BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

10-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #67
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
E92M3 - not sure if you have driven the Lotus you mentioned. About 2 years ago my gf and mom rented me the Lotus Elise for the day. That is still my favorite car to drive. I need to rent one again to refresh my memory. But possibly if i had room for 2 cars...I might get a reg car to DD and buy an Exige. I think it is the only car that is closer to a race car than the GT3, and the only car with better steering (best i ever felt, so much feedback, no power steering). Although I might miss my GT3 then. so maybe GT3 and Lotus Exige!!!!
The lotus exige is as close as a racecar as you can get. I have not driven one, but rode in a co-workers Exige S which is his daily driver! Although he has an Altima, it's starting to give him headaches that's why he decided to drive the Exige to work. He didn't mind driving his Exige to work at first, but after almost a month of driving he said that he now wants to drive something that's more comfortable. The harsh ride is pretty much starting to take a toll on his body.

All I could say that the Exige S handles exceptionally well! I am just a passenger and I could really say that it could hug corners easily at very fast speeds. It's fast, nimble, and there is no question that the Exige S is a great weekend warrior, but not an ideal DD. I didn't like the Exige S because it's too small for my taste, the ride is quite harsh, and IMHO getting in and out is a hassle.

I like to own a sports car that I could live with and drive to work at least 3-4 times a week and track 2-3 times a month, that's why I am leaning towards the 997.2 GT3. Non RS version please. Also, I do not plan to modify a GT3 because it's very well prepped and ready for anything out of the box.

I'm not ready to purchase one yet, but want to test drive one sometime this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #68
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

yeah i am to big for the Lotus, or maybe just something that small i couldn't get used to

yeah i have no reason to spend the extra on the RS, if i tracked every weekend then maybe but i really prefer the cleaner low profile look the plain GT3 gives but in its own way still looks sinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Same here man. I would probably wait for the .2 even if I have to wait an extra year or so.

GT3 is definitely looks cleaner without the stickers. I also want that low-profile look.

RS is just too much for me. I don't even go to the track that often. There's no better 2 seater car that I can think of that handles like a rail out of the box that could keep up with a lot of supercars. There's the Lotus Exige S260, but it's just too small of a vehicle for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #69
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

EUROCAR - GT3RS Is UK's Best Driver's Car

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/253307/

The Porsche 911 GT3 RS has emerged victorious in Autocar’s annual Britain’s Best Driver’s Car comparison for 2010.
All seven of Autocar's judges placed Porsche's latest lightweight special at the top of their list, beating off stiff competition from nine other brilliant driver's cars launched during the past year, as well as last year's winner, the Lotus Evora.
See all the cars in action at Autocar's Britain's Best Driver's Car 2010 contest
The three-day test took place at the recently re-opened Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire, as well as some of Britain’s best B-roads that surround Castle Donington.

The 911 GT3 RS took victory ahead of the Noble M600 and, surprisingly, the Ferrari 458 Italia. The Ferrari may have been the quickest around Donington, but its quick steering and transition from understeer to oversteer wasn’t to all of the judges’ tastes.

The Evora finished in fourth place ahead of the Renaultsport Megane 250 Cup, Lotus Elise, Mercedes SLS AMG, Audi RS5, Jaguar XJ Supersport, VW Scirocco and Alpina B5 S.

Editor-at-large Steve Sutcliffe described the 911 GT3 RS as “very possibly the best road car any of us has ever driven around a circuit”.

Chief road tester Matt Prior said of the Porsche: “It’s the most frenetic on-road experience here but, when you’re in the mood, absolutely one of the finest.”
For the full story, see the 13 October edition of Autocar magazine, on sale today.
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #70
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

wow that is impressive taking down the Noble and the new Ferrari which is alot more money

have you ever driven a RS?? how far off is the GT3 from the RS model??

man they put the RS5 in there but not the M3. i wish they would of put the M3 ZCP in there so we could of seen how it did against them, or even the M3 GTS which i guess one could say it is in same category as the RS being track ready and all. of course the RS is lighter though

my detailer i use his friend has the RS, i should of taken him up on his offer to take me for a spin in it last time i was down there. i regret it now grrr

Quote:
EUROCAR - GT3RS Is UK's Best Driver's Car

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/253307/

The Porsche 911 GT3 RS has emerged victorious in Autocar’s annual Britain’s Best Driver’s Car comparison for 2010.
All seven of Autocar's judges placed Porsche's latest lightweight special at the top of their list, beating off stiff competition from nine other brilliant driver's cars launched during the past year, as well as last year's winner, the Lotus Evora.
See all the cars in action at Autocar's Britain's Best Driver's Car 2010 contest
The three-day test took place at the recently re-opened Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire, as well as some of Britain’s best B-roads that surround Castle Donington.

