BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #23
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I don't think so. Both Edmunds and Yahoo have it down as $48,900. Not a big difference, but still...At the 4% annual increase rate, that would put the 08 M3 around $53k. Regardless, it will all boil down to what, if any, premium BMW thinks the market will pay for the new model.
that's very true but like you mentioned above regarding the porsche. BMW isnt stupid, they have always been very competitive regarding price relative to the segment any particular model is in. anything above 55 fully loaded would put it around 70 i'd guess which where they will not let the car go past. its dangerously close to a carrera, an M5, among many other cars that are in a higher segment. i still believe the max the base price will be is $56K. NO MORE.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

After all the early speculation of $65K base prices, it is good to see the consensus here is a more reasonable mid-50Ks. I totally agree, especially since BMW only increased the price of the 3 series about $2K when they went from the NA 3-liter to the twin-turbo with WAY more performance.

If you don't think you can afford the M3, get the poor man's M3 sedan: the 335i SEDAN. I am taking European delivery of mine this summer. With a couple of mods (PROcede piggyback ECU, LSD, maybe coil-overs - $5K mods) it will be very close to as fast and good-handling as the M3.

THen, when the M3 sedan comes out in 2 years I can decide to keep it or go with the M.
      05-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #25
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

whta bout 07 X5 4.8is?! i LOVE mine
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #26
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

If you're considering a RR Sport, this can't be about affordability.........

If you're an enthusiast, you will not be happy in anything other than an enthusiast's car, trust me. It will end up costing you a lot more in the long run because you will be driving some big sloppy (although luxurious)SUV and looking over longingly at the guy in the M3/Porsche/whatever.

Don't make an expensive $$ mistake.

Do you need a RR Sport now?

You can't make huge purchase decisions based on "what if" or perceived future needs -- I've been there and it's an expensive $$ mistake. Look at what you have now -- if there's something lacking, make a change. If not, live with it.

FWIW!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

M3 = 80K

i was at a dealer last month.........

335i convertible = 76K
      05-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

yeah, MSRP on the 335i convertable is 49K...and what was that dealer smoking?...i guess there are always a few idiots who will pay way too much to take delivery of a just released car, but it is hard to imagine there are people stupid enough to pay 27K extra. anyway, whatever...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
yeah, MSRP on the 335i convertable is 49K...and what was that dealer smoking?...i guess there are always a few idiots who will pay way too much to take delivery of a just released car, but it is hard to imagine there are people stupid enough to pay 27K extra. anyway, whatever...
MSRP with options = $61 + 15k mark-up = 76k
      05-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

OK, i'll modify my post then to:

I guess there are always a few idiots who will pay way too much to take delivery of a just released car, but it is hard to imagine there are people stupid enough to pay 15K extra...

The point is if one waits for a few (6-9) months, prices will return to reasonable levels after the idiots with too much money are shaken down by the dealers. (Well, maybe some of them are too rich to care). And, the 76K for the 335i is the dealers asking price. Do you know if anyone actually agreed to pay that much (I doubt there are people out there who are that stupid).

Finally, read the posts from people who have put money down for an M3. It sounds like most of them were told they would not be charged more than MSRP by their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #31
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

base price for the M3 in the USA will most likely be 57K. I doubt very much if the base price is over 60K....

I am ordering mine through the military sales program and I was quoated an estimate of 50K which is apparently 10% off of MSRP. Pentagon car sales is fairly confident with their estimate.

Jason
      05-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #32
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not to be rude but, are you out of your mind??

What possible advantage could an overpriced SUV have over the M3? Price is basically a wash between the two. And the RR will get like 10 MPG. Not that fuel price matters much when you are spending 60k anyway, but man that thing is going to burn through a tank in like 3 days.

If you are simply looking for more space - don't fall into the trap of married + kids = SUV or minivan. At the very least consider the M3 sedan.
No I am not that crazy, and I’m still considering the M3, but I will be leasing the car regardless of cost (I am an independent contractor and get to write off about 80% of my lease) and WE ALL KNOW that leasing figures on the M3 when it comes out WILL BE THROUGH THE ROOF.

