering, why is it not possible for a tuner to further manipulate this and create heavier steering that so many of us always dream about?

Could be another option in a tune with ability to choose it or stick with the 2 regular choices. Given bmw allows you to toggle between two different ones, I am guessing it is ultimately computer driven as far as how much the pump is working.

Not possible. I have a 2009 E90, and have posted here many times about the overboosted steering. However, it is more than an overboost problem. The steering rack is also designed in such a way as to decrease feedback and feel.

As I came from a modded EVO MR, I was used to laser-like steering, which the M3 does not have. I have contacted Dinan, Turner, and a number of other professional and local tuners. There is no way to get into the code that controls steering boost. There is no way to design and build a new rack. There is no demand for this, and the tuners have no interest in this mod, or the liability issues.

In light of this, I did some mods to try and help a bit. I have a Dinan Stage 3 suspension, and the camber plates help with turn-in. I'm running Yoka Advan AD-08s, which are a bit stickier than the stock PS2s. However, the overboosted steering with lack of feel is still there, and I'm not happy.

Frankly, the only solution is to buy and EVO, STi, Porsche, or Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Stock M3 steering is great and weights appropriately with speed. You must be bored. Nobody but you is dreaming of having to expend more effort for no reason in parking lots, dude.
Nope. If you read most major motoring magazines--R&T, C&D, among others, they have all made complaints about the M3 steering feel. Sure it weights up with speed, but the feedback is not great. Do not confuse steering effort with feedback and feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Crotchety Old Man
In a home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 DCT M3

^^^^^
Gotta say I wouldn't quote magazines when it comes to describing our cars. In this case, however, I agree with the over-boosted numbness. I have the heavier setting programmed into my M setting and use it often.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I've noticed on my car with increased negative camber I got better steering feel and it also feels less boosted. I'm running close to 3 deg of neg camber - not ideal for tire longevity on the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotchety Old Man View Post
^^^^^
Gotta say I wouldn't quote magazines when it comes to describing our cars. In this case, however, I agree with the over-boosted numbness. I have the heavier setting programmed into my M setting and use it often.
Guess what?--The new R&T that came today has a large feature article on the new twin turbo M5. A major flaw as per the magazine--poor steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
hubbman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G30 M550i

Light steering feel

I actually noticed the lightness in the steering immediately as I was coming from an E46 M3, which has a much more solid feeling at the steering wheel.

The one nagging side effect to this lighter steering is that I find myself needing to pay closer attention to holding the car in a straight line when I'm just cruising along the highway. Any slight input into the wheel results in the car moving. If I could stiffen it up a bit I would certainly do it. Otherwise, I suppose its just one more thing I'll need to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Guess what?--The new R&T that came today has a large feature article on the new twin turbo M5. A major flaw as per the magazine--poor steering.
That's because it has ELECTRIC POWER STEERING .

I'm very happy with the steering on my M3. Porsche and Ferrari are better, but that's about it in my experience. And it's not far behind those. The important factor is feel and feedback at speed, not in a parking lot. I actually leave mine on the normal setting. Oh, and at least Porsche moved to electric power steering on the 991 and all future models . But just as direct injection, that's the way of the future (lighter, cheaper, more compact, less complex, and no leaks). It should get better over time, I guess. The method of assistance shouldn't dictate how a rack feels, no?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

I would be interested in more feel but don't feel we need more weight to the steering. Particularly in the heavy mode. I also own a 997 and going back and forth between the two, the amount of effort is similar but the Porsche has much more feel. But then again, there isn't a big V8 in the front of the 911 either and the car is a true sports car (vs. sport coupe/sedan for the M3). I don't think the OP is going to get anywhere with this. Even if you could mess with the code to increase the weight/effort of the steering, I doubt many would be interested enough to pay money for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Get an under drive pulley-it should stiffen up your steering. This is a fairly common easy and common mod.

Coming from a E46 M3-I actually prefer the steering of the E9X. And for the misinformed folks here-our cars do not have an electric power steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
The Avi
Boosted Jew
Rep
Drives: 2008 Interlagos Blue M3

I have an Active crank pulley and I have noticed the steering feels a little heavier, especially at low speeds and at idle
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's because it has ELECTRIC POWER STEERING .
FAIL! The new M5 uses hydraulic power steering even though the rest of the new 5 Series lineup uses electric. That too is covered in various magazine articles.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I would be interested in more feel but don't feel we need more weight to the steering. Particularly in the heavy mode. I also own a 997 and going back and forth between the two, the amount of effort is similar but the Porsche has much more feel. But then again, there isn't a big V8 in the front of the 911 either and the car is a true sports car (vs. sport coupe/sedan for the M3). I don't think the OP is going to get anywhere with this. Even if you could mess with the code to increase the weight/effort of the steering, I doubt many would be interested enough to pay money for it.
Agreed. The OP is confusing steering effort with feedback and feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic69 View Post
I have an Active crank pulley and I have noticed the steering feels a little heavier, especially at low speeds and at idle
Tried it. Maybe a bit heavier in effort, but the tactile feedback is not improved.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #17
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Is the "sport" power steering setting really that much different that the standard setting? If it is, I wonder if it would be possible to just retrofit that. It seems that would be a more feasible option.
      11-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Yes what I meant was weight/heaviness, and not necessarily "feel" in the sense of direct driver feedback feel. Just talking about the heaviness of the wheel which I think would be nice to have a bit heavier
Appreciate 0