The 911 GT3 RS took victory ahead of the Noble M600 and, surprisingly, the Ferrari 458 Italia. The Ferrari may have been the quickest around Donington, but its quick steering and transition from understeer to oversteer wasn’t to all of the judges’ tastes.

The Evora finished in fourth place ahead of the Renaultsport Megane 250 Cup, Lotus Elise, Mercedes SLS AMG, Audi RS5, Jaguar XJ Supersport, VW Scirocco and Alpina B5 S.

Editor-at-large Steve Sutcliffe described the 911 GT3 RS as “very possibly the best road car any of us has ever driven around a circuit”.

Chief road tester Matt Prior said of the Porsche: “It’s the most frenetic on-road experience here but, when you’re in the mood, absolutely one of the finest.”
For the full story, see the 13 October edition of Autocar magazine, on sale today.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #71
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

I highly recommend the gt3. This is the first time I have ever heard about the RMS issue. Guess I haven't heard much and I dont read forums alot.

If you can afford it, keep checking around for GT'3's I saw a 2007 on eBay a week back that didn't sell. Car was silver and had 4k miles, CPO, exhaust, and nav for 84k. PM me if you want the guys contact.

I picked up 2 weeks ago a 2010 997.2 gt3 for 102k fully loaded, 2,800 miles. Doesnt have carbon ceramics but did sticker for 139k new

and no... I dont miss the M3, only my wife does. (she can drive stick)
      10-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #72
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

102 k is a steal!!!! Congrats.

H BOMB - i havent driven 2010 RS, but i do know there is more of a difference between 997.2 gt3 vs RS then in the 997.1 model. I only think you will feel the difference on the track. Wider car = more stability, has shorter gear ratios, lighter flywheel = revs quicker but louder and clankier on street, 15hp more, bigger wing for more downforce i think around 70lbs more downforce at around 180mph. Stuff you will notice on the track. But only if you are a GOOD driver. And I guarantee you the difference you feel going from your M3 to a GT3, you wont worry about the differences on the RS.

Also, if your ever in LA, CA your welcome to check mine out. Can take it on a nice spin
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #73
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
The lotus exige is as close as a racecar as you can get. I have not driven one, but rode in a co-workers Exige S which is his daily driver! Although he has an Altima, it's starting to give him headaches that's why he decided to drive the Exige to work. He didn't mind driving his Exige to work at first, but after almost a month of driving he said that he now wants to drive something that's more comfortable. The harsh ride is pretty much starting to take a toll on his body.

All I could say that the Exige S handles exceptionally well! I am just a passenger and I could really say that it could hug corners easily at very fast speeds. It's fast, nimble, and there is no question that the Exige S is a great weekend warrior, but not an ideal DD. I didn't like the Exige S because it's too small for my taste, the ride is quite harsh, and IMHO getting in and out is a hassle.

I like to own a sports car that I could live with and drive to work at least 3-4 times a week and track 2-3 times a month, that's why I am leaning towards the 997.2 GT3. Non RS version please. Also, I do not plan to modify a GT3 because it's very well prepped and ready for anything out of the box.

I'm not ready to purchase one yet, but want to test drive one sometime this year.
hey since you are looking for the sporty/nimble/dd/2 seater kind of car. why not get a cayman s with pdk? i think it suit your need and almost as good as the gt3 in the feel department. just not as fast in straight line.

or wait for the strip out version of the cayman s, clubsport
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #74
EternityE92M
Wheel Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 DCT

drool on the GT3... time to start saving up!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #75
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

when i was deciding on the M, i looked and looked and looked for a nice gt3 .1 used with low miles and ceramics. However it was a bitch!!! Lowest one i found was 90k 5 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #76
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
hey since you are looking for the sporty/nimble/dd/2 seater kind of car. why not get a cayman s with pdk? i think it suit your need and almost as good as the gt3 in the feel department. just not as fast in straight line.

Ive only had a brief test drive w/ a cayman but I agree. I only hear the best about these cars. Although doesn't have to be a PDK. I do wish they would make them more aggressive looking, less feminine..thats my only problem with them. I was considering getting one.

Mid Engine, RWD, Top notch steering and handling.

A guy on 6speedonline said he had his running 60-130 in the 10's. The fastest N/A M3 (DLSJ5) ran 10.7 in his....so apparently the caymans can be made quick, and the guys was a stick, so w/ PDK even quicker.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #77
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thank you for that info. that is what i figured it would be things i would only notice on the track and not on the street. also the the reg GT3 would be much better for street driving like you said

thank you very much for that invite, if i am in that area i will shoot you a pm

Quote:
102 k is a steal!!!! Congrats.