Figure a well spec’d out M3 comes out to around $65K, which is what I honestly think, with about $2500-3500 down/drive off, I’ll probably be looking at monthly payments somewhere north of $1K a month. I realize that lease rates on the RR Sport aren’t too favorable now, but I would imagine that come sometime next year (when my lease is up on the S4), I can probably get an RR Sport for somewhere in the high $700 a month range.

I LOVE the look of the RR Sport, as does my wife. My plan is to drive the RR Sport for about 1-2 years, then give the lease to my wife, sell her X5 and use that cash to get the E92 M3 or a P-car, at which point lease rates on the E92 M3 will probably be easier to swallow. Also I’ve got a company gas card, so fortunately gas prices aren’t a concern to me.

You feel me?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #33
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
If you're considering a RR Sport, this can't be about affordability.........

If you're an enthusiast, you will not be happy in anything other than an enthusiast's car, trust me. It will end up costing you a lot more in the long run because you will be driving some big sloppy (although luxurious)SUV and looking over longingly at the guy in the M3/Porsche/whatever.

Don't make an expensive $$ mistake.

Do you need a RR Sport now?

You can't make huge purchase decisions based on "what if" or perceived future needs -- I've been there and it's an expensive $$ mistake. Look at what you have now -- if there's something lacking, make a change. If not, live with it.

FWIW!

Good take.

Really what it boils down to is that I am 27 (will be 28 when the M3 comes out), will likely be starting a family soon (-1 for a coupe), am in a business where driving clients around is important (-2 for a coupe), and am likely looking at a mortgage of somewhere in the $4500 - $5500 range for a 50 year old 1,600 sq ft “STARTER” home here in L.A. for somewhere around $950K.

I would KILL for the new M3, I know for a fact that I will absolutely own one one day, but right now it might be tough. Like all of you I am a car nut. Nearly every other car you see on the road here in L.A. is a 5 series, E class, A6, M45 Infiniti, GS Lexus etc; this is a large reason why I opt’d for the S4, a little more unique amongst a sea of mid level luxury sedans. Now granted Range Rovers and RR Sports are arguably the most common luxury SUV’s here in L.A. but there is just something about them that I LOVE! Plus like I said in my post above, I will likely drive it for about 2 years then give it to my wife and THEN step up and get a fun car like the M3 or the P-car. I think right now with a new pending mortgage, possible kids on the way, I am kind of in a transition period, so I would rather take it somewhat conservative (albeit a RR Sport will still be pricey), then see where I am in a few years from now.

Make more sense now?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
You feel me?
Yeah. Your original post made it sound like you were leasing the RR instead of an M3. Sounds more like you are leasing the RR because it will be handed off to the wife, which makes much more sense. Although, its too bad you can't convince the wife she would be happier in a 335i, 535i (including wagon) or 550i instead of an SUV. That would give you a much more fun ride for the next two years. Not that I am saying the RR is bad mind you, but its still a heavy SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #35
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah. Your original post made it sound like you were leasing the RR instead of an M3. Sounds more like you are leasing the RR because it will be handed off to the wife, which makes much more sense. Although, its too bad you can't convince the wife she would be happier in a 335i, 535i (including wagon) or 550i instead of an SUV. That would give you a much more fun ride for the next two years. Not that I am saying the RR is bad mind you, but its still a heavy SUV.
Yeah, you are right, though my wife is definitely an SUV fan. She currently drives a ’05 X5 and absolutely loves it. As much as she would probably enjoy driving a nice car like a 335i, 5 series, etc I think she likes the stability and height of an SUV.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #36
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Stability of an SUV??? You're joking, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #37
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stability of an SUV??? You're joking, right?
Maybe stability was the wrong word, solidity, sturdiness; basically she feels safe.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #38
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

Quote:
I came to a sad realization today

I don't think I'll be able to afford the new M3. On a positive side hopefully within the next month or two my (new) wife and I will be closing escrow on a house here in Studio City, CA. Anyone familiar with CA home prices let alone Studio City can probably guess that our monthly mortgage will be THROUGH THE ROOF

As much as I'd love the new M3, paying likley above $900 or $1000 per month to lease it just won't make sense

Range Rover Sport here I come

you're doing the right move, these folks trying to afford an M3 are suckers to a depreciating commodity
      05-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #39
horatiub
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

settle for the 335i for now
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #40
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well I am married now, and kids probably aren't too far off, so a coupe doesn't make too much sense, but of course there could be exceptions (M3, P-car, etc). Also I am in a line of work that does require driving clients around every now and then so coupes can be trickey (that;s why I got the B7 Audi S4 over the E46 M3).

Truth be told, I would opt for the Cayenne S over the RR Sport, however the RR Sport is cheaper, and I'd rather not have a base Cayenne.

I think RR gets a bad rap about their quality/service. YES, RR probbaly has more cars recalled than they should, but in the grand scheme of things the number is relatively low, albeit higher than makes like Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc.

My mom has an '07 Range Rover and she absolutely LOVES it. It is her favorite car she has ever had. in fact my father drives it many times over with MBZ SL.

Still haven't ruled the M3 out though. Decisions...decisions...

Your mom has an 07 RR and your dad has an SL? You need some handouts from your parents!!! Your dad can give each of you $11k without IRS penalties and your mom can give each of you $11k too! There's 44k for you to spend on your new M3! Do it for tax year 2007 and 2008 and you have your new M3 with mods
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #41
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFavourite View Post
tell the wife to get a f%%^&ing job and pay for her own car? why should you miss out to appease her? thats BS, maybe trade the wife in not the car?
HAHA

Believe it or not, she actually has a high level director job with a major cosmetics company as the Global Marketing Director. So a "trendy" fashion type of job means "trendy" L.A. SUV (see RR Sport, BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne).

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Your mom has an 07 RR and your dad has an SL? You need some handouts from your parents!!! Your dad can give each of you $11k without IRS penalties and your mom can give each of you $11k too! There's 44k for you to spend on your new M3! Do it for tax year 2007 and 2008 and you have your new M3 with mods
First off it has been raised to $12K from $11K. And secondly we have already hit up Grandpa for an advance on our $24K ($12K each) gift for '08 so we can apply it to a down payment on a house

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #42
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:

Figure a well spec’d out M3 comes out to around $65K, which is what I honestly think, with about $2500-3500 down/drive off, I’ll probably be looking at monthly payments somewhere north of $1K a month. I realize that lease rates on the RR Sport aren’t too favorable now, but I would imagine that come sometime next year (when my lease is up on the S4), I can probably get an RR Sport for somewhere in the high $700 a month range.

I LOVE the look of the RR Sport, as does my wife. My plan is to drive the RR Sport for about 1-2 years, then give the lease to my wife, sell her X5 and use that cash to get the E92 M3 or a P-car, at which point lease rates on the E92 M3 will probably be easier to swallow. Also I’ve got a company gas card, so fortunately gas prices aren’t a concern to me.
I do feel you but being a Rover owner myself I can tell you that RRS lease payments will NEVER be $700 plus/month......that's freakin' 335i territory.... The cheaper LR3 is $800-850/month.. However if you must have an RRS then I suggest you look on Leasetrader.com for a good deal at taking over payments or at a Pre-Owned one on Autotrader. I would also strongly suggest renting one for a day at Beverly Hills rent a car.....Why?............

well......I have an S4 as well and I think you might be surprised to see after spending a day with it that it's not quite up to being the great SUV you think it is......especially after being used to the fit and finish of the S4..... Anyways, just my 2 cents.........
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #43
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Tongue - hurts - from - biting - it -

Whatever happens, sounds like you are all set ..... no reason to be "sad" here.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 01:29 AM   #44
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
isn't the range rover more than the M3?
have you taken a look at BMW leases lately? let alone in California? Let alone L.A.?!?

this guy can probably get his hands on a RRsport for around 800 a month now, but there are people walking out of showrooms with 335 convertible on average at 1,000/mo. An M3, a car a terrible residual and long waiting list is gonna be upwards of 1100 if not more. mark my words.
Appreciate 0