BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

External mic testing gopro

I did a few tests of mic locations. Some work some dont. I feel like any setup with the mic cables inside the car and prone to any frequencies makes my gopro act up.

Mic in ashtray seems to work but too much in cabin noise (shifting, wind, talking).

Mic wired to the rear bumper using the backseat pass through - has static and gopro likes to shut itself off randomly.

Mic wired to the floor foot rest of front passenger seat seems to cause some radio frequency static as well.

Mic wired to the outside of the car out the rear windows and down the rear windshield into the trunk seems fine but too much wind noise (will try taping the mic to the license plate rather than the bumper)

Other options are to wire the mic to the outside like above but through the door instead of the window and to try the glove box.

I guess wired to any location outside of the car is best. Can anyone chime in? Ive googled this for weeks and posts are not too detailed.

Gopro is mounted to a diy headrest mount.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

how about to the side view mirrors? getting front footage is probably tricky but if youre in the back and want to get exhaust sounds, just mount it on the license plate. i tried it with success.. minimal wind noise. (gp3 silver).
      05-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Mic wired to the rear bumper using the backseat pass through - has static and gopro likes to shut itself off randomly.

No static with this setup. Tape the mic securely facing down on the bumper (not facing out) and it'll work.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
paulbrenneman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

In lots of car reviews ive seen them clip the lapel mic to the seat belt and it seems to pick up the drivers voice pretty good.

As a general thought, Id recommend against using a hyper cardinoid mic for anything car related. Dynamic or cardinoid would probably work best? Just thinking out loud here
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I have an audotechnica pro70 withxlr cables and the power seems to strong for the camera. It acts up just like when static hits. So i bought just an extension and the sony ecm whatever its called.

No static through the pass through? Im tying it to the top of the truck and not taping to the trunk mat. Maybe thats why?? I may have to go out the door through the window trim and on the license plate. Ill try more today. My track day is tomorrow. Watch when i get there bmw cca will say this headrest mount is not safe. Will take my suction cup mount in case and mount outside
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun
Quote:

No static with this setup. Tape the mic securely facing down on the bumper (not facing out) and it'll work.
How are your wires setup in the trunk? Just taped on the trunk mat down the middle?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Please post details about the "diy headrest mount."

I am new to the GoPro and looking for tips.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo
Please post details about the "diy headrest mount."

I am new to the GoPro and looking for tips.
There are a lot on other forums if you google it. Its a pvc pipe with 4 holes drilled so you can buckle U bolts to the headrest stands. Then just bolt some wingnuts and use the adhesive gopro mount i can post pics. Its ghetto as hell haha
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Clip the mic to the license plate facing down. I've never had a issue with static.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

what mic are you using? Can you link me to a product page?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I ran it yesterday with the mic taped to the license plate and wiring theough the pass through and the vids are great.

Ill post a picture of my diy headrest and mic setup and videos from the track in the track session later today or tomorrow when i have time. Now on to learning how to edit these damn videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I ran it yesterday with the mic taped to the license plate and wiring theough the pass through and the vids are great.

Ill post a picture of my diy headrest and mic setup and videos from the track in the track session later today or tomorrow when i have time. Now on to learning how to edit these damn videos.
Glad it worked. My plate comes off at the track so that wouldn't work for me. To answer your previous question, I loop the mic cable around the headrest mount, down the belt anchor on the floor, through the back seat and spool it under the trunk well (where the mobility kit is). 2 small pieces of tape, one on the bumper horizontally and one vertical, voila!

That's with a audiotechnica ATR-3550 btw
Appreciate 0