H BOMB - i havent driven 2010 RS, but i do know there is more of a difference between 997.2 gt3 vs RS then in the 997.1 model. I only think you will feel the difference on the track. Wider car = more stability, has shorter gear ratios, lighter flywheel = revs quicker but louder and clankier on street, 15hp more, bigger wing for more downforce i think around 70lbs more downforce at around 180mph. Stuff you will notice on the track. But only if you are a GOOD driver. And I guarantee you the difference you feel going from your M3 to a GT3, you wont worry about the differences on the RS.

Also, if your ever in LA, CA your welcome to check mine out. Can take it on a nice spin
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #78
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i agree, such a awesome car but only if they made it more manly looking. i looked into getting one before i got my M3 but after looking at the M3 and the Cayman side by side at a car meet it was a no brainer in the looks department. and if you put a cayman and a GT3 side by side forget about it

i think there was a member on L4P that had a wide body kit on a Cayman and that looked alot better

Quote:
Ive only had a brief test drive w/ a cayman but I agree. I only hear the best about these cars. Although doesn't have to be a PDK. I do wish they would make them more aggressive looking, less feminine..thats my only problem with them. I was considering getting one.

A guy on 6speedonline said he had his running 60-130 in the 10's. The fastest N/A M3 (DLSJ5) ran 10.7 in his....so apparently the caymans can be made quick, and the guys was a stick, so w/ PDK even quicker.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #79
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

A lot of my friends tell me the same thing man. "Get the Cayman S instead". PDK is not bad, but I'd prefer to have a stick. Just like DD GT3 RD had said, I also find the Cayman S a little soft (feminine), but I do not mind owning one if it is almost as good as the GT3 in the feel department. I have no problem even though it's slower in a straight line.

I'm in no rush into getting a GT3 because I also want to test drive the Cayman clubsport when it comes out. It's cheaper, a better DD, and a lot more comfortable than the GT3 for sure.

There's also the '10 Boxster Spyder to consider. Heard it's not DD friendly though.

Choices choices choices...

Last edited by e92_m3; 10-13-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #80
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

what difference will the Cayman Clubsport have from the Cayman S?? also how long till it comes out??

thanks

Quote:
A lot of my friends tell me the same thing man. "Get the Cayman S instead". PDK is not bad, but I'd prefer to have a stick. Just like DD GT3 RD had said, I also find the Cayman S a little soft (feminine), but I do not mind owning one if it is almost as good as the GT3 in the feel department. I have no problem even though it's slower in a straight line.

I'm in no rush into getting a GT3 because I also want to test drive the Cayman S clubsport when it comes out. It's cheaper, a better DD, and a lot more comfortable than the GT3 for sure.

There's also the '10 Boxster Spyder to consider. Heard it's not DD friendly though.

Choices choices choices...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #81
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
what difference will the Cayman Clubsport have from the Cayman S?? also how long till it comes out??

thanks
As far as I know, Porsche is doing the same thing to the Cayman S like what they have done to the '10 Boxster Spyder.

Porsche will be using weight-saving components for the clubsport. For sure, they will also make the interior much simpler. Maybe install cloth door pull handles just like the '10 Boxter Spyder?? I also read that the Cayman clubsport will have a limited-slip differential as a standard option. Exterior wise, the clubsport will be fitted with a unique bodykit that sports a different look for the front and rear bumpers. Horray for me coz no more soft, feminine look here.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #82
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh wow if they do that, then it might be worth looking at esp if it is more manly looking when finished

Quote:
As far as I know, Porsche is doing the same thing to the Cayman S like what they have done to the '10 Boxster Spyder.

Porsche will be using weight-saving components for the clubsport. For sure, they will also make the interior much simpler. Maybe install cloth door pull handles just like the '10 Boxter Spyder?? I also read that the Cayman clubsport will have a limited-slip differential as a standard option. Exterior wise, the clubsport will be fitted with a unique bodykit that sports a different look for the front and rear bumpers. Horray for me coz no more soft, feminine look here.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #83
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Congrats!

You meant your wife CANT drive stick right?
Oooops should have used spell check!

Yes the wife CAN NOT drive stick lol. THANK GOD!
      10-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #84
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

agree. it does look kinda girly.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #85
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm in no rush into getting a GT3 because I also want to test drive the Cayman clubsport when it comes out. It's cheaper, a better DD, and a lot more comfortable than the GT3 for sure.
I am quoting myself on what I said a month ago.

I guess Porsche is not calling it the Cayman Clubsport. They are calling it the Cayman R. Name sounds a lot meaner than Clubsport.

Take a look:
http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/5...-cayman-r.html

It's currently being shown in the Los Angeles auto show. The Cayman R can also be seen on the Porshe website btw. You can actually purchase one now.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #86
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

^disappointed to say the least
